Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 1025r and Deere is going to make me a trade offer for it tomorrow for the 2018. My question is, is the new model really better or am I going to miss the old one. I use this for landscaping and it has to do with about 50% of my income so this is something I want to get right. My biggest concern is will it lift as much as the 2014 model PTO wise KIMG1168.JPG . I have a aera-vator that the 2014 barely lifts but works great with. And NO, getting a bigger Tractor to tear up customers yard is not a option. I just would like some feed back if anyone has had both model's.

·
Premium Member
14,875 Posts
What caused you to consider upgrading to the 2018? Hours? mechanical problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and what is the trade in deal.. haven't looked at JD site.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don’t know that there is a noticeable difference in performance. Last year I bought what was supposed to be a 2017 MY but turned out to be a 2015 MY that had sat outside for a couple NE winters and summers. I traded last month for a 2018 FILB and can’t say that it’s a noticeable difference. Other than the fact that now getting my auto connect mower deck on is more of a manual process because nothing lines up like it did on the previous unit.

2018 1025R TLB (120R/260B), 54" MMM auto connect/mulch, 54" rear snow blower (SB1154), 60” FEL mounted snow blade (AF10F), iMatch, Heavy Hitch and bolt on toothbar, Ken's bolt on hooks, diff lock, seat springs.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I don't believe there were any changes in the 3-point hitch.

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
I don't believe there were any changes in the 3-point hitch.
Right... there doesn't appear to have been any changes to the 1025R engine, drive train or hydraulics since it first came out. I believe there have been little changes here and there like the PTO switch, air cleaner mount and a few other cosmetic items. Certainly nothing to warrant trading in unless you have high hours or your unit has been problematic.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a aera-vator that the 2014 barely lifts but works great with. And NO, getting a bigger Tractor to tear up customers yard is not a option. I just would like some feed back if anyone has had both model's.
If you're happy with the tractor you have, consider shimming the pump if that's feasible. :unknown:

I like the look of the AeroVator. Looks like it gets down to business!

·
Registered
968 Posts
The crappy taller roll bar and the fact that the floor, lower dash panel are difficult to remove to gain top access to the drive shaft u joint is enough to hault me from even considering a 2018 unit.

When ever something is changed to make it worse I think twice about anything else that is not obvious.

In fact the earliest 1023E and 1026R are far better machines. No yellow knob for backing up, no snowblower driveshaft sensor, lower up right roll bar, tach that always reads engine RPM’s, cardian u joint front drive shaft, more horse power, and Japanese ball bearings instead of china crap.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The crappy taller roll bar and the fact that the floor, lower dash panel are difficult to remove to gain top access to the drive shaft u joint is enough to hault me from even considering a 2018 unit.

When ever something is changed to make it worse I think twice about anything else that is not obvious.

In fact the earliest 1023E and 1026R are far better machines. No yellow knob for backing up, no snowblower driveshaft sensor, lower up right roll bar, tach that always reads engine RPM’s, cardian u joint front drive shaft, more horse power, and Japanese ball bearings instead of china crap.
And no small key slot to open the hood.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know the dealer call and said they are looking for use low hour tractors and had some kind of promotion on them. Probably a lie. They want to sell me a new one with just the loader for 14350 and give me a trade in value of 9350 on my current one with a hard 350 hours on it. Since I'm using this for my business having a shiny new tractor is appealing, and the 6 year power train warranty would be nice. And I can finance a attachment with it for zero percent for 60 months. Something I wouldn't get to do any other way. I do have a small hydraulic leak around the 4x4 shaft where it go into the transmission. I was bush hogging and got a bunch of vines wrapped around the shaft and they got into the seal. I've warped the front end loader from using the forks to break trees. And have over loaded the quick connects for the front end loader. One of them leaks. I've used this thing more as a skidder than a tractor and it's held up well.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
A new machine under warranty, without the known problems you already have, with "free money 0%" attachments could certainly be beneficial to a business. Tractor down time for maintenance problems costs money and customers.

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
A new machine under warranty, without the known problems you already have, with "free money 0%" attachments could certainly be beneficial to a business. Tractor down time for maintenance problems costs money and customers.
I think you are right. To (have the dealer) fix all the items he listed would probably cost close to the amount of difference he would be paying for the new tractor.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You are giving up the backhoe?
At that price?

Doesn't seem right to me.
You would know better than I but I would have thought lots of your customers would have contracted you for small digs that the 260 would have been perfect for.

That does not seem like enough trade in money for a FILB.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts

When did they add the yellow back up knob? In 2012? because I have one...I don't have a lower ROPS, it hits anything it can...:dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went today and looked at the new one. You guys are right what we're they thinking with the big ass roll bar. That thing is would be useless to me in less I just took it off at the hinge. You can't use the 3ph with it down. I'll keep what I got for now, it's not worth the hassel. As much as I would like to finance a power rake at 0 %. I think I'll pass. And I did ask about the back hoe, not a bad price for a extra 3500 but I still had to bad of a taste in my mouth from what they did to the new model.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You are giving up the backhoe?
At that price?

Doesn't seem right to me.
You would know better than I but I would have thought lots of your customers would have contracted you for small digs that the 260 would have been perfect for.

That does not seem like enough trade in money for a FILB.

I missed any part of giving up a backhoe. Wasn’t it just the tractor and loader for a difference of $3500?:gizmo::gizmo:

If ya don’t have a premium front end loader that might be good if that’s the offer. But if loosing backhoe.......not so much.

Are current model attachments all comparable with 2014 tractors?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I missed any part of giving up a backhoe. Wasn’t it just the tractor and loader for a difference of $3500?:gizmo::gizmo:

If ya don’t have a premium front end loader that might be good if that’s the offer. But if loosing backhoe.......not so much.

Are current model attachments all comparable with 2014 tractors?
I thought the OP's sig listed that he had a FILB?
If so then his current backhoe would not be compatible with a new machine.
There are a couple fellows on here looking for a 260, for the money the dealer wants to give the OP I would remove the hoe and sell it separately, of course including the sub frame.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I thought the OP's sig listed that he had a FILB?
If so then his current backhoe would not be compatible with a new machine.
There are a couple fellows on here looking for a 260, for the money the dealer wants to give the OP I would remove the hoe and sell it separately, of course including the sub frame.

Is that true a older backhoe (& sub frame) will not attach to a 2018 year model tractor?
If the old backhoe will not marry up to a 2018 tractor what else don’t fit?

Potentially sounds totally opposite to the 50’s thru 70’s where Chevy engines fit in everything and parts cross fit.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Last trade-in offer I got, I told the salesman it was flat-out offensive. He wanted to give me 15K CAD (Figure 11K USD) on a 2520 with under 200 hours, with backhoe and mower deck. The backhoe alone will fetch 6K on its own. I told him I could get 50% more sending it away to auction.

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
Many John Deere dealers are having sales contests on the compact tractors for their sales people. I have seen were several different dealers are doing this, and its not something they are communicating directly with the public. But the winning sales person in each dealership group gets their choice of ONE of the following, a $2,000 cash bonus, $2,000 travel voucher or $2,000 credit towards the purchase of any products sold by Deere dealers. The contest runs from August 1st through October 31st, 2018.

This is prompting the sales people to shake the trees and contact prior customers looking for trade deals and other sales opportunities. Some dealers have also introduced a special customer referral program for every customer referred to the dealer who buys a tractor, the person referring the new customer gets a $100 cash card.

So, there is a big push for the dealers to hit their year end numbers and a big push for the salesman to sell compact tractors.

This could be the "Promotion" which the sales guy was referring to, or he could have simply been using that line as a reason to contact existing customers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts