Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was moving brush with the 2030. Going to get another load, when I heard metal banging for just a few seconds. I imediately stopped. First thing I noticed was the clutch took only about 1/2 the normal effort to push in. Then I saw the the inspection port cover on the left side of the clutch housing was missing. A few feet back from where I stopped I found the inspection cover.

The noise was gone, the tractor still shifted and moved, so back to barn I went. I looked in the inspection port with a strong flash light. The pressure plate was "up" at one of the fingers. I then used a magnet to fish around inside. I caught nothing.

Splitting the tractor was not too hard, just tedious and dirty work.

A link from one of the fingers on the pressure plate to the back spring plate was gone. The finger was also broken where the link attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you made short work of that.:good2:
Pulling the loader frames (heavy, awkward), joystick/loader valve took about 1 1/2 hours.

Split then took 4 hours. It took a long time before it was willing to start moving apart.

Going back together will take longer.

But should save some :gizmo: doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
I have split a lot of 8Ns and TO-30s ect over the years they were easy to me also. Just not ever looking forward to splitting my 4044M tractor!
One nice thing on the 8&9n, they almost split themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's almost back together. I had to move the flywheel only twice before the shafts engaged :good2:

Having never done this you and flyweight make it look so easy!

That one-wheeled dolly in your first pic sure looks like it is very helpful.
I built the splitting dolly several years before I needed it. I has a little width adjustment for with or without side frames. It also uses an ACME screw for height adjustment.

Later (after it was built) I was at the local JD dealer and saw what they used. They had a bar of steel with slotted holes that bolted same place (rear side frame holes) with a wheel at the bottom. They had two, one for each side. I think the wheels swiveled, but can't remember

One nice thing on the 8&9n, they almost split themselves.
I've never owned or split one, but would not be afraid to try

I missed that glad you pointed it out. Wish I had thought of that many years ago! I will remember the single wheel. Does it also turn to steer it around?
The singe wheel does steer. I used steel for wheel hoping it would roll easier and does. One thing it lacks, is I should have welded a tube to frame of the wheel so you can use a rod to steer it.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This about 6 hours going back together. Still needs the loader frames and joystick/loader valve installed. Also the braces for the front guard are off, they were in the way of removing the loader frames.

I also put a new starter on. Now was the time with the loader frame and side frame off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The left breakaway coupler has been leaking. I am guessing the levers (key 24) at the bottom. So I will replace back-up rings (key 4) and o-rings (key 5).

All was going well on disassembly until I slid key 6 out too far and the little balls (Key 3) went flying :flag_of_truce::nunu::banghead:. There are 6 balls, per side. I found all but one :flag_of_truce:(I was more careful on the second side and did not lose any ).

So it's off to the dealer for ONE little ball. It will cost more in gas than the little ball :banghead:. I think I'll buy 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Later (after it was built) I was at the local JD dealer and saw what they used. They had a bar of steel with slotted holes that bolted same place (rear side frame holes) with a wheel at the bottom. They had two, one for each side. I think the wheels swiveled, but can't remember
Splitting stands. Part #JTO7335, according to my tech manual.:good2:

Screenshot (89).png

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The left breakaway coupler has been leaking. I am guessing the levers (key 24) at the bottom. So I will replace back-up rings (key 4) and o-rings (key 5).

All was going well on disassembly until I slid key 6 out too far and the little balls (Key 3) went flying :flag_of_truce::nunu::banghead:. There are 6 balls, per side. I found all but one :flag_of_truce:(I was more careful on the second side and did not lose any ).

So it's off to the dealer for ONE little ball. It will cost more in gas than the little ball :banghead:. I think I'll buy 3.
Trip to the dealer netted NO little steel balls. None in stock. The parts guy reminded me I could have checked stock online or called. Which I did not :flag_of_truce:. I told him I did not think I was the first or last guy to lose these, so I figured they an "always stocked" item and I should not have to check. They said one of their other stores had them in stock and could have them late Friday or Saturday. I ordered 3, two more to drop and still get the job done :laugh:, only $0.38 each, I probably burnt $4 in gas driving there. And another $4 for the second trip.

Next I went to Menards (it's on the way home) to check their hardware department. They have these sliding racks with plastic bins, maybe 30 bins to rack and 15 - 20 racks. Probably on rack ten I found them, a two pack for $0.49. I would have searched online there, but their online search S#cks , easier to just go 6 miles more to the dealer.

Breakaway coupler is back together!!! Only thing left to do is add the trans/hydraulic oil I lost doing the split and drive it back to the farm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I looked everywhere, asked a few dealers if they had a stand like that. Did you make yours?? Man I wish I had one.

Those steel balls, they might be just 1/4" diameter and you can get them from amazon. I did basically the same thing as you, disassembled my 2 spool loader valve because it had 2 sheared bolts holding the detent mechanism on. When I slid it apart, the 4 balls went flying. Spent at least an hour looking in my garage for them. Haven't reassembled the detent yet, but I was able to get the balls.

Looks like you had a lot more success splitting yours than I did. Similar set-ups though, although I really wish I had one of those stands. I used a come-along to bring mine back together which worked well.

Side note - splitting mine I discovered the previous owner (or some nutjob) pulled the balancer shafts out. So I'll have to split it again to knock out those back bushings to replace all bushings and add new shafts... :gizmo::gizmo:

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked everywhere, asked a few dealers if they had a stand like that. Did you make yours?? Man I wish I had one.

Those steel balls, they might be just 1/4" diameter and you can get them from amazon. I did basically the same thing as you, disassembled my 2 spool loader valve because it had 2 sheared bolts holding the detent mechanism on. When I slid it apart, the 4 balls went flying. Spent at least an hour looking in my garage for them. Haven't reassembled the detent yet, but I was able to get the balls.

Looks like you had a lot more success splitting yours than I did. Similar set-ups though, although I really wish I had one of those stands. I used a come-along to bring mine back together which worked well.

Side note - splitting mine I discovered the previous owner (or some nutjob) pulled the balancer shafts out. So I'll have to split it again to knock out those back bushings to replace all bushings and add new shafts... :gizmo::gizmo:
Yes I built it. I found the ACME thread and nut in the scrap. I knew I could use it for something. I bought the largest steel swivel caster I could find (8" x 2") for easiest rolling. I should have welded a tube to it so I could put in a rod to steer it. :banghead:
I made the width adjustable to fit with or without side frames. Holes match side frame holes on flywheel housing.

The balls were 1/4" I went first to the dealer, none in stock, so I had them order some. Then I stopped at Menards and found them. I did go back to dealer and pick up the ones I ordered (right thing to do)

Why would anyone remove the balance shafts??? :dunno: How does it run without them?

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awesome! Man you should sell those... I know I'd buy one!

It runs like hell without the balancer shafts. The guys at the dealership we're suprised it ran at all, said they thought the radiator would vibrate off. It vibrates a lot, not unusable but what happens is random parts will become loose. I still plan to add some, if I don't drive it in the lake before then...
Yes I built it. I found the ACME thread and nut in the scrap. I knew I could use it for something. I bought the largest steel swivel caster I could find (8" x 2") for easiest rolling. I should have welded a tube to it so I could put in a rod to steer it. :banghead:
I made the width adjustable to fit with or without side frames. Holes match side frame holes on flywheel housing.

The balls were 1/4" I went first to the dealer, none in stock, so I had them order some. Then I stopped at Menards and found them. I did go back to dealer and pick up the ones I ordered (right thing to do)

Why would anyone remove the balance shafts??? :dunno: How does it run without them?
Edit: here is a video of it running: https://youtu.be/2hqlutC-b2k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts