Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to smart phones :hide: For years I had a simple "flip phone" Carrier troubles caused me to switch to a "smart phone"

Please recommend a "call block" app I can get from the Google Play Store or else where that is SIMPLE to use. Since I got this phone I am constantly getting calls from unknown callers. "Googling" the missed call number usually points to scam or unwanted sales ploy.

I have been told the "do not call list" is of little help. Criminals don't obey it.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Did you check to see if your phone already has one? Most of the Android phones that I've seen have auto-call rejection built in from the get-go.

What phone do you have and who is your carrier?

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Zebra five-my uncle's smart phone is just the opposite so far for him. people have been calling him, and say what u want? he says nothing and they say well u called me such and such a time. but he never made the calls. now my boys have never had these problems-but they got their phones from regular carriers. my aunt got his from HSN channel. my wife bought my flat faced phone from QVC channel 4 yrs ago and I've never had these type of problems. he said he would make me a good deal on his, since I found out they have maps on them.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If you go to your call history, then press and hold on the number, you will get a screen with options. One of them is to block that number. The biggest problem is that the robo callers use many numbers, so it will take some time to block them.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
If you go to your call history, then press and hold on the number, you will get a screen with options.
That's phone/carrier specific. If I do that on mine it does nothing.

I go into my "Recent Calls" list, check a number and then select the options tab (three dots "...") at the top of the screen. From there I can add the number to the auto-reject list.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
That's phone/carrier specific. If I do that on mine it does nothing.

I go into my "Recent Calls" list, check a number and then select the options tab (three dots "...") at the top of the screen. From there I can add the number to the auto-reject list.
Yup. To do it on the iPhone you hit the little i in a circle to get to the menu.

Zebrafive, exactly which phone do you have?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
That is the way it works on Android phones.

Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try just clicking on the caller and looking for an "options" or "more". It would help if we knew what kind of phone you had. Another option is to google "how to block calls on a <insert your phone name here>"

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Until we know what phone he has:munch:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You said google play.... So that should make it a Samsung type phone. Call block is in your setting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Overtime I get a call I don't recognize or want, I block it.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Assuming that this is an Android phone, you have about 100 ways of doing it. :(

Here are some:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-block-phone-calls-on-your-android-smartphone/

Android's strength, and weakness, is that there is no specific "one way" to do most things. And, the options change over time with different manufacturers, different carriers, different handsets, and different versions of the operating system.

As much as I hate that Apple "handcuffs" you in terms of what your options are on iOS devices, the experience is consistent across models, iOS versions (sometimes things are modified, but then that becomes the norm), and carriers.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I should have posted the phone model :hide:

It's a Motorola MOTO E 2nd GEN.

Recent Calls; only option I see is "Call back" or Delete. I think Delete only deletes the record of the missed call.

Carrier is Consumer Cellular. I asked their CS how to block calls and they said I need an App, but were not allowed to recommend any.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You said google play.... So that should make it a Samsung type phone. Call block is in your setting.
Not Samsung, but it came with Google Play App. Which I have NOT tried to use. As I said I am a smart phone "newbie"

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
I guess I should have posted the phone model :hide:

It's a Motorola MOTO E 2nd GEN.

Recent Calls; only option I see is "Call back" or Delete. I think Delete only deletes the record of the missed call.

Carrier is Consumer Cellular. I asked their CS how to block calls and they said I need an App, but were not allowed to recommend any.

Heh. Ok. You just happened to have picked up one of the few phones out there that don't have built-in call blocking. Did you go searching for that when you were looking? :laugh:

There is a very popular app called "Mr Number Block" you can download from the Google Play Store. The app itself is free but they pester you with some advertising within the app every now and then.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Not Samsung, but it came with Google Play App. Which I have NOT tried to use. As I said I am a smart phone "newbie"
When you set up the phone, it should have had you input a Google account/password combo. This will give you access to the Play store where it will allow you to access and download applications. Tapping on the icon on the phone will launch it, and you can then search to find apps.

The link I posted above mentions a specific app for blocking callers. I've never heard of it, so I've never used it. But, it is from a reputable site and should be at least looking at.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heh. Ok. You just happened to have picked up one of the few phones out there that don't have built-in call blocking. Did you go searching for that when you were looking? :laugh:

There is a very popular app called "Mr Number Block" you can download from the Google Play Store. The app itself is free but they pester you with some advertising within the app every now and then.
I asked my kids which phone to buy :hide: Since I knew/know nothing about smart phones :laugh: It was their pick.

I hate to admit it, but at first I could not even answer it :dunno: :banghead::banghead:. I thought you had to "tap" it :banghead:. It would not answer :banghead:. I thought my finger was not a "phone friendly" finger :dunno: :nunu: Later ,my kids told me "swipe right" to answer :hide:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts