Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think one of the best 3PH tools I bought has been the I Match. It fits great on most everything but it did not fit the Frontier ballast box or the Frontier back blade. Funny, they are marked as I Match compatable but I had to modify them.

The ballast box is too narrow and the lower hooks line up over the linch pin holes. Since I don't anticipate this box ever being used without the I Match I decided to weld the bushings on. I welded a large washer on the end of the bushing to keep the box from sliding off, then welded the bushing to the lower pin. Now, those of you that can weld, don't look too close at this welding please. :lol: I just primed them for now until I get some green paint.

Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (13) (Custom).jpg Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (15) (Custom).jpg Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (19) (Custom).jpg Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (20) (Custom).jpg

The back blade fit the lower pins fine but the bracket on the upper pin was too big and would bind on the upper hook bolts. I just sliced off about 3/8" with a straight edge and a thin wheel on the side grinder, it works good now.

Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (2) (Custom).jpg Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (6) (Custom).jpg Tractor I Match Mod 2012-10-21 (7) (Custom).jpg

Everything is ready for the I Match and it is such an ease changing tools now. :good2:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Those aren't the recommended bushings on the ballast box. Any time you just have pins sticking out (non clevice type), you should use these.
You will be much happier with them. Looks like you made your own anyway:good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw pictures of these but couldn't find them anywhere. My "dealer" is the one who suggested welding the other bushings on. It worked ok although it can't be used without the I Match now, which I don't mind.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I saw pictures of these but couldn't find them anywhere. My "dealer" is the one who suggested welding the other bushings on. It worked ok although it can't be used without the I Match now, which I don't mind.

Thanks
Kenny posted this in another thread. Looks like the cheapest bushings around QUICK HITCH ADAPTER KIT CAT 1-3

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenny posted this in another thread. Looks like the cheapest bushings around QUICK HITCH ADAPTER KIT CAT 1-3
That's where I saw them. For $15 they would have been worth it, depending on the shipping to Canada. But then again it gave me a small project to play with my welder. :laugh:

·
Administrator
17,137 Posts
I think Princess Auto has them as well.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I purchased mine at TSC. I also got my Quick Hitch from there as well, the Quick Hitch came with one set, but I needed a second set.

·
Banned
747 Posts
kinda late now, but got a Princess Auto handy, if not you can order online... Got mine there.

Adapter Bushing | Princess Auto

That's where I saw them. For $15 they would have been worth it, depending on the shipping to Canada. But then again it gave me a small project to play with my welder. :laugh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Northern Tool sells the bushings on Ebay for $12.99 + $7.99 shipping.

I have the Haul Master quick hitch from HF ($68 on sale). I had the same problem with the top hook bolts and my JD 95 rear blade and one home made attachment. I was wondering if the new Deere i-Match with the adjustable top hook had that same problem, it appears it does. I really don't understand why they went to the adjustable top hook, seems like it causes more fitment issues than it solves. Besides that, who wants to get out a set of wrenches and adjust the hitch when changing attachments, seems to defeat the purpose of a quick hitch. They should have left the hitch alone. Why did they bother to create a standard, and then change the hitch to make it fit non-standard implements, which in turn makes it no longer fit many of the standard implements. I bet there are a couple of real smart engineers behind that decision. I took the bolts out of mine and welded the hook in the standard position.

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts

I have the Haul Master quick hitch from HF ($68 on sale). I had the same problem with the top hook bolts and my JD 95 rear blade and one home made attachment. I was wondering if the new Deere i-Match with the adjustable top hook had that same problem, it appears it does. I really don't understand why they went to the adjustable top hook, seems like it causes more fitment issues than it solves. Besides that, who wants to get out a set of wrenches and adjust the hitch when changing attachments, seems to defeat the purpose of a quick hitch. They should have left the hitch alone. Why did they bother to create a standard, and then change the hitch to make it fit non-standard implements, which in turn makes it no longer fit many of the standard implements. I bet there are a couple of real smart engineers behind that decision. I took the bolts out of mine and welded the hook in the standard position.
Exactly. I'll take the time to make sure the attachments I buy are either iMatch compatible, or I'll spend the time to "correct" the implement once and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see now that Princess Auto has them on line, they didn't have them in the store I go to though. The gas I spent driving around to various shops, dealers included, I could have paid the shipping, :nunu:. Anyway, the mod I did with the bushings given to me by my "dealer" worked out fine just the same, probably better in that they are welded to the pins.

I guess what puzzled me more is the idea of I Match not really matching, especially within the JD and Frontier lines. The box could have been made slightly wider with the pins like are on the other implements. Also the back blade brace being too big, what's that about?? This isn't rocket science, its "tractor science", :lol: and that's not too difficult.

But regardless, now that everything picks up and drops off with the flip of a couple of levers, it is real real nice. I might sound like I'm complaining but not really, I like playing around with that stuff anyway. Thanks for the comments!

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Kinda wondering if the box is in fact made the correct width and they want you to use the shouldered bushing to keep it from sliding back and forth?

I dont know. I think its odd that on the top bushing they they proper bushing setup is two bushings. One to fit the pin going through and the other slightly larger to go outside it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know why they use two bushings on the top pin, but top and bottom are category 3 sizes. They make quick hitches that hook up to the standard category 1 pins, so I'm not sure why they designed the i-Match to use bushings. It would be much simpler to just hook up to any implement without needing the bushings. I went with the i-Match type so I could use my dad's implements and because it seems to be most common, but I think I'd prefer the other. I suppose a larger diameter pin will wear better, but pins are cheap.

Hey, I've got a question for you guys that have the JD hitches. Do the locking ears on the lower hooks close tight against the bushings when it's hooked up? On the HF hitch there's a lot of play, the lower bushings can rise up out of the hook almost 1/2" before they hit the locks.

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
Pretty snug on the iMatch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351273331.486036.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The shoulder is to prevent lateral shifting, but the linch pins do that on the other implements so the shoulder isn't really needed if the linch pin is used. And on the JD IM it fits snug when the bushings slip into place. I kinda think they designed the IM with bushings so guys like us could jaw about them, :laugh:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I buy all the cat 1 to cat3 top bushing I can find but still have two bushings on alot of my implements. The other thing I have done is buy the cat 3 top pins and weld them in place on some of the shortline brands. I do this so that I can cut out the horizontal flatbar that is commonly placed below the top link holes. I have several implements where this is the only modification that was needed to make them IMatch compatible. The best thing about welding in the top link pin is it makes them impossible to loose.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts

..... I bet there are a couple of real smart engineers behind that decision....
I suspect that engineers make very few decisions in today's corporate world, which explains a lot :mocking:.

So I'd say there were a couple of real smart engineers that implemented the decision that some idiot in marketing made. And they were probably shaking their heads as much as we are now.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I was walking through Princess Auto today, because that is how I relieve stress mid day sometimes, and they now have on the shelf the stepped bushings that I needed for the ballast box. It was like someone in their purchasing department is watching this thread and saw that I had fabricated the bushings and said, ok, now put some on the shelf. :nunu: :laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts

Interceptor,
I am experiencing the same frustration with new Frontier equipment (2013 iMatch and landscape rake.) I don't understand how JD could make that gaff.
Thanks,
MD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts