Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found it buried on a jobsite. Anyone know what it’s for?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Interesting.
Not sure exactly what it is, but it looks alot like what we use in my trade, and call a GOAT wrench.
10846.jpg

Its like a speed wrench, for a large spectrum of fastener sizes.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have one somewhere out in the barn. I believe it says "Alligator Wrench" on the handle. Not sure but I always thought it was just an attempt at one of those "fits everything" wrenches!
I'd say you're correct.
We primarily use square head fasteners, and the design works really good on those.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you guys nailed it. The one in the picture flyweight posted shows only one side with teeth. Hard to tell with all the rust but I only saw one side with teeth.
What process does a guy use to try and “de rust” it to see if there’s any writing on it? Acid? Coca Cola? Any ideas? So far I smacked it around to knock some off but it’s going to take a soak or 3 in something

·
Premium Member
2017 1025R TLB - H120 - 260 - 60D
98 Posts
I think you guys nailed it. The one in the picture flyweight posted shows only one side with teeth. Hard to tell with all the rust but I only saw one side with teeth.
What process does a guy use to try and “de rust” it to see if there’s any writing on it? Acid? Coca Cola? Any ideas? So far I smacked it around to knock some off but it’s going to take a soak or 3 in something
I’ve heard vinegar works, but I don’t know that myself.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could see anything. Mother nature has a strong foot hold in that one.
I found an old Bell wrench at the base of a pole 5-6yrs ago, looked like it had been there about 40 years. All the lettering in the casting was gone, and the pitting and rust has all but destroyed it. I had a friend media blast it, and then Cerakote it bright orange for me. Still in my oval bag in the work truck, should be easy to find if it gets dropped now, being bright orange.

Good reason to buy a blast cabinet.:whistle:

·
Premium Member
5,619 Posts
if you're game try electrolysis to dissolve the rust but this one is to far gone in my opinion. But you never know.. be an optimist..

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think it is an automotive wrench used to separate the ball joints of tie rods from the part they are attached to. Ask an auto mechanic and he can verify. You use some kind of a hammer to hit it and the angled front part forces it joint apart. I think I have one in my old tools box that is not rusty,

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think it is an automotive wrench used to separate the ball joints of tie rods from the part they are attached to. Ask an auto mechanic and he can verify. You use some kind of a hammer to hit it and the angled front part forces it joint apart. I think I have one in my old tools box that is not rusty,
That would be a ball joint separator aka pickle fork, which is not a wrench but really just a forked wedge. I don't think that rusty tool is a ball joint separator as every one I've seen has a round handle.

Which BTW, I've never had luck using one. What works 1000x better is just get your air hammer or BFH and smack the part of the casting that holds the tie rod, ball joint, whatever. Usually pops right off then.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
if you're game try electrolysis to dissolve the rust but this one is to far gone in my opinion. But you never know.. be an optimist..
Electrolysis would be the best way to go. Easy to set up in a plastic bucket.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: tj1 and theduke

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve heard vinegar works, but I don’t know that myself.
Soaking in white vinegar for a few minutes works for removing surface rust from parts, yeah. I do it all the time for cleaning steel gussets. There has to be metal left to clean though ;)

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I agree with the electrolysis. It won't take off any good metal like sandblasting but the rust will disappear. Easy to do when the object is small.

Treefarmer

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
K...explain
Mix some washing soda with water in a bucket. clean a spot on wrench and hang it into the water with some wire. Use an old battery charger or dc power supply and hook negative lead to hanging wire. Hook positive lead to some scrap metal or graphite sheet and stick in the water. turn on charger, wait 24 hrs. Search you tube for electrolysis.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never heard of “washing soda” before. Looks like I got a torture device to make :geek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts