Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to fill the 2305 to mow yesterday and started to fill the 2305.

I have the stupid idiot proof-spill proof diesel cans and I removed the spout and stuck a funnel in the tractor in the interest of saving time. The cans pour really slow. I am pouring away and I hear a couple thunks as something hard hits the funnel and goes in tank.

I figured I am going to mow and figure out what went into tank later. Mowed fine on the flats but died tried to climb any type of hill.

So back in the garage and tore it down removing the tank. Dumped out the contents and give her a good wash and blow dry with air.

Turns out the valve inside the fuel can fell apart and dropped into the can !

I need to start using a screened funnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
Bobcat MT55, T62, E10, E42, Deere 4100, Z225
500 Posts
Wow, I just got a new diesel can and don't even use the spout, I just pour the diesel into the skid steer. Works good that way, its fast, easy, and I dont even need a funnel! :good2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I went to fill the 2305 to mow yesterday and started to fill the 2305.

I have the stupid idiot proof-spill proof diesel cans and I removed the spout and stuck a funnel in the tractor in the interest of saving time. The cans pour really slow. I am pouring away and I hear a couple thunks as something hard hits the funnel and goes in tank.

I figured I am going to mow and figure out what went into tank later. Mowed fine on the flats but died tried to climb any type of hill.

So back in the garage and tore it down removing the tank. Dumped out the contents and give her a good wash and blow dry with air.

Turns out the valve inside the fuel can fell apart and dropped into the can !

I need to start using a screened funnel.
I followed the guidance in this video a few weeks back. Didn't take long at all and what a difference!

How to Fix a New Gas Can - YouTube

·
Registered
153 Posts
Justrite makes a nice can but it is expensive. You get what you pay for though and it will last a lifetime. I am using a NoSpill can right now and it works much better than the stuff from all the big box stores. If it does break or aggravate me for that matter I will be getting a Justrite can.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have had too many issues with the plastic new safety cans. I end up spilling more fuel than I ever did trying to hold the plastic safety button and the short spouts. I finally broke down and just ordered two of the Justrite Type 2 safety cans with the 1" X 9" flexible steel hose. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I think its time for a change.

I didnt even know part of the valving had fell apart and was in the can.

It is slow to pour anyway.

That said, at least I know how to remove the fuel tank if needed. Not too bad of job and sure the next time would be faster.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have had too many issues with the plastic new safety cans. I end up spilling more fuel than I ever did trying to hold the plastic safety button and the short spouts. I finally broke down and just ordered two of the Justrite Type 2 safety cans with the 1" X 9" flexible steel hose. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

We have some Justright ones and Eagle metal ones in our store.

Very Nice cans. I am using motocross ones and they are not safety cans and available at motorcross stores.

But if you looking for those safety cans we have them.

Green Tractor Talk Store - Eagle U2-51-S Red Galvanized Steel Type II Gas Safety Can with 7/8" Flex Spout, 5 gallon Capacity, 13.5" Height, 12.5" Diameter

and

Green Tractor Talk Store - Red Type 1 Safety Can, 5 Gal

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I just Gotta say...........

I followed the guidance in this video a few weeks back. Didn't take long at all and what a difference!

I took ten minutes out of my life to retro-fix (if thats a word), per the video, one of my fuel cans as described in the YouTube Video that was posted. I may now be hunted down by the EPA, Countless Environmental Groups, the DEC, the Bureau of Indian affairs, and others,! But, I will say that I've now got a fuel vessel that I can use! The rachet lock on the cap, and the 'nub' that holds it, are a two-minute fix. Tearing out the 'close/open' PITA Button took all of ten seconds! I've revised the Tire Valve placement portion of the 'fix'! I knew that I'd be fueling the tractor and lose the valve cap for the suggested vent! On E-bay, They sell plastic vents that will fit the suggested 1/2" hole in the 'flat-spot' with an "Attached Flip-Over plastic cap at 3/$5 cost! That's the route I'm taking! The end result is a can that you don't have to fight at the pump to fill, and that will seal as intended when the lever is not depressed, and will flow when depensing in a manner to which we were all acustom to before the regulators thought we were too dumb to fuel a lawnmower......... ~Scotty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-THREE-Bla...930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7688dc3a

I'd be remiss if I didn't say that this 'fix' would seem to work fine for a new/clean can! I'm Retro-Fixing some older ones! Great care must be taken when drilling into a can that has previously had fuel/gas/etc in it! A couple drops of gas in a can that has been in the sun will create pressure and vapor! When the drill bit penetrates the can, for the vent hole, the first thing it's going to hit is the 'sparking' brushes of the drill motor, and bad things can happen! If in doubt, fill the rinsed can with water, or don't use this process at all! Lawyer 101- Proceed at you own risk! ~Scotty

·
Registered
440 Posts
I took ten minutes out of my life to retro-fix (if thats a word), per the video, one of my fuel cans as described in the YouTube Video that was posted. I may now be hunted down by the EPA, Countless Environmental Groups, the DEC, the Bureau of Indian affairs, and others,! But, I will say that I've now got a fuel vessel that I can use! The rachet lock on the cap, and the 'nub' that holds it, are a two-minute fix. Tearing out the 'close/open' PITA Button took all of ten seconds! I've revised the Tire Valve placement portion of the 'fix'! I knew that I'd be fueling the tractor and lose the valve cap for the suggested vent! On E-bay, They sell plastic vents that will fit the suggested 1/2" hole in the 'flat-spot' with an "Attached Flip-Over plastic cap at 3/$5 cost! That's the route I'm taking! The end result is a can that you don't have to fight at the pump to fill, and that will seal as intended when the lever is not depressed, and will flow when depensing in a manner to which we were all acustom to before the regulators thought we were too dumb to fuel a lawnmower......... ~Scotty

3 (THREE) Black Universal Replacement Blitz Gas Can, Vent Cap, Fuel Jug Vents. | eBay

I'd be remiss if I didn't say that this 'fix' would seem to work fine for a new/clean can! I'm Retro-Fixing some older ones! Great care must be taken when drilling into a can that has previously had fuel/gas/etc in it! A couple drops of gas in a can that has been in the sun will create pressure and vapor! When the drill bit penetrates the can, for the vent hole, the first thing it's going to hit is the 'sparking' brushes of the drill motor, and bad things can happen! If in doubt, fill the rinsed can with water, or don't use this process at all! Lawyer 101- Proceed at you own risk! ~Scotty
Glad it worked out Scotty! I too am pleased with the results. I thought I found that video on here btw.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ireagan12-I should have given you posting credit for that Video! My 'Bad'.............~Scotty
No need to Scotty...like I said I think I found that link on here. Bottom line is it fixes those ridiculous cans.

·
Registered
641 Posts

That has to be the best fix for an item I have seen in some time! I HATE :banghead: the new gas cans but now have an easy fix for all the cans at the shop. I also just use a 5 gallon motorsport can which is much better but run about $30 a can.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That has to be the best fix for an item I have seen in some time! I HATE :banghead: the new gas cans but now have an easy fix for all the cans at the shop. I also just use a 5 gallon motorsport can which is much better but run about $30 a can.
GREENVA! Where are you in Nokesville? I'm there too!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Off Carriage Ford Rd before you get to the PWC training facility.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.