Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometime over night, my friend's truck was stolen from her back driveway. She is an elderly widow and parks what used to be her husband's truck in the very back of the property. It was backed up to the shop and was sitting in the same spot as usual. Whoever stole it, rammed the locked iron gate in order to flee. When I got the phone call about it this morning, to say I was mad was not sufficient. She seems to be taking it better than I am. I know she is scared,but she has lived in the same area all these years and does not have the option of just moving away.

The area has drastically changed over the years and lately I've been helping law enforcement to address some areas that badly needed attention. Just heard that several arrests were made because I had the courage to help spread the word about suspicious activities. I was told that my life might be in danger because of it, but someone had to do something. Some folks were too afraid to get involved. Not patting myself on the back or anything. I just won't be intimidated by criminals.

We can't prove that this truck theft is connected, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Sometimes there may have been posts where I seemed grouchy and it is partly due to what I've been dealing with. There's more that I can't really discuss on here.

Despite all of it, we're staying positive and upbeat. There are some folks that won't be intimidated and scared off.

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
Good for you brother! Doing what's right sometimes takes guts. Do you have any friends that go "bang?"

It's hard to keep a level head in these situations. Please be safe...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for you brother! Doing what's right sometimes takes guts. Do you have any friends that go "bang?"

Thank you. Yip, it has not been easy at times to keep from getting upset. There have been a couple times I was told by law enforcement that myself and others were overreacting and that it wasn't as it appeared.

I won't tell them, "I told you so", but I'm sure there are some in uniform who remember me and would rather not be reminded that they were wrong.

Just wish that her truck hadn't been stolen. She has been quite afraid and I've tried to help where I could. There's more going on that wouldn't be appropriate to tell on here, but I just felt like maybe I should say something.

And, yes, I have some of those things that go "BANG".:laugh:

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Good going, g and r man. Far too many people are willing to stand by and allow criminal activity take place. It takes someone with a pair to step in and actually act. Our country needs more people like you.

Stay safe.

Don

·
Registered
292 Posts

where i live is out in the country and my Philosophy is that out here i am 911 and gun control is a good steady aim and a trigger pull. and see since it would take 20 min for the police/fire/paramedics you have to use your second amendment to protect your family and property. i haven't had any problems with theft the only thing is people spotlighting (them having a gun is unknown) on my property/edge of road no wild life has been taken yet its happened twice but it aggravates ya to know that people can come on your property

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
When this sort of thing happens it terrorizes people. I think that if some of these criminals were charged with terrorism and treated as the terrorists that they are, it might feel more just. In Canada we have wissy laws that prevent any form of justice to the public or the victims, we protect the criminal (terrorist) more than the public.

Ah, ya got me going now, good on you G&R!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
My mother & I have a farm 30 miles from home, the house is beyond use. I started to tear it down years ago, but there was not enough good materials to make that worth while. I had put a small wood stove on the enclosed front porch as a place to get in out of the weather when I was out there in the Winter. I was out there last Sunday deer hunting, when I left I noticed a back porch door was open. Turned out, four doors were stolen from the house! Monday I went back & got the wood stove & what few other items I might use, I expect the thieves back after the wiring sometime.

Only thing that really surprises me is that it hasn't happened sooner! ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
That's a bummer, hate that happened to your friend. I despise thieves. You did the right thing just cya and be careful.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
My mother & I have a farm 30 miles from home, the house is beyond use. I started to tear it down years ago, but there was not enough good materials to make that worth while. I had put a small wood stove on the enclosed front porch as a place to get in out of the weather when I was out there in the Winter. I was out there last Sunday deer hunting, when I left I noticed a back porch door was open. Turned out, four doors were stolen from the house! Monday I went back & got the wood stove & what few other items I might use, I expect the thieves back after the wiring sometime.

Only thing that really surprises me is that it hasn't happened sooner! ~~ Lowell
Thieves will steal anything they think they can make a buck on. Maybe have the electric turned on so when they come and get the wiring, they get quite a jolt, literally.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
And, yes, I have some of those things that go "BANG".:laugh:
Then all you need is to use a loader to dig a pit and problem solved! :lol:

I feel bad for your neighbor. Losing the truck is a downer, but the real issue is the loss of the feeling of security. It is good that you and the neighbors have formed an informal community watch group.

Keep practicing so you remain proficient with whatever security measures you have, and ALWAYS be sure of your target. Better to do nothing than something you may regret.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. About a week or so ago, I got word that helicopters had flown low over the area late at night and were searching with spotlights. I was gone at the time, but some folks said it woke them up and they got up to see what was going on. At least two different people said that it looked like two or three helicopters. After asking around, we still don't know what or who they were searching for. Must've been serious, because it's pretty expensive for fuel and maintenance on aircraft like that. One witness said they kind of sounded like military helicopters.

It's very possible that it had something to do with the criminal activity in the area. After giving the theft some thought, it very well could be that this was done in retaliation for the arrests. She doesn't bother anyone and has just done her best to avoid trouble with them. It's sad that what was once a peaceful and quiet area, has become a hideout for thugs.

The police had to come out again yesterday for a seperate matter. Never would've dreamed this kind of stuff would be going on in this area, but times have changed. I think what matters most is to not let it steal your joy and make a person bitter.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, at least there is some good news and closure about the truck theft. Police located the pickup yesterday, but it was abandoned. Wish they would've caught whoever left it. Maybe depending on the location where it was, there is security camera footage that might help identify the person/s.

Haven't heard yet on the condition and what all is missing. One thing is for sure, that steering column is probably a disaster. There was an electric winch on the front and some other nice added accessories and we think that a family member of the owner left some nice tools under the back seat.

Some of the bad news is that since it was found in a certain very large city, the police there are not likely to dust for fingerprints. And, sometimes the PD in the town where the vehicle theft report was originally made will say that they can't check for fingerprints, since it's a jurisdiction issue.

One thing that gets me is that even though your vehicle was stolen and it isn't your fault that it ended up in an impound lot, you have to pay for it and storage. Kind of adds to the wounds and overall bad experience. We don't know yet if it's even going to be worth fixing the truck.

It's going to be costly to install a good surveillance system, but with all the other unmentioned things going on in the area, a person just has to weigh the costs. If these people were that determined to steal this truck, then there is the possibility they just might return another time to take other things.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys, I just saw what the truck looks like after the owner got it towed from the impound yard and it is awful.:gaah::cry::mad:

They obviously used it to commit other crimes. The winch and all that went with it is all long gone. There was the remains of illegal drugs and and a pipe, clothing, broken mirror glass, and lot of other unidentifiable stuff. The seats were covered with mud and grease. YUCK

I took some pics, but it's almost too painful to post them on here. The front of the truck looks like somone hit it with a gigantic v-shaped sledge hammer. The entire front of the truck is sunk in. The tailgate has been somehow racked to where you can't open it and it's the same story with the hood. The radiator is bashed in as is the driver's side. Looks like they rammed some other things besides just the gate when they stole it. ALmost looks like they just about rolled it over on the driver's side. It is terrible to see in person. You can't really tell there used to be a dash up front. Vice grip pliers were used as a way to start the engine after they ripped open the steering column and yanked the lock cylinder.

At this point we are beginning to doubt that it's even worth trying to fix it. They stole quite a bit of accessories from it too. What a mess!!

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
That sucks....

Insurance?:unknown:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Look at it this way, hopefully while doing all that stuff they got a big scratch on their arm and were infected with flesh eating bacteria.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sucks....

Insurance?:unknown:
Yeah, she has insurance, but the damage is so substantial that it may be a lost cause. Looks like the frame is even bent and the control arms. From the way the driver's seat was slid all the way back, it makes us think it was a very large individual who did this. But I don't care how big he is. I've already had to deal with one guy like that who is extremely large and is used to scaring people with his size.

Look at it this way, hopefully while doing all that stuff they got a big scratch on their arm and were infected with flesh eating bacteria.
From the looks of things, it appears to be more than one person involved and as though this is what they do all the time. One day they're going to get caught. I'm doing all I can to see that happens.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Theft", yet another form of "entitlement".

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just want to give a brief update on what I feel is safe to say about the den of thieves as I call it. For obvious reasons I didn't comment any further on what all was going on with law enforcement.

The police really put the hurt on their operations and broke up the nest. I no longer see exotic cars coming and going in the dark of night, nor do I hear the loud arguments that were a frequent event. There was so much coming and going and people driving so many different vehicles that there had to be something illegal going on. There's more that I can't really go into detail about, but enough was enough. Sure, there was a risk I took by calling attention to many things that were going on and telling what I knew, but I decided it was a risk worth taking.

It's almost strange with how quiet the scene is now.

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
It's good to hear about a positive reaction from the local PD.:good2: We could use some more of that within our society as a whole. After all, it is "To serve and protect" right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts