Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we traded momma's 2003 Yukon with 203,456 miles on it. Shopped around for two weeks ran into good and bad salespeople. Finally chose a Toyota Sequoia. I saw the Sequoia I was interested on their website with a pretty good end of year sale. We walked in and they had one on the showroom floor that we climbed in and out a couple of times. The salesman who desk was about 6 feet away ignored us. A foreign couple walked it and he raced by us and went to them and they were looking at a used Camary for their daughter. My wife was PO'ed ready to leave. Then a young man came to us and asked if he could help us. Anyway over the next day and a half we hammered out a deal. When I was in the F&I office I told them what happened with the guy ignoring us and he called the owner over and I passed it on to him. Very happy with the Sequoia and we got a decent trade in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Congratulations. Somehow it all works out and everyone is happy. Are you going to make her wait to drive it until you get your tractor though? Of course that looks like it will haul a lot of groceries, might be best to keep quiet.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Drifterbike-:bigthumb: it pays to keep Mamma Happy:congrats: on the new ride!

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Nice new ride and I like the color. Also, the Yukon looks like you kept it in very nice shape.:good2:

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
drifterbike--need to ask u a question about ur yukon?
did u ever have to replace the brake lines on it-due to rusted out?

how about the tranny oil cooler lines?

any front wheel bearings-or i guess i should say them lousy ABS hickees at the wheel bearing?:banghead:

i only ran mine in the salt for the 2 winters i was in the pitals. now we had to run the Pa. turnpike them times-and it got covered badly-but i made the wife take it to the carwash and run it thru it. but that junk on the pike really worked it over.

so far all the brake lines was replaced-and now it's waiting at the shop on the oil cooler tranny lines to be replaced.:banghead:

i don't know if the tech moved or bent them a hair-2 weeks ago-when i had them to drop the pan-and change the filter -instead o just flushing the tranny.

probably going to blame the age of truck for the lines breaking-i just have a bad feeling about it--i really don't feel up to throwing a good hissy fit-and arguing with the service manager for hrs over it. told the wife i just wished i was working yet-and it would be gone then.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
That’s a smart looking vehicle drifterbike!

Big Jim - I have the same concerns with my truck. The first 4 years I was running it to work through the nasty glue-like 50/50 mix on the roads here. Already had some rust issues like the front rotors, steerling shaft u-joint, etc. I now think about the brake lines along with trans cooler etc. The underside of my truck is just all rust.

But I love my truck still after 8.5 years now. I bought it as my pseudo retirement truck and will try to keep it forever. If that means replacing brake lines or other stuff I will do it.

Those new trucks sure look nice. Was wandering around the Ford lot yesterday while getting my truck serviced.

I’ve never been to any other vehicle dealership other than Ford. Looking at Drifterbike’s new ride for his wife the Toyotas sure look nice. But I worry about needing service when the dealership is a 3 hour round trip. It’s like we talk about with tractors - the service at the dealership is more important than the color or brand.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Stan and Jim the Yukon I had since new in 2003 and drove over 200,000 Miles. the biggest problem was with the traction control. It was because the front wheel bearings have a sensor that goes bad. Had a hard time finding what the problem was because the bearing was good but the sensor was bad. when brake jobs were done and wheel bearing lubed everything looked good. We had the Yukon rust proofed and only had rust on front right fender. We did replace the tranny cooler lines because of rust after 13 years and the parking brake cable holder rusted thru. Had to replace the exhaust manifold bolts because they broke off. Its a known weakness pre 2007. Put one altenator. other than that just normal maintence. We would have looked at a knew one but they are over 70K and we really did not want any "Government Motors". Looked at Ford expedition but the tried to offer us 1000.$ on our trade in. We are happy with the Toyota Sequoia it has a V8 and pleanty of pulling power. Too much high tech in the radio, but we like the back up camera.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
CONGRATS on Momma's new ride!!! :yahoo:

You definitely had an interesting experience with the salespeople at that dealership. When we were shopping for our last car, sales people were greeting us before we even stepped foot into the showroom, I mean someone often came out and greeted us as we were walking from the parking lot.

That being said, I think a lot of dealerships have a different "unwritten" set of rules amongst their sales force. There is sometimes a pecking order of who gets the first crack at new customers, some by seniority, some by another system. That way the sales people aren't tripping over each other over a prospective buyer versus a tire-kicker and it's just the luck of the draw on which customer they end up with. I'm a people watcher and have seen some sales people discussing "something" as new customers arrive, then the approach. In other cases, I see salesmen standing near the doorway and not make a move toward a new customer and just let someone else, half a showroom away walk up and greet the customer.:dunno:

So that salesman who "ignored" you and raced by you for the next customer may not have been doing that out of disrespect, but a result of "their pecking order" process.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Thanks Stan and Jim the Yukon I had since new in 2003 and drove over 200,000 Miles. the biggest problem was with the traction control. It was because the front wheel bearings have a sensor that goes bad. Had a hard time finding what the problem was because the bearing was good but the sensor was bad. when brake jobs were done and wheel bearing lubed everything looked good. We had the Yukon rust proofed and only had rust on front right fender. We did replace the tranny cooler lines because of rust after 13 years and the parking brake cable holder rusted thru. Had to replace the exhaust manifold bolts because they broke off. Its a known weakness pre 2007. Put one altenator. other than that just normal maintence. We would have looked at a knew one but they are over 70K and we really did not want any "Government Motors". Looked at Ford expedition but the tried to offer us 1000.$ on our trade in. We are happy with the Toyota Sequoia it has a V8 and pleanty of pulling power. Too much high tech in the radio, but we like the back up camera.
Not bad at all for the age of the Yukon and living in the rust belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts