Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Grabbed the wrong jug and put 6 gallons of gasoline in my 2025r. I drove it about 50 feet and it started to die so I killed it right away.

I've managed to siphon out about 5.5 gallons from the tank on the fender. I shut off the petcock right away and dropped the filter.

Where is that extra .5 gallons? Is it just in the line/pump? I'm thinking I can pull the hose from the filter and crank the engine, that might get the rest out of the line but I'm worried that whatever is in the engine will be an issue. Should I just leave it an call JD in the morning or is it safe to pump out what's in there, fill it with diesel and go on?

Help!!

Registered
Bummer 馃槥

I would not fill and go. Diesel is a lubricant, gasoline is a solvent. Most (not certain about the Yanmar, but it's likely) diesel fuel pumps use diesel for lubrication. Gasoline will remove any lubrication of the pump. Call the dealer if the entire fuel system is not something you can disassemble and clean yourself. There may be other damage in the engine, but it's much less likely than if you put diesel in a gas engine, that's almost a guaranteed new engine.

Premium Member
Im not sure if the Yanmar engines are much different than the bigger diesels we have at work, but this happens more than you think. Typically we drain the tank, remove the filters and blow out the lines with air, fill the tank back up and just start it up.

Mind you, typically its hydraulic oil they put in the tank versus gasoline, which if it didn't hydro-lock the engine, is usually ok.

If it were mine Id be removing the fuel rail and cranking the engine over to get rid of any gasoline still in the cylinders. Then, squirt in a couple drops of oil into each cylinder to lube it up where the gasoline has most likely cleaned off the walls. Then crank it over a little more before reassembling the rail to get the oil squished around a little.

But please wait for others to chime in as I dont know if someone can add any additional warnings or procedures.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bummer 馃槥

I would not fill and go. Diesel is a lubricant, gasoline is a solvent. Most (not certain about the Yanmar, but it's likely) diesel fuel pumps use diesel for lubrication. Gasoline will remove any lubrication of the pump. Call the dealer if the entire fuel system is not something you can disassemble and clean yourself. There may be other damage in the engine, but it's much less likely than if you put diesel in a gas engine, that's almost a guaranteed new engine.
Thanks for the advice. :/

Anything else I should do tonight?

Registered
I like toughsox advice. The only thing im concerned about other than what he suggested is the pistons in the pump (I am assuming it is a piston pump). If you can find a way to oil the pump before cranking it over, that would be best.

Registered
When I turn on the key for the 4105, I can hear the pump run constantly,,

I believe the fuel is circulating, which keeps the injection pump cool?
:dunno:

I am no authority,, but, someone else may comment with more knowledge,,

BUT,, it that is so,, turn on the key, without starting the engine,, and dilute that remaining gas with fresh diesel,,, :good2:

The problem may be able to "self fix",,,

Premium Member
When I turn on the key for the 4105, I can hear the pump run constantly,,

I believe the fuel is circulating, which keeps the injection pump cool?

:dunno:

I am no authority,, but, someone else may comment with more knowledge,,

BUT,, it that is so,, turn on the key, without starting the engine,, and dilute that remaining gas with fresh diesel,,, :good2:

The problem may be able to "self fix",,,
The clicking you hear with the key turned on is the lift pump. It supplies fuel to the injector pump. I believe it is the injector pump which actually circulates the fuel back to the tank while the engine is running.

But... you should be able to disconnect the hose from the lift pump, turn on the key and with fresh diesel in the tank it should flush the system out up to the injector pump. In fact, there is a procedure in the Technical Manual for doing something similar to verify proper fuel flow where you disconnect the hose and stick it into a cup, turn the key on for X-seconds and then measure how much fuel is in the cup.

Registered
You haven鈥檛 done any harm in that amount of time especially since you shut it down as soon as the gas got to the injectors.

Drain the tank, blow out the lines as much as possible, change the filter(s), get new diesel in the tank and turn it over with the injector lines loose. That will evacuate all the remaining gas from the injection pump without it building pressure so reduced lubrication won鈥檛 be an issue. Just remember that鈥檚 gasoline coming out now so don鈥檛 make a spark and have an extinguisher close by.

You鈥檒l do more harm in the long run getting dirt in than running the remaining gas out so make sure you keep everything clean. You only need to loosen the injector lines a half turn to unseat the flare.

i 鈥檝e been a diesel mechanic for 25 years, this s a common mistake and shouldn鈥檛 cause any harm so don鈥檛 beat yourself up over it.

Registered
I agree with Chillwack, not that big a deal and his method to clean it out is spot on. People over think on how diesel lubricates. Long term it does help but no more than you ran it not a big deal. Also I don鈥檛 think a 2025 is a high pressure common rail which I a lot less forgiving.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's fixed. Here's what happened...

Me: (calling dealer)
Dealer: Service dept, how can I help?
Me: Well, I got my tractor back from you and SOMEBODY put gasoline in it instead of diesel.
Dealer: (stammering) We don't even HAVE.....
Me: ...It was me...
Dealer: (pause) (laughter)
Me: (Laughter)
Us: HAHAHA, HAHAHA.
Dealer: Don't worry, happens all the time, how long did it run?
Me: 30 seconds, I siphoned the tank, dropped the filter, shut off the petcock, got as much out as possible
Dealer: Oh, no worries, fill it up with diesel and you should be fine.
Me: Really?
Dealer: Yeah, plus, if it goes bad, it's under warranty...
Us: (Laughter)
Me: OK BYE.

So that's what I did, I filled it with diesel and started it up, cranked a couple of times and now seems fine. :)

Thanks for all of the helpful advice! I don't know if this is right for everybody so don't take this as advice. Don't be me.

Registered
Well, it's fixed. Here's what happened...

Me: (calling dealer)
Dealer: Service dept, how can I help?
Me: Well, I got my tractor back from you and SOMEBODY put gasoline in it instead of diesel.
Dealer: (stammering) We don't even HAVE.....
Me: ...It was me...
Dealer: (pause) (laughter)
Me: (Laughter)
Us: HAHAHA, HAHAHA.
Dealer: Don't worry, happens all the time, how long did it run?
Me: 30 seconds, I siphoned the tank, dropped the filter, shut off the petcock, got as much out as possible
Dealer: Oh, no worries, fill it up with diesel and you should be fine.
Me: Really?
Dealer: Yeah, plus, if it goes bad, it's under warranty...
Us: (Laughter)
Me: OK BYE.

So that's what I did, I filled it with diesel and started it up, cranked a couple of times and now seems fine. :)

Thanks for all of the helpful advice! I don't know if this is right for everybody so don't take this as advice. Don't be me.
Not so sure about that . . . I screwed up and added gas to diesel (it was half full of diesel when I did that) and the dealer said JD will not repair under warranty . . . in the end everything worked out and Bucky is fine.

Administrator
Well, it's fixed...

:yahoo: :good2:

Now that it's fixed, I'm going to ask this: Did/do you have your diesel fuel in a properly marked YELLOW container?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

Now that it's fixed, I'm going to ask this: Did/do you have your diesel fuel in a properly marked YELLOW container?
Fair question. That's the worst part of all of this. I do. I had 4 jugs, two clear with gasoline and two yellow with diesel. I don't know what happened, I just grabbed the wrong one. When it started to sputter, I quickly started troubleshooting in my head and quickly went to, "did I just put gas in my tractor?" I immediately dismissed the idea and though, no, clear jug," and went on with my thought process, it took me a couple of seconds to come back to it and realize what I was saying to myself.

Funny thing, my wife said, "just blame me for it." I thought about it and then realized, no, I'm sure they've heard all of this before and the guy on the phone always wants somebody to blame, in the end, it was all me. :)

As a follow up, I spent today digging up a metal object poking out of the dirt in my field with my backhoe, turns out the guy I bought this place from buried a bunch of garbage in my field, really shallow too. The tractor did fine, doesn't seem like there's any issues, at least not yet :)

Registered
grabbed the wrong jug and put 6 gallons of gasoline in my 2025r. I drove it about 50 feet and it started to die so i killed it right away.

I've managed to siphon out about 5.5 gallons from the tank on the fender. I shut off the petcock right away and dropped the filter.

Where is that extra .5 gallons? Is it just in the line/pump? I'm thinking i can pull the hose from the filter and crank the engine, that might get the rest out of the line but i'm worried that whatever is in the engine will be an issue. Should i just leave it an call jd in the morning or is it safe to pump out what's in there, fill it with diesel and go on?

Help!!
in the crankcase and in fuel pump lines. I would change the oil

Registered
Before filling any of my diesel machines or gas for that matter...

First sniff test....if not sure.

Dump a small amount on the ground ( tablespoon or less ) and light.

If it don't lite its diesel.

Even bad gas will spark up rather quick...Diesel won't unless you light a leaf or whatever and let it sit on the puddle a while.

I've got too many cans of every shape and color.

In the winter usually all but one get filled with diesel and One with Clear Premium.

Summer I need a bit more gas for various useless machines that I seem to be hanging onto:banghead:

Registered
You were wise to ask what to do, since you weren't sure. As others have said, its far more common that many realize. It's also not as "fatal" as many fear. You did the right thing and should be fine.

On GTT, the only "dumb question" is the question not asked. Everyone learns and sharing experiences is an important part of the process. Even those experiences where we make a mistake, one which we really aren't too proud of.

Also, you OWNED the mistake which also tells us the kind of person you are, which is nice to see. Everyone screws up now and again. It's only really disgusting when people try and hide from it or lay the blame where it deflects from them.

You probably made the Service Managers heart skip a beat for a minute or so, lets hope they have a sense of humor.....Most likely, they do based upon their response.

Your wife was sweet to offer to accept the rap, buy her some flowers and something special. Then tell her you are among friends here at GTT and we understand, because we all have done something at one time or another.

Plus, tell her you want to preserve the legal right that a wife can't be compelled to testify against a husband for something more important....(and hopefully you never need it.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a funny story. I was in my semi truck Toter-home, which I used to haul my race cars, driving down the highway in Arkansas. I was going down to pick up some new race car chassis I was having built in Batesville, Arkansas. My brother was following me driving my Dodge Dually pulling an open flatbed trailer with some equipment I had sold to the chassis builder. We were following one another and after about 8 hours of driving, we were pretty bored.

He and I had been communicating during the drive on our track two way hand held radios about some of the other conversations on the CB we were listening to. Listening to the truckers talk on the Idiot Box (CB Radio) gave me an idea. They were all busting one another's chops over nothing of importance, as is often the case, so I decided to really give them something to chew on.

I got on the CB radio ( a Yankee voice in Arkansas was not quickly overlooked, trust me....) and said "Hey, I just filled my fuel tanks with gasoline and now my truck isn't running right. I heard one of you truckers say that running 50/50 gas and diesel would be ok, plus the gas was a lot cheaper so I saved a lot of money on my fuel costs. I just got my CDL yesterday and my boss bought me a brand new Lonestar tractor and now I am wondering if its going to hurt it. What do you guys think I should do?"

Well, it was like lighting a bonfire on the CB air waves. Everyone was tripping all over one another with comments. They ranged from a serious discussion about fuel blending to others who were obviously upset a brand new driver would get a dream truck. Several asked "Why would you get a brand new Lonestar tractor when there are some of us who have been driving for years who will never have one?" I replied, "I don't know, everyone gets new Lonestar trucks where I work"......

Of course, I was just messing with the poor guys, as most of them do nothing but talk trash anyways. But it was very entertaining. Some drivers were trying to be genuinely helpful and giving suggestions. Others were mad I had a new truck (I didn't tell them I bought it for myself....) Then I would add something like "Boy, I sure hope I can back this thing up if I have to stop. I didn't do very well in the driving class and kept running over barrels and tires. Sure hope I don't hit anything important in the truck stop parking lots....."

Then of course they started a debate about which truck stops were easier to get in and out of and which ones I should avoid because they were tight. Everything I said was purely to keep them going and frankly, I hope some of them were on the scheme as I was being pretty obvious about my lack of experience and the obtuse things I would say......like "The engine brake is the same as pushing the center pedal, right?"

Others debated that you can run 25% gasoline in the diesel and it would run better. Then they debated regular gas verses premium gas blended in diesel fuel. Then I said "What about the kerosene in diesel fuel" and surprisingly, some drivers didn't know that was how the northern winter blends are treated by some fuel distributors, in addition to adding lubricity agents and lowering the filter freeze point with other additives. But it sure did get them wound up for awhile until I drove out of range for many of them........

And NO, I hadn't actually put any gasoline in the truck, but it sure was a hot topic among the drivers for awhile........I was laughing so hard, I thought I was going to have to pull off the road. The opinions and suggestions varied from I should quit as a driver immediately to a few wanted to know how to get a hold of my boss so they could go to work for him as obviously he would hire anyone. When they asked what I was hauling, I told them I wasn't sure and hang on, I will read what the paperwork says....

Then I came back on and said , "it says Medical Cadavers, aren't those the things the doctor puts in you to drain your bladder?" and then I would follow up with, "Do you think I need to start that cooler thing on the trailer or do you think the load will be OK without it"?

Of course, one person said "A Catheter is what they put in you to drain your bladder, you idiot. You are hauling dead bodies, man, what is wrong with you, are you light in the head?"

It did liven up the CB idiot box chatter for some time and was quite entertaining.......Of course I made the entire thing up just to "entertain" primarily my brother and myself........and hopefully those who didn't think someone could really be so dense.

Sort of like the Henny Youngman and Rodney Dangerfield bit's, "Take my wife, please".....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official disclaimer, I am NOT implying the post by new member Xcityfolk was anything but genuine. But his post reminded me of when I posed the question to other drivers and their response. It would have made a good recording, as some were very serious and others seemed to know I was being facetious......and they also played along. But it sure lit up the CB radio waves for the better part of an hour........:laugh::lol::hide:

Registered
Fair question. That's the worst part of all of this. I do. I had 4 jugs, two clear with gasoline and two yellow with diesel. I don't know what happened, I just grabbed the wrong one. When it started to sputter, I quickly started troubleshooting in my head and quickly went to, "did I just put gas in my tractor?" I immediately dismissed the idea and though, no, clear jug," and went on with my thought process, it took me a couple of seconds to come back to it and realize what I was saying to myself.

Funny thing, my wife said, "just blame me for it." I thought about it and then realized, no, I'm sure they've heard all of this before and the guy on the phone always wants somebody to blame, in the end, it was all me. :)

As a follow up, I spent today digging up a metal object poking out of the dirt in my field with my backhoe, turns out the guy I bought this place from buried a bunch of garbage in my field, really shallow too. The tractor did fine, doesn't seem like there's any issues, at least not yet :)
Thats probably about as common as gas in a diesel.
I had a bunch of stuff that had been just tossed into the woods before we moved here that I wanted to clean up. Still have a lot to do in that regard, but I digress.
My neighbor, both actually, said just dig a hole and bury it. Nope, then its someone elses problem down the line and I dont do anything that way.
Funny thing is, most of it is little stuff and would have been easy enough to just throw in the can, but nope.

Glad everything is working fine with your tractor!

Registered
I agree with Chillwack, not that big a deal and his method to clean it out is spot on. People over think on how diesel lubricates. Long term it does help but no more than you ran it not a big deal. Also I don鈥檛 think a 2025 is a high pressure common rail which I a lot less forgiving.
Modern D fuel does not have the lubricity it had back before the clean air days. I take no chances and always use a fuel additive to add lubricity to the fuel and keep systems clean. Bio D is a better lubricant but it has other issues so its best to just fork out the bucks for a good d additive

Registered

I would love to have yellow containers for my diesel but a combination of old age and arthritis had me downsize from 5 gallon to 2.5 gallon jugs and I have not been able to find any including at Amazon . . . if someone has seen them on line please let me know

I did write diesel in very large letters on my tanks reserved for my tractor which is the only diesel engine I have.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts