Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First. Sorry for starting another weather thread. My patience is wearing on me atm
Seeing how the weather channel app keeps crashing on me in the wettest part of the year, I am done waiting for them to fix their stuff.
Anyone got any reviews or decent fairly accurate apps they use on iPad/phone? I use the Noah radar app that is excellent to pinpoint cells, but doesn’t have an extended forecast. I wpaint an app to take a quick look at the weather forecast that doesn’t crash on me. Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
It’s not an app per se but acts like one.

I don’t remember it was so long ago but somewhere it had instructions how to put a shortcut on your desktop for ipad and iphone.

I’ve about had it with most all the weather apps anymore. I use WunderStation a lot becuase I have a weather station that uploads data to Weather Underground. But their regular recently updated app is junk.

I trust NOAA above all for accurate forecasts with no fluff. However their radar isn’t the best so I use Storm Radar app which of course is owned by The Weather Channel.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Take a look at the Weather Underground app. It's tied into the NWS and also gets feeds from hundreds of thousands of local weather stations that people buy and setup at their homes/businesses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Didn’t wunderground just discontinue their api for personal stations to upload their info? I am almost done building an arduini based DIY station and was hoping to connect to wunderground but appears that’s no longer an option

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Didn’t wunderground just discontinue their api for personal stations to upload their info? I am almost done building an arduini based DIY station and was hoping to connect to wunderground but appears that’s no longer an option
They did change their connection system. They discontinued their API that allowed for direct connection but they run several apps that other major collectors of data use. So you have to find someone else who aggregates weather data and then forwards that to Weather Underground. I live in a town of 3,200 people and we used to have about a dozen weather stations that showed up on the Weather Underground maps. Now that's down to 6 or 7.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I agree -- the mainstream apps have become a mess with so many ads and performance issues. I switched to WEAWOW on my Android for routine information (with Weather Underground as a backup for more details). I haven't tried their IOS app, but they do offer one.

Screenshot_20200214-104517_weawow.jpg

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I use weather underground also since I have a weather station that sends them data. I also use Dark Sky, originally made for apple, for my radar and is quite accurate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
AccuWeather app works well

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
The problem with apps other than Weather Underground is that the nearest forecast office is 100 miles to my south and out of the mountains I am in. There is a huge difference in conditions and forecasts.

NOAA - the link I provided above - plus their regular website (www.weather.gov) takes my location into account. That is why they are the most reliable forecast for me.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am an Android user but I think these are on IOS.

Two that I use quite a bit are

My Radar
Windy

My Radar is good if you want a quick snap shot of conditions like storms. For instance tracking hurricanes. Not that we get many of them in MN.

Windy had a ton of info. The learning curve might be a little steep but the data is pretty cool. It also allows you to compare several different models.

·
Premium Member
12,602 Posts
I have AccuWeather and Wunderground on my phone. But by far the most accurate app I've ever had for weather was
DTN Ag Weather Tools

However, it is not a free app once you get past the free trial.

·
Registered
136 Posts
First. Sorry for starting another weather thread. My patience is wearing on me atm
Seeing how the weather channel app keeps crashing on me in the wettest part of the year, I am done waiting for them to fix their stuff.
Anyone got any reviews or decent fairly accurate apps they use on iPad/phone? I use the Noah radar app that is excellent to pinpoint cells, but doesn’t have an extended forecast. I wpaint an app to take a quick look at the weather forecast that doesn’t crash on me. Thanks

Kyle

I like weather bug.

rob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I’ll check these out. I have all my apps up to date and evven restarted my stuff to an app that as soon as it opens crashes on me. Now that I think of it, maybe deleting and then reinstalling might work. I still want to research different apps so thanks again guys

·
Registered
599 Posts
Carrot Weather is a great app on iOS. I like that it’s not flashing ads in my face like most of the others. It’s made by an indie developer who updates it all the time. The other great thing is you can choose from different data sources for the app to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I dumped weather underground after the last app upgrade. It is sooooo sloowwww. When I want the temp in don‘t want to wait a minute for it too load and stuff I liked is all now at an extra subscription cost.

I have found the accuweather app to be outstanding. I think the weather channel maybe phasing weather underground out. They have basically killed off it’s brand on TV and now are making the the same as the weather channel app.

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
I dumped weather underground after the last app upgrade. It is sooooo sloowwww. When I want the temp in don‘t want to wait a minute for it too load and stuff I liked is all now at an extra subscription cost.

I have found the accuweather app to be outstanding. I think the weather channel maybe phasing weather underground out. They have basically killed off it’s brand on TV and now are making the the same as the weather channel app.
I also use AccuWeather app on my iPad. As I said earlier the only thing is my current conditions are off because of my location. But I find their forecasts pretty accurate plus I like the other features.

In fact I like it enough to pay to not have the ads plus get the 25 day forecast. For $4 it is worth it. The other apps - like Storm which is owned by The Weather Channel - want $3 per month which I find crazy. accuWeather is a $3 one time fee which I find reasonable since I just can’t stand ads in anything.

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
Another app which I find really cool - where my weather geekiness shows - is Ventusky. I love the streaming wind currents - really neat to see the flow of air above the ground between different systems. It also has a lot of other features which aren’t really hidden but you have to click/tap at the bottom where more info comes up. This is another app that I paid for - $3 one time fee - because I believe in paying the develpoers who put a lot of work into apps like this. Once paid it opens a lot of other features.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts