Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 1025R a few months ago. I only have 12 hours on it, but I know that I'll need to grease the fittings sooner than later. What grease gun do you guys recommend. I see the LockNLube commercials all the time. Is the LockNLube Professional Pistol-Grip Grease Gun as good as they say?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The lock n lube tip is a no brainer....get one...Yes its worth it.

If your tooled up for De Walt or Milwaukie cordless tools....Get one of the cordless gg's

I have the De walt....Works great.
I'd have rather bought Milwaukie but DW was on sale and I needed a new battery anyway.

Can't go wrong with either. AND its the season they will go on sale SOON.

What I don't like in the cordless is the ability to "feel" how the fitting is taking grease.

There are times I revert to the oldschool hand pump guns...I have about a dozen scattered about the sheds & barns.

Some dedicated to certain greases...Corn Head ,The gooey orange stuff for excavater ,Red ,Black...and some others .

The LNL tip is so far ....perfect.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If your tooled up for De Walt or Milwaukie cordless tools....Get one of the cordless gg's

I have the De walt....Works great.
I'd have rather bought Milwaukie but DW was on sale and I needed a new battery anyway.
I was looking at the Dewalt 20V cordless grease gun. I already have a lot of their tools and a variety of batteries. Maybe that's the way to go, huh? As you suggested, I can add the LockNLube coupler for a better setup.

Reactions: Ripsaw

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I was looking at the Dewalt 20V cordless grease gun. I already have a lot of their tools and a variety of batteries. Maybe that's the way to go, huh? As you suggested, I can add the LockNLube coupler for a better setup.

I got my DW for 99 bux iirc...it works for a long time with the 2.0 battery.

Now they have them on sale with a plastic case..and whatever else.

Its got a nice long hose...put my LNL tip on it.

Now the only downer I've encountered.....the tip needs a swivel as the LNL lever ended up in an odd position and is sometimes akward to pull on lever and have it clear whatever ( loader frame ,excavater hoses...etc).

I think theres a new fix for this someone posted recently. Somesort of swilel dealiO

Otherwise...you will be way happy if your tooled up for DW.

I bought it ..( my only 20 v tool) and the adapter to run the 20v batts on all my 18v stuff.

18v batteries are still running 99 bux and I'm not playing that game...can get 2 of the 20v for 80 or less .

Ohh....the spring on the DW GG is one beast...I've had Jr. open it up the 2 times we've changed grease tubes.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts

What I don't like in the cordless is the ability to "feel" how the fitting is taking grease.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have a couple manual grease guns and a Milwaukee M18 gun - all with LnL couplers. I prefer the lever type instead of the pistol grip. There is something satisfying about the "feel" of grease smoothly flowing into the zerk confirming that everything is free and clear. :)

I've had the best luck with the Workforce heavy duty grease guns that Tractor Supply sells.

Reactions: Dr Kubar and rtgt

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I admit that it would be nice to have a battery operated grease gun and I have both DeWalt and Milwaukee stuff. But there just is not enough grease zerks, nor the need to grease often enough, to justify the cost. I have 2 JD grease guns and and a Plews grease gun. I have the Lock&Lube on one of the JD guns and a swivel nozzle on the other. One has the rubber hose. That lets me pretty much get to anything I need. However, one of the JD guns is the pistol grip and it is difficult to operate as it takes more hand strength. I would not recommend it. The Plews grease gun is used only to put cheap grease in gear boxes that tend to leak gear oil.

Dave

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Grease Gun

Go for the Lube-Shuttle -- great system

rob

Reactions: chex313

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I may say get a pair of glasses before you grease a ujoint. Have had a few (not on the tractor so far) that squirt grease as the seal let's the grease escape. Much easier to wash the glasses then the eye. Tho to be honest some grease is still a bugger to get off glasses.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Greasing a JD SCUT drive train is very awkward. It’s hard to lie on the ground to get the U joints and try to manipulate a lever-type grease gun underneath the tractor. The Milwaukee makes all that a lot simpler. LockNLube tip is a must, however.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'll give another positive vote for the lock n lube tip. They really do make life a lot better for greasing equipment.

I also have the lock n lube pistol grip grease gun. I'm really happy with it and it works really well. I would buy one again without a second thought.

Reactions: chex313

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have some zerks that a LNL wont fit so I have 2 guns (really 6)
A Milwaukee (had a Dewalt but traded as I have mostly Milwaukee) and a pistol grip is what I use most.
If you have Dewalt tools go with that for battery.

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
I admit that it would be nice to have a battery operated grease gun and I have both DeWalt and Milwaukee stuff. But there just is not enough grease zerks, nor the need to grease often enough, to justify the cost. I have 2 JD grease guns and and a Plews grease gun. I have the Lock&Lube on one of the JD guns and a swivel nozzle on the other. One has the rubber hose. That lets me pretty much get to anything I need. However, one of the JD guns is the pistol grip and it is difficult to operate as it takes more hand strength. I would not recommend it. The Plews grease gun is used only to put cheap grease in gear boxes that tend to leak gear oil.

Dave
Pretty much the same here.

I have two pistol grip guns and one lever type. The pistol grip ones are easier to use one handed and they have the rubber hoses on them.

The tractor, FEL, and Z turn use the JD Poly grease.

The backhoe uses a different type of grease so that is in the second pistol gun.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I use a dewalt cordless with high pressure swivel coupling added to the hose and a lock and lube tip. For the dreaded universal zerk my lockand lube doesn’t work thru that hole in the metal plate and the angle of that zerk so I use s manual gun for that one zerk and it works every time. I bought my manual gun from the dealer. It’s a John Deere gun that the tech got for me when I asked him, which one. Quality is pretty decent, I’m very happy with it. I have a loc and lube swivel coupling in this one too.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I'm with some of the others, I could never cost justify a cordless grease gun for as often I utilize it and one for all the different types of grease for the various equipment.

I did purchase an Alemite grease gun, from LocknLube, as well as their coupler after reading another thread on this forum in this regard. I had purchased a 5 gallon pale of grease about 20 years ago of the type I utilize most. The plan was to just refill a grease gun by drawing it from the pale. None of my grease guns would draw it from the pale--their plungers just didn't seal up tight enough. I even purchased a high end NAPA grease gun. So I figured I had enough grease to hand pack wheel bearings for 10 lifetimes.

After reading the thread about the Alemite grease gun and the LocknLube coupler, I ordered the pistol grip model. I was thrilled with the quality of the Alemite grease gun and the fact I can now bulk refill from the pale of grease. It is the only grease gun I found that would do so.

The LocknLube coupler works well, but it has limitations. Often, I find there is just not enough space for the added length and/or the release actuator. So I'm back to a regular coupler for those applications on another grease gun. As to a 1025R, you will find the standard LocknLube coupler will not fit through the access hole, in the frame cross plate, to lube the front engine to transaxle shaft U-Joint. I understand they offer an extended reach coupler that will, but that added length will be a clearance issue for other applications.

The problem with multiple grease guns is they all leak and are messy. So you have to come up with a place to store them and contain the mess. A plastic storage tub, with lid, works OK for one or two guns, but after that they start taking up too much room in the shop.

If all you're greasing is your 1025R, I'd go with a cheap grease gun with a standard coupler and utilize refill tubes.

Reactions: raco232 and rtgt

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
I have some zerks that a LNL wont fit so I have 2 guns (really 6)
A Milwaukee (had a Dewalt but traded as I have mostly Milwaukee) and a pistol grip is what I use most.
If you have Dewalt tools go with that for battery.
I have just a few zerks that are difficult to get at with the LNL. For those I have a short section of hose with a zerk on one end and a standard coupler on the other. I just attach it to my LNL coupler and then am able to reach even the most difficult zerks. For me this works better than having multiple grease guns with different tips. I also have a little right angle adapter that I can attach to my LNL when needed.

Reactions: Dr Kubar and rtgt

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,115 Posts
Two pistol grip grease guns here, both have the same grease in them, both with extended hoses.
I also can not justify a cordless grease gun nor the LocknLube fitting. When the standard grease gun couplers no longer stays on the zerk fitting I buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
I have just a few zerks that are difficult to get at with the LNL. For those I have a short section of hose with a zerk on one end and a standard coupler on the other. I just attach it to my LNL coupler and then am able to reach even the most difficult zerks. For me this works better than having multiple grease guns with different tips. I also have a little right angle adapter that I can attach to my LNL when needed.
:good2:

·
Premium Member
13,856 Posts
Two pistol grip grease guns here, both have the same grease in them, both with extended hoses.
I also can not justify a cordless grease gun nor the LocknLube fitting. When the standard grease gun couplers no longer stays on the zerk fitting I buy a new one.
Same here, two pistol grip grease guns, one with LNL XL that I only use on the MMM and the FEL. For all other fittings I use an angled rigid tip. Can no way justify a 2-$300 grease gun for this small equipment. Up in the machinery shed we do have a cordless gun for the hay making equipment, but there are 3 times as many grease fittings on the tedder alone than my 2025R, though when the batteries die I finish off with the pistol grip handgun.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I bought a lock n lube tip. Works great but due to it's size won't fit in every situation. As far as grease guns, I don't need anything fancy so I just have a few cheap ones from Walmart. They work fine for me. I find it helps to have several different styles handy. Like one with a rigid tube and one with a flex hose.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and PJR832
1 - 20 of 55 Posts