Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just filled up on fuel for the last 6 hours use. I was suprised when i looked at the hour meter and it was only up 6 hours. In that time I have installed some equipment, pulled a small chissel plow, pulled a small 2 bottom plow, rototilled in some straw and used the rotary cutter to cut some paths for my daughters razor. I did a lot of stuff for a short time.

12 gallons of fuel.

Yup, 2 gallons an hour.....

I used our 15 foot chopped to cut a field of clover down so we could plow it today and used less fuel with a 35 year old 175hp IH (1586).

I am not suprised that it eats fuel, but I expected about 1.5 gallons an hour or less since I have not been pushing the tractor at all!:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda guessed it was about average. I was a bit suprised because I could load my 3720 up tot he max and still burn a gallon an hour.

I plan to get a PTO generator so I am hoping I can cut that to .5 to .7 per hour with econ pto and the light load of the genny.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info Steve. I have a 4000 watt genny now. I am pretty sure its a kawasaki motor but I could be wrong. It is right on the edge of running everything I would like to in my home when we loose power. There is no AC for sure! I can heat with it. I use it so seldom (only when the power is out) that it is a major PITA to keep up. I pull it out and run it every month or two. The battery in it puked so no more electric start.

I would go to a PTO genny to have one less motor to work on. I would also have the power to run my AC if needed. The price in fuel is nothing. I would run the tractor for days on end at 1750 rpm's and not feel bad. I have not had to run my genny in 4 years. There was a car that slid off the road and hit my electric pole and I was out for 12 hours. I rarly loose it. Until I post this I am sure.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My house could run no issue with everything on with a 15K. When we built our home, we went so energy efficent that our average winter heating bill is 100 dollars. We can AC our home for about 69 a month. We have about 3800 sq feet of living space. I would rather have something that would come on automatically, but to be fair, I see us in a new home in a few years.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No chance Darin. I went through everything on the tractor and everything is clean and in place. I think its just a bit of a shocker coming from a very fuel efficient tractor..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.