Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 3038E delivered today, YAY! Now I'm wondering how much of a "must have" and I-match/quick hitch is. Right now I only have a ballast box but plan in a 6' tiller and a back blade in the future. The tiller will get used 3-5 times a year, other than that the ballast box will be on the 3 pt.

And since everyone here like pictures...

·
Premium Member
12,786 Posts
Just had my 3038E delivered today, YAY! Now I'm wondering how much of a "must have" and I-match/quick hitch is. Right now I only have a ballast box but plan in a 6' tiller and a back blade in the future. The tiller will get used 3-5 times a year, other than that the ballast box will be on the 3 pt.
I'm pretty much the same way and vote for the iMatch. If for nothing else it allows you to adjust your sway chains ONCE and be done with it. Without the iMatch you will typically have to fiddle with the sway chains for every implement change.

The easy-to-change implements thing goes without saying. :good2:

·
Administrator
18,343 Posts
Wrestle that loaded ballast box a few times, then come back and ask :lolol:

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
A ballast box is HEAVY.

Unless it is on wheels of some sort, it isn't easy to connect/remove from a 3 point hitch. I would recommend the quick hitch just for that reason.

Another benifit is a quick hitch will move the box back about 3 to 4 inches. That will make it more effective at unloading the front axle.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Are you young and still "strong like bull"? Once you mess up your back like 99% of the real men who work hard then you learn to protect this valuable structure. Quick hitch money is cheap compared to recurring downtime and pain.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think it's a "must have" accessory. Granted, 3 point hitch tractors have been used for decades without benefit of a quick hitch but you'll never have to fuss around getting everything perfectly lined up. Both of my 3720's have the Deere iMatch and I loved it so much I added one to my Ford 3000.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
While we are spending your money and saving your back....

Kenny's Bolt On Hooks....:bigthumb:

Did anyone mention that we aren't "thrifty". :gizmo:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Kenny's Bolt On Hooks....:bigthumb:
I added "D" rings rather than hooks,, but,
I agree the bucket connections will be much more enjoyed compared to the quick hitch,,,

The heck with spending :gizmo: ,,, The HF QH cost me $75,,, a couple weeks ago,,,:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I have been using an iMatch for 2 years now and would not be without it. Just back up to an implement and raise up the hitch and you are done. The ONLY downside is that it makes it a little bit more difficult to get "in there" and hook up the PTO.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Until you have another implement or want to remove the ballast box you have some time to let the bank account rest.

When you go shopping for the implements, make sure they are QH compatible. The name brands like Frontier, Landpride, Woods, etc are pretty much all QH ready.

Oh, and Kenny has D-rings as well. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
12,786 Posts
I think it's a "must have" accessory. Granted, 3 point hitch tractors have been used for decades without benefit of a quick hitch but you'll never have to fuss around getting everything perfectly lined up. Both of my 3720's have the Deere iMatch and I loved it so much I added one to my Ford 3000.
True. But back in the day they used to put nice crank adjustments on the right lift arm to make it easy to get the draft arms attached. Somewhere along the line they decided that was too easy and started replacing the cranks with turnbuckle-like devices which aren't nearly as handy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get the imatch for sure. IMO, shop for a used old style one with a fixed top hook, and make all impliments match it. Also, skip the HF ones... I acquired one in a package deal and used it until I found a nice used imatch- worked OK, but did hit some pto shafts because the cross brace is a big fat tube, where the imatch is much more slender. I'll warn ya, old styles go fast, so scoop one up if you see it- I'm looking for a second in case I decide to get another tractor! :)

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Alright, you guys win! I will buy a quick hitch!!
Actually, you win when you add the QH. :thumbup1gif: You'll not think twice about it after using it a couple of times. Yup, looks like it is going to get attached to a very nice machine.

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Wrestle that loaded ballast box a few times, then come back and ask :lolol:
:lolol:

Kenny's Bolt On Hooks....

:bigthumb:

Wow, that was a quick flurry of responses! Alright, you guys win! I will buy a quick hitch!!
:thumbup1gif:

I have been using an iMatch for 2 years now and would not be without it. Just back up to an implement and raise up the hitch and you are done. The ONLY downside is that it makes it a little bit more difficult to get "in there" and hook up the PTO.
Dave
:banghead:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wow, that was a quick flurry of responses! Alright, you guys win! I will buy a quick hitch!!
JDS87-

Before you rush to an I-Match, do your research on this and other forums. If I were you, I'd look hard at a Pat's ECS (Easy Change System). I extoll the virtues of this system a lot on this forum, I'll be the first to admit, but I find it hard to fault something largely made of cast iron, 100% USA made (as opposed to steel welded and painted in a Chinese sweatshop. I do not work for Pat's by the way (full disclosure, but I really like the product)

With the significant cost savings of a Pat's ECS over a Deere iMatch, you can use the difference in cost to buy some bolt on hooks from Ken's and/or some good Kentucky Bourbon distilled and aged in the same state that Pat's products are made.

Congrats on your tractor purchase, good luck with your QH search and beyond,

Brian

1 - 20 of 57 Posts