Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I need some help finding a radio for my pickup. Here are my requirements:

USB port on the front that can charge and play music from my phone.

Radio that gets AM and FM.

Must dim when lights turned on.

Big, easy to see/ push buttons.

Everything I found has a ton of useless features, tiny little impossible to push buttons, eleven thousand different scrolling light shows you can program and a lot of them don't automatically dim. If I could get a factory radio with a USB plug on it, I'd be thrilled. I like factory radios because they're easy to use.

The closest I've found is the Jensen HD36A I think, it's designed for tractors and equipment and is expensive. It looks rugged and fairly simple, but I don't know if it has the auto dimming feature.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Alright, I need some help finding a radio for my pickup. Here are my requirements:

USB port on the front that can charge and play music from my phone.

Radio that gets AM and FM.

Must dim when lights turned on.

Big, easy to see/ push buttons.

Everything I found has a ton of useless features, tiny little impossible to push buttons, eleven thousand different scrolling light shows you can program and a lot of them don't automatically dim. If I could get a factory radio with a USB plug on it, I'd be thrilled. I like factory radios because they're easy to use.

The closest I've found is the Jensen HD36A I think, it's designed for tractors and equipment and is expensive. It looks rugged and fairly simple, but I don't know if it has the auto dimming feature.
I've got a working AM / FM Disc player radio out of a 2008 Lincoln Navigator L. It was working fine when I swapped it out for an Infotainment system with Navigation. Your welcome to have it but it might not fit your stock dash opening.

Lincoln CD6.jpg

·
Registered
21,539 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I've got a working AM / FM Disc player radio out of a 2008 Lincoln Navigator L. It was working fine when I swapped it out for an Infotainment system with Navigation. Your welcome to have it but it might not fit your stock dash opening.
Frank that more than likely has a CAN BUS system that's incompatible and probably won't work even if it fit.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have always used the entry line pioneer or jvc. Very cheap blue tooth easy to operate. My wife just wants blue tooth I bought her a pioneer data deck. 80$ with blue tooth, no CD player just a am fm tuner. I get them through Crutchfield and they come with the wire adapters and instructions. Goo luck

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Frank that more than likely has a CAN BUS system that's incompatible and probably won't work even if it fit.
Good thought Pat. I just checked and starting in 2006 the Can bus was adopted for these vehicles. It allows an interface with the rear seat DVD player and controls. Not sure whether it would work as a stand alone.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I have always used the entry line pioneer or jvc. Very cheap blue tooth easy to operate. My wife just wants blue tooth I bought her a pioneer data deck. 80$ with blue tooth, no CD player just a am fm tuner. I get them through Crutchfield and they come with the wire adapters and instructions. Goo luck
We went with a pioneer in a 03 explorer. Fit in and the connection kit worked well. I can't remember if I got it at AutoZone or pep boys. The stereo is just the start because you have to get the electrical kit and face plate kit.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frank, thanks for the offer but that wouldn't fit without a lot of modifying I think.

All the entry level radios I found have stupid tiny buttons and other stuff I don't need. I'd rather have useable controls than a screen with a bunch of info and little eq bars and other crap flashing around.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does Amazon or eBay have a factory replacement? Seems it would be a good option if you can hook up your USB.
The factory radio in my 1997 model pickup comes with the optional tape deck. I don't believe USB even existed at the time.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Blake - go to crutchfield.com. You can enter your vehicle specs and they'll list what will fit. You can also filter on features (USB, etc.) and narrow down your search. They'll send detailed installation instructions. Good company to deal with.

They also have online chat so you can find out about things like the auto-dim.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
You need to invent the Jitterbug Radio, :mocking: :lolol:

IMG_0530.JPG

·
Registered
702 Posts
A customer's vehicle had an aftermarket radio I was trying to turn off. I had to sit and study/experiment for at least 10 minutes just to figure out how to turn the dam thing off. There is NO marked power button and I finally had to press and hold some button that was def NOT marked as a power button. I thoroughly despise all the electronic gadgets in today's vehicles. I hated electric windows and door locks when they came out, but after they've pretty much worked the bugs out of those (35 to 40 yrs later) I'm OK with them.

Edit to add: On today's vehicles, if your alternator goes out and no longer charges the battery you will be very lucky to get 10 minutes drive time to get to a place to repair it before your battery is completely drained and it dies in the road. Probably less time than that due to the TREMENDOUS DRAIN caused by all the electronics. But you simply can't buy a vehicle today without all that stuff.

I need just a very few modern conveniences in my truck:
Working AC--I live in Louisiana--top priority
Cruise control--I get tickets if I don't use it
A good SIMPLE radio--preferrably like the one the OP is searching for so I can listen to the music I want to listen to through the USB or whatever. After the Walton and Johnson morning show goes off @10am I have no further use for the radio itself. Nothing but ads and mindless drivel with a song sprinkled in there every now and then.
I now like the electric locks/windows, especially now that I'm getting older and less able to reach all the way across to roll down a window etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts