Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anything like this has ever been done...if not , there maybe a reason LOL. I hate weeding the garden ,so brainstorming one evening, I came up with this to help me continue my lazy ways... It is an adjustable rake that is pulled between rows. I can adjust it side to side and the rakes pivot as well, to vary the width. I tried it out before painting it and it has done very well

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Very cool idea:good2:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Now _that's_ the way the garden of weedin' should be :thumbup1gif:. I suspect that in the early stages of a crop, a landscape rake with missing tines could work too. But it looks like your design can be used further into the season.

Pete

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thumbs up guys! I took the picture of it in the garden..to show my idea, better than trying to explain it. Fortunately we recieved some rain the night before, so the garden was still pretty wet. I didnt get aggressive raking it for the picture because of that. Once it dries out, I'll take a short video of it in action for you all,if you want.
So...should I patent it? am I gonna be able to retire with the money I make off of it :D ? oh well...maybe not, but it was fun and a pretty simple project

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Pretty cool and I don't know squat about gardening. You could look into getting a provisional patent (aka Patent Pending I believe). Sorry, I don't know the steps required to do so.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
:thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif::good2:

Excellent idea! Very well done. I can certainly see why you need the equipment, that is one BIG garden. Thank you verymuch for posting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the thumbs up guys! I took the picture of it in the garden..to show my idea, better than trying to explain it. Fortunately we recieved some rain the night before, so the garden was still pretty wet. I didnt get aggressive raking it for the picture because of that. Once it dries out, I'll take a short video of it in action for you all,if you want.
So...should I patent it? am I gonna be able to retire with the money I make off of it :D ? oh well...maybe not, but it was fun and a pretty simple project
That looks like some really good fabricating, I would look into a patent, not sure what it cost to patent something, but if you don't someone else may.
good job though.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's a terrific idea, I would bet you could sell those to a local TSC store. I like the tractor, garden and the rake, thanks for posting pictures. :thumbup1gif:...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice job! When it comes to patenting stuff, it isn't cheap. A full out patent costs $10k today, a patent pending is around $2k-$4k. Really need to have a market for it, which no doubt you would sell quite a few, but will it support the $$$ going into a patent? It really depends on customer demand, it is a gamble.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Can it be fitted with cheaper curved Chinese rake teeth? They would look more commercial. Imitators take about 6 months to get their version to market I was told...

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Nice job! When it comes to patenting stuff, it isn't cheap. A full out patent costs $10k today, a patent pending is around $2k-$4k. Really need to have a market for it, which no doubt you would sell quite a few, but will it support the $$$ going into a patent? It really depends on customer demand, it is a gamble.
Did you file your own patents Jake; or did you get an evil lawyer involved?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I've spent more money on patents than tractors, and have little to show for it. The more "common sense" or "people can relate to it" the topic, the harder it is to get the patent. Also, the USPTO (Gov. Patent office) is a money maker for the government, and as such things have devolved to the point where a patent will be rejected many times before (and IF) it finally gets granted. Each pass cost money.

Then, if you got it, it cost $500K and up to sue someone for infringement. Now I've made some nice beer money being retained by lawyers involved in patent litigation, but I sure hate to have a horse in the race. And if China, Inc picks up on this and makes it, it's about the same cost to get an ITC hearing (International Trade Commission) to block importing the product. And at best it takes a year of time. And even if you win, all it takes is for someone to form a new company and import it and the process goes on all over again.

Regrettably, the patent system is not for the small guy but for big companies with big, deep pockets. The patent office is managed with an eye towards making money not qualifying patents.

Now you can do either an initial filing of a patent, or, file a provisional patent for less than $5K. IMHO, this is mostly a marketing maneuver so you can put "Patent Pending" on your device. Another thing you can do at a reasonable cost is get a trademark on the name of the device. Not very expensive (less than $2K) and again a marketing tool. If your device takes off, your name for it become synonymous with the function. As an example, we ask for a Klenex and cut with a Bush Hog even if it's just a random facial tissue or rotary cutter. You want to get to the point where the whole world thinks of your device as the "Narrow Harrow" (or whatever you call it).

I would use a lawyer for either of these things, see if you can get a single fixed fee for the trademark filing. Note also that getting a lawyer means you can have them write a nasty gram should a company copy your device. A nasygram from your lawyer to their lawyer might be enough to slow them down a bit. Lawyers are the price of a civilized world, and if you are in business you will have to work with them eventually so get a jump on that now.

Finally, I'm not a lawyer, don't sue me if this advice is wrong, this is just my opinion, and all talks involving lawyers degrade into expensive lessons in paranoia. The engineer in me would rather just make it work, and spend money on tooling and equipment to get the cost down. People don't shop at Wally World because the products are patented or have trademarked names, they buy because of the price and functionality.

Pete :morning2:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Well said Pete. It's too bad the system is no longer geared to help the entrepreneur; but to be nothing more than a revenue generator and a vehicle to keep bureaucrats employed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts