Green Tractor Talk banner

I bought Goodwork's other 4720 unicorn yesterday.

39K views 283 replies 42 participants last post by  ttazzman 
#1 ·
Any of you following Goodworks channel on Youtube might have seen his 4720 unicorn video earlier this week.
Where he is showing off 1 of 2 4720's that he got in, that both had a mid PTO with belly mowers on them.

I am sure most of you might have know that as of the past several years, there never was the mid pto feature for the 4 series it had been limited to the 3R and not available on 4R machines.
Turns out JD used to offer an optional mid PTO on the 4 Series in the prior generation.
I never knew such a machine existed till this week that is.
Which is why he titled his video "Found a unicorn". He hadn't ever seen one either.

I had actually wished JD had made a 4r with mid pto and belly mower, I would not have had much reason for keeping my 3039R around.

Well long story short, the one seen in the video was already sold, he mentioned a 2nd one on the way, I bought the other one last night.

With this discovery hopefully it will allow me some more flexibility to make a couple other tractor changes down the road.
Giving me the option to still have 2, 4 series machine being this new to me 4720 and my 4066R will solve that,
I think this will allow me the flexibility to down grade my other current 4044R possibly back down to a much smaller more compact machine like a 1025R, which that could turn out to where I can also get a belly mower for the 1025R and cut one of the X7s loose as well.
Possibly maybe someday down the road bit further, I might trade my current 4066R on up to my dream tractor which is decked out 5R with a suspension cab and front end, not sure on the 5R plan, but the downsizing the 4044R to a 1025R will likely happen sooner then later.

I traded in my 3039R for the 4720.

The whole 5R dream machine idea aside, since that may never happen, I believe in the end I will have reduced my overal equipment investment dollars significantly and improved my overall capability in my machines by adding this new mid pto 4 series discovery .

Here is a few pics of the one I purchased.
Cant wait to see it in person.

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
For some reason I don't think that is a drive over deck.... :ROFLMAO:

Congrats. I had watched that video as well. I just don't have a need for something that big.

#5 · (Edited)
You know, I have the drive over 72D deck on my 3039R right now, that I am trading for this 4720, and for the life of me I never can get that thing on and off like they show in the videos.
I am not to sure, that I wont be happier with this style deck that you have to drag out from under it.
I do have several machines that I can throw a tow strap on and drag that 7 iron out from under there whenever needed. I also hope that with these larger 4 series tires and this different style mounting system, that this thing will have more ground clearance when the deck is up, to better clear obstacles, then the 3R can.
I do think there is going to be some up side to having this be it more dated mower deck design.

#6 ·
Congratulations should make you an awesome tractor.

Reactions: PJR832 and cc1999
#9 ·
i am in the market for a 4720 and watched that video a few days ago ......i need a 540e model and not a mid pto so i didnt contact him...

congrats on the purchase

in my opinion the mid pto does add a lot of versitility but 60hp 4 series on a belly mower does seem to be a costly overkill thus the unicorn aspect

i thought the scv setup in the original machine was well done and intresting and probably a very reasonably priced way to get multiple scvs out the back

#10 ·
Yea, I liked that rear service setup as well on that one in the video.
I think that one in general had a few more options then mine.

I only have a 3rd svc which its located on the rear and operated by the thumb button.
Not sure why they did it that way.

My 4066R has a 3rd service in the joystick button but it connects out on the loader where I would think it should be, since its control is on the loader joystick. lol .
I have separate 4th and 5th rear services on my 4066 and quite often that still isn't enough. lol
Every time I pull my bat wing mower I have to disconnect my power top link.

I will likely need to add a few things to this 4720 to best suit my needs overall. 4th and 5th rear service will be on the list and remote locating that joystick service to the front if available. Also a mulch kit will likely go on that deck, also if still available. That is a concern of mine that with this older generation tractor, how many accessory upgrade kits are likely still available for it.

However I am happy that mine is a little newer being a 2012 vs the 2008 seen in the video and mine also is coming with brand new tires and I think maybe just a little bit cleaning unit overall. Not seen it in person yet so wont know that for sure till it gets here.

Reactions: PJR832
#14 ·
I'm super happy with my 4720, I suppose a belly mower would be okay for a large turf grass field but not so good in a pasture.

Reactions: ttazzman and cc1999
#16 ·
My weekly mowing ritual has been much improved this year.
Where last year it was a task that would span over multiple days or several evenings.

Now I knock out about 80% of it with the 4066R and the 17 foot bat wing in about an hour.

Then I generally do as much trimming with the 3039R as I possibly can since the 3039R has AC . lol
typically 1-2 hours.

Then follow up with about 1 hr sometimes more on the X758 getting into all the super tight places and trimming everything I can't get to with the 3039R.

So depending on how much I need or want to do each week, I now spend about 2-3 hours most weeks on mowing, where last year It seemed like I was on mower everyday at some point or all weekend long.

Much much better now. I just didn't really want all 3 of the larger machines, this new found unicorn will let me drop down to 2 larger machines and maybe add back a 1025R, that would also take out one of the X7s in addition to being able to fit in tight areas for minor loader/dirt work it could mow or possibly bag with the bagger system Tim has on Johnny 1, which I have looked at buying a few times over the past few years. Might actually get one now.

Running across this unusually optioned 4720 has opened up several possibilities.

#15 ·
Yea I watch him all the time and his inventory. I was Wondering if they were gone. Congrats looks like a great purchase.

Reactions: cc1999
#17 ·
Any of you following Goodworks channel on Youtube might have seen his 4720 unicorn video earlier this week.
Where he is showing off 1 of 2 4720's that he got in, that both had a mid PTO with belly mowers on them.

I am sure most of you might have know that as of the past several years, there never was the mid pto feature for the 4 series it had been limited to the 3R and not available on 4R machines.
Turns out JD used to offer an optional mid PTO on the 4 Series in the prior generation.
I never knew such a machine existed till this week that is.
Which is why he titled his video "Found a unicorn". He hadn't ever seen one either.

I had actually wished JD had made a 4r with mid pto and belly mower, I would not have had much reason for keeping my 3039R around.

Well long story short, the one seen in the video was already sold, he mentioned a 2nd one on the way, I bought the other one last night.

With this discovery hopefully it will allow me some more flexibility to make a couple other tractor changes down the road.
Giving me the option to still have 2, 4 series machine being this new to me 4720 and my 4066R will solve that,
I think this will allow me the flexibility to down grade my other current 4044R possibly back down to a much smaller more compact machine like a 1025R, which that could turn out to where I can also get a belly mower for the 1025R and cut one of the X7s loose as well.
Possibly maybe someday down the road bit further, I might trade my current 4066R on up to my dream tractor which is decked out 5R with a suspension cab and front end, not sure on the 5R plan, but the downsizing the 4044R to a 1025R will likely happen sooner then later.

I traded in my 3039R for the 4720.

The whole 5R dream machine idea aside, since that may never happen, I believe in the end I will have reduced my overal equipment investment dollars significantly and improved my overall capability in my machines by adding this new mid pto 4 series discovery .

Here is a few pics of the one I purchased.
Cant wait to see it in person.

View attachment 752450
View attachment 752451
View attachment 752452

Great pick up!! What year is it? I have the same set up with ALL the options. Best money I ever spent. Why I'm asking is if yours is built in 2011 - 2013 there are large changes in not just power but hydraulics. While the first on GW sold in the best you could do. The hydraulic options on the newer 4720's are much, much better.I have a total of 7 SCV's on mine that are all usable, before splitting anything.

One word of caution about the mower set up. First it is not a drive over deck, and two you have to crawl under the tractor to manually connect the PTO shaft, and it is a bugger of a place to get at. We just bit the bullet, and crawl under the axle from behind to hook up the PTO shaft. Unless you're a young Gumby!

Mower deck height is an issue. I made the same mistake the previous owner of yours,and the first one GW tractors sold.They have R4's on them. Even if the Dealer ordered the tractor with the smaller 16.9 R4's instead of the bigger tires they normally come with, the back of the deck WILL rub hard on the tires just to get the deck 2 1/2 inches off the ground. Making ground clearance a big issue.
But there is a fix. A complete set of turf tires. The only way to get the deck up to an acceptable height for transport. Had my dealer told me about the clearance issue, instead of just telling me "you don't want a belly mower on it" and just look at me when I said yeah I do, I would have got turfs, and added a set of AG tires for loader work. Live and learn. I got lucky and another local dealer bought a set of turfs from the Deere auction for dealers only (a totally different, long conversation) to have in stock. Turfs allow you to get 6 or more inches of clearance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your tractor, I have one.

Most of the dealers didn't even know there was a mid-pto for these. It is a field install option, gotten thru "whole goods" at the time. Things were changing at the time,and it was crazy.The dealer I got mine from tried to tell me you couldn't get a mid-pto on the 4x20 series. When he found out he was wrong and I was right he yielded. Said it wasn't worth it just to run a MMM, as there is no front blower option. Only a loader mounted one, power by a rear PTO driven hydraulic power pack for about 10-12G. I said I know, I want that too, that will be one of the main purposes for the tractor.

Good Works Tractor call these a Unicorn, I call it my Deeracorn. These two make a total of 6 that I have seen, including mine, since 2013. I got lucky, held out, and got one of the very last ones to role off the line, even got it WITHOUT the RIO.

You are just going to love your tractor. It is real, real heavy, too heavy for most people's lawns, and really uses a good amount of fuel to just run a 72" deck. I don't use mine much at all now, but if you had no other choice, it can be used as a brush cutter. It is built that heavy.

Please post plenty of pics when you can! These just look badass with a mower on them. I think I watched that video three times, just to remember how cool mine looked. Any questions just ask,and again, best of luck with your multi purpose ANIMAL!

Allen.

#18 ·
How much......maybe I missed it?
Is it for sale?
Which one plus ca$h L or R....?

#20 ·
???
Not sure L or R ?
as the title of the thread mentions , I just bought it.
I don’t plan to sell it any time soon.
not real sure what your asking.

Reactions: raco232
#22 ·
Congratulations on finding that tractor.

I remember your post about the 17' batwing mower. How much grass do you mow every week?

#23 ·
Around 10 -11 acres . Depends on how high the water is in my 8 acre pond. It varies a little. Water is down a lot right now. Adds at least an acre maybe 2 to yard whenever it’s down like it is right now.

Reactions: rtgt
#29 ·
The pics below the video in the original post of this thread is mine.
The 1 in the video is not.
It looks to me like the deck is raised and setting 4-6” off the ground and clearing the rear tires. not by a lot .
does deck float around and get into the tires?
You mentioned the 7 iron Being stout , that’s great . I do from time to time raise deck on the 3039 with Newer style drive over autocorrect 72d deck and I do exactly that with it, no small trees or anything but light brush no problem. Good to know I will still be able to do that.

#27 ·
Goodworks is taking care of arranging the trucking.
I have done it several times myself for different equipment over the years , and used a online service called u-ship.
it’s no big deal to move equipment coast to coast just adds cost the larger it is and the further it has to travel.
Moving a 4 series half way across the country should run $1000-1200 as a ball park .

#31 ·
Height of cut is controlled by the position of the 3PT hitch, Swiss cheese, and pin stop it is. Not my favorite way of lifting the deck. Here is the funny thing, the 4720 has what appears to be a lifting shaft going thru the main cast housing that you can rotate 360 degrees. I was told that because of the location and size of the trans filter, among some undefined reasons, Deere didn't engineer a hydraulic lift for it.

Having dealt with Deere for decades, most times when Deere says something isn't compatible it ends up being a simple tweak/re-fab/slight re-position/smaller filter to make something work. I have always wanted to see if i could at least control the deck with hyd lift and a depth stop, maybe even adapting a drive over deck, even auto connect. Just never had access to that kind of deck until now.

Why else would they put that size of a shaft thru the main case that has full rotation, and keyways cut in both ends of the shaft? Sure looks like a spot to attach lift arms.

I once saw a listing on Machine Finder for a DOM that was said to fit the 4x20 series tractors. Listing had no pics, called dealer to talk about it and he said, yep no problem it would fit/work on my 4720 cause it came off a 4 series. I asked for some pics, but never heard from him again. Listing was up for years, then disappeared. There is no listing in JD parts for it or anything from "whole goods" till that was transformed to something else.

Now that I have a Gen2 2032R with a 72" Auto Connect DOM. I soooo want to put both in the shop, and start sizing things up.

At the time Deere's concern was people trying to drive over deck with the added weight of having the loader on the tractor, which is a real concern. A cabbed 4720 may even be pushing it. I would like to find out, but not a the risk of thousands of dollars.

One day i might just say the H**L with it!! The load-n-go lifting brackets do add a good amount of structure, and weight transfer towards outer part of the deck where the deck can handle the most weight. Stay tuned, someday, maybe!!

Allen.

#32 ·
Fancy machine ya got there.

Reactions: rtgt and cc1999
#33 ·
That deck is called a "7 Iron" for a reason, 7 gauge steel, built like a s**t brick house, and just as heavy to lift. My 72 on the 955 I had was 7 gauge steel and I did mow over stuff/trees that was pushing if not over 1 inch. It sounded quite bad, but never missed a beat for years. Use the technique you said and keep it well greased and clean. that is what I did, and never replaced anything but the belt, and that had a crack in it that went half thru it the day I bought it used, and lasted 2 yrs before it snapped in half.

May be the deck shell is that high in your pic, but the wheels aren't. I could be wrong. All I can tell you is mine wasn't, and it was infuriating that I couldn't get over even the slightest mounds, limbs, or rocks without the deck sounding either like it was comming thru the floorof the cab, or flying apart.

#34 ·
I do know what you mean about frustrations with the clearances on these bigger machines and MMMs. My 3039R has the larger R4s on it, gives the deck more ground clearance but it is really tight with my 3" wheel spacers and the right rear gauge wheel.
It clears and the brackets tend to hold it place well enough to keep it out of that tire. I have bolt sheer on one of the brackets that held it on and allowed it to move or flex around to much and it can get messy with those big tires and MMM.
I was in hopes since this machine was offered by Deere this way, that I would not be fighting it so much on this one.
I am exited to see how it all works.
Having a backup machine capable of same HP as my 4066 will allow it to also be able pull the 17ft batwing mower whenever the 4066 is tied up/setup for other chores. I think even if the belly mower is quite all that I hoped it would be, I still will have more versatilty then I do now with less tied up having 3039R, 4044R, and 4066R.

#38 ·
I do know what you mean about frustrations with the clearances on these bigger machines and MMMs. My 3039R has the larger R4s on it, gives the deck more ground clearance but it is really tight with my 3" wheel spacers and the right rear gauge wheel.
It clears and the brackets tend to hold it place well enough to keep it out of that tire. I have bolt sheer on one of the brackets that held it on and allowed it to move or flex around to much and it can get messy with those big tires and MMM.
I was in hopes since this machine was offered by Deere this way, that I would not be fighting it so much on this one.
I am exited to see how it all works.
Having a backup machine capable of same HP as my 4066 will allow it to also be able pull the 17ft batwing mower whenever the 4066 is tied up/setup for other chores. I think even if the belly mower is quite all that I hoped it would be, I still will have more versatilty then I do now with less tied up having 3039R, 4044R, and 4066R.
That is a good point about using the 4720 on the batwing. Sometimes I wish I had another tractor to run my batwing, so I could leave the loader and backhoe on the 4720.

#35 ·
Anyone have an opinion which is the better engine.
The 4066's 2.1L 4cyl yanmar
or
The 4720's 2.4L 4cyl John deere.
This will be my only true deere engine machine.
Everything from my X7s to the Gators to the tractors today all have Yanmar engines in them .
So far never had any issues with any of them.

The other nice thing about this 2012 4720 is it is a pre-emission tractor, so no DPF regenning to mess with.

#36 ·
My '05 4720 is the open station version of this unicorn; in fact, she's sitting in my front yard just now, as I'm taking a break between mowing fields.

The JD Equipment dealer talked me out of a MMM six years ago when I purchased this machine; I can't remember his rationale. I'm very happy with my RMRFM that I'm using currently.

Brian

#37 ·
Nice.
I have some vertebra issues in my neck , watching equipment up close behind me can and is generally a real problem for me.
My 17ft bat wing finish mower sets far enough back being that it is a pull type and is wide enough I can see it.
A regular 3pt finish mower would never work for me. Belly mower is much easier on my neck.

I think the whole Unicorn thing is because it's a 4 series with MMM.
It was mostly thought to not even be an option to put a MMM on 4 series .

Apparently it was an option for the 4X20 family. Its not an option on the current 4R series.
The 4720 model in general was pretty popular model as I understand it, just with mid PTO and a MMM makes it a crazy rare configuration to have on any 4 series machine.

Reactions: Kennyd
#43 ·
Well to update the thread. There were some trucking delays in the tractor making it to Goodworks.
it arrived at goodworks week later then expected. He sent me these pics of it Friday when it arrived.
New or latest ETA to me is at least another week, next Friday probably the earliest.

#46 ·
No doubt a concern for sure if pushed into a bind . The 3039R is tight as well and I have had issues with that very thing happening. I have started to figure out what sort of terrain maneuvers to avoid .
Will soon see how it goes with the larger 4 series .

#47 ·
For what it's worth, the red slow vehicle sign in the rear of the tractor can be easily be removed by lifting straight up, no fasteners to mess with. Slick design. I took mine off since I rarely run my 4720 on our road.

#48 ·
Oh yea, I have a pile of them in the corner of the barn . My stuff really never leaves the property under its own power.
So that's normally the first thing I do is yank those giant triangles off there. They really obstruct the view of your 3pt and draw bar.

Reactions: johncanfield
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.