Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not hate the concept of money,,, but, yesterday, I realized I no longer like cash,,,
We were on the way home, and we stopped at Bojangles for dinner,,,

I paid with a credit card ,,,

I remember when the first time I saw someone pay for their items with a credit card at a grocery store.
I thought the world was gonna stop,,,
Then, credit cards were only used for items that needed more time to pay for.
all day to day purchases were paid for with cash, or a check.

Now, I no longer carry change,,, :yahoo:
My new life is - Swipe the plastic, pay the bill every month,,,

Anything I want can be purchased with plastic,,,

I guess, other than a flea market, or a Craigs List purchase,,, I am done with cash,,,,

So,, how about you?? Cash,,, or credit?? :dunno:

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
I rarely have cash anymore. I use a debit card mostly, but I've been using ApplePay on my phone as much as I can. It's faster, no signature, no fifty questions, and more secure. Did I mention it's cool too?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Plastic for me ........ Hardly ever carry cash. Wife and I were at grocery store yesterday and a young girl was one penny short wife looked to me giver her a penny...I reached down and nothing but cob webs in my pockets and a couple of spent .22 shells...LOL... I had to add her stuff to my bill just so I didnt feel bad..

Apple pay....I havent used yet but I'm working up the courage!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I do both; but you're right, everyone takes plastic nowadays. Some individuals will even use those swipper deals they plug into their phones. With direct deposit and everyone taking plastic, I find the need to go to a bank, or even an ATM, for cash anymore almost unnecessary.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I still carry a little cash with me, but most of the time I use the plastic. I find it easier to just pay off the bill once a month. I also like the cash back bonus that I receive for using the card. Free money if you ask me, and every little bit helps.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Use both. Always carry my allowance in cash; that way I get change to go into the Christmas jar. Besides, when we go out to eat occasionally, or in any other situation when a tip is called for, I always give my tips in cash...that way I know that at least some of it will make it's way into the pocket of the waitress or barber.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
For the past 5 years I've only used plastic. Paid the bill every week so I never paid interest. Worked great, however we realized that we never stayed to a budget very well. We just changed back over to paying in cash to help stay on budget. Our hope is to pay off the house in 6 years (just bought it last year). Crunch time! I wanna retire in 12-15 years.

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Cash still makes the world go 'round here. I like to wheel and deal, hard to do with a credit card. If I don't have a few hundred bucks in my wallet I get nervous. If I write a check the bank calls my wife to see if our checks were stolen.:laugh:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I try not to leave a paper trail.
Witness protection :lolol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Cash is king. Still.

It is getting harder and harder to use it. Large sums is hard to carry and try to take to a bank.

With that, I have used my credit card more and more. Being on a service truck I need to use my credit card all the time to purchase materials, tools, and fuel when I'm on the road and/or at places that we do not have an account at. Taking care of the customer is job one. Repairs on the van, credit card. I spent a week and a half waiting for a repair on my old ford van when the warehouse guy at our shop tells the boss I don't need my AC repaired. Cost the boss 3 times amount when he learned he had to pay me to sit at home or ride my Harley until my van was repaired. Not to mention the calls from customers wondering where I am. Takes that problem out of the equation when the work is done and all needs to be done is to pay the bill. Plus, I get points towards my next GM purchase. Yes the shop reimburses me. I often purchase materials on line that are obsolete etc. EBAY has been helpful in that.

I have to admit, it is easy to purchase more than you can afford. It is magical. Just swipe. Fun. Until the statement comes.

So I still use cash for dinner. I eat out everyday for lunch so I use cash for that. The fine lady who cuts my hair, cash for her. Let her decide what to claim. My granddaughter likes to grab a fist full of quarters out of my change jar. She always needs walking around money, even at 4.

isaac

·
Registered
71 Posts
I carry and use both. Just yesterday I was at the gas station to fill up my son's car (why is his car always empty anyway?) and the pay-at-the-pump function wasn't working. I went into the station and the attendant said their satellite link was down. They were only accepting cash and seemed to be largely restricted on what they were capable of supporting for sales.

My concern for America is that many retail companies and even service companies are unable to operate at all if "the computer is down." I actually had a nation wide company tell me they couldn't take payment because they were upgrading their business software and they were having some issues. Really? I had my bill in hand. The amount due was on it!! Sad, just sad.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
For me, any "on-site" purchases are cash or check only, up until this week. I carry a couple credit cards, but wouldn't touch a debit card! This week, since I'll be buying a lot of power tools, I applied for a Lowe's card to get the 5% off (10% on the first purchase). So far, I've never "swiped" a card in a store! I'll use a credit card on the seldom occasion I buy gas away from home & for online, Paypal when I can!

·
Super Moderator
5,539 Posts
Cash?? What is that? Very seldom is real money in my wallet/pocket. Debit card and PayPal have been the mainstay for quite a few years now. Although I did have a real 20 in my wallet yesterday for renewing my CCL with cash.:)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
i ONLY use cash. except for online purchases and/or if i have a gift card.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
A mix for me. While I call it a mix, I pretty much put all transactions on credit but always have cash. It is pretty rare that I don't have 200-300 in cash on me. Sometimes it is just easier. There have been a few times where I am trying to buy something and the credit card systems are down. Then they seem shocked when I pull out cash to pay for it.

What I don't do is use checks. I would say over the last 5 years I average 2 checks a year. I write so few of them I have to stop and think about how to fill one out each time. We pay everything electronically. If a bill can't be paid electronically they typically take a card so it goes on there and the card gets paid electronically. It doesn't help that more and more places seem to not accept checks.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts