Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I tried to tow my trailer last week for the first time, and found I could not hook a safety chain to the truck.

The truck is a 2018 Silverado 2500 with what is I believe to be a Class 5 hitch,,,
the hitch uses a 2.5 inch receiver tube, rather than 2 inch.

Here is the issue,,, first a pic of the hitch

The problem is that there is a gusset welded directly behind the hole for the safety chain,,

I have not found any hook small enough to fit through the hole, that is big enough to fit through both holes,,,

Do you have any ideas how to connect a safety chain to this truck??

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I’ve only hauled my one trailer so far, I’ll have to pay attention next time but I think I was able to go threw the side hole and out the front. Don’t know why they can’t make them easier to accept safety chains. My 2014 was just about as bad.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If those 2 holes join can you get a clevis through there?
The holes do join, but, that hole facing the rear is WAY too small for any clevis that is large enough to fit the opening created by the two holes that are at 90 degrees to each other,

I am thinking about getting out my torch, and making a "S" hook out of one inch solid steel round stock.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found these pics on trailer towing sites.
These should work, as long as the correct capacity it used.

The first pic shows the clevis, that I believe will block the hole for the 5/8" pin that holds the hitch in,,,
I tried the quick link like the second pic,,
the quick link only opens to 1/2", I need at least 3/4 inch.

Maybe I can find a 3/4" quick link somewhere? that would open to 3/4",, I believe,,,

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Just a thought...............

Make a link out of flat-bar, to use as an extension.

Or, locate the correct size and capacity lift-links to attach(bolt) through the existing holes?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Will a chain without a hook go through the two holes then use a quick link to connect back to the chain??

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Well, it is obvious that designer has never towed anything.

Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it is obvious that designer has never towed anything.

Dave
The FIRST rule in using something like this is to use items that do not get lost during the 6 months between uses,,

Big quick links? leave them on the truck, they will be stolen, or rusted,,
take them off,,, now where did I put them,,
leave them on the trailer, they will be rusted,,,

Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The FIRST rule in using something like this is to use items that do not get lost during the 6 months between uses,,

Big quick links? leave them on the truck, they will be stolen, or rusted,,
take them off,,, now where did I put them,,
leave them on the trailer, they will be rusted,,,

Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,
Buy stainless steel quick links, coat threads with anti seize, leave on truck. I've never had mine stolen in 5 years...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Apparently this is an issue that people have been discussing for some time. The folks at eTrailer suggest you loop a 12" safety cable extension through the holes and then attach your chain hooks to those.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-910648-12.html

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
Apparently this is an issue that people have been discussing for some time. The folks at eTrailer suggest you loop a 12" safety cable extension through the holes and then attach your chain hooks to those.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-910648-12.html

That’s a great solution. But...I would be pissed at having to spend $37+ because the hitch was designed the way it is.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 2017 2500HD GMC has the same receiver, and I experience the frustrations with the holes in the receiver and tried all of the suggestions folks have already posted. I just didn't find any of them to be to my liking, although they did work.

So, I resorted to changing the wire cables and hooks on my horse trailer to safety chains with G70 snap hooks. I'm happy with the setup now.

Plus, there's nothing attached to the truck that might disappear. All the mods are to the trailer. BTW, I had 2 wheel center covers disappear in my local Tractor Supply parking lot a few weeks ago. And an 8 inch drop[ hitch and ball at Lowe's last year.

IMG-0865.jpg IMG-0866.jpg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2017 2500HD GMC has the same receiver, and I experience the frustrations with the holes in the receiver and tried all of the suggestions folks have already posted. I just didn't find any of them to be to my liking, although they did work.

So, I resorted to changing the wire cables and hooks on my horse trailer to safety chains with G70 snap hooks. I'm happy with the setup now.

Plus, there's nothing attached to the truck that might disappear. All the mods are to the trailer. BTW, I had 2 wheel center covers disappear in my local Tractor Supply parking lot a few weeks ago. And an 8 inch drop[ hitch and ball at Lowe's last year.
That hook looks exactly like the hook on my safety cable,,, :dunno:
I may have to try that hook again,,

I checked my local Tractor Supply,,, the biggest hook of that type they stock (per the computer) is 1/4"
TSC calls it a "slip hook", I will have to drive 19 miles to the other TSC if I want to try that hook,,,:banghead:

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts

That is the exact same way the my trailer chains hook to my 2015 2500HD.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Same TSC experience. My closest TSC had just a single one in stock. The one another 20 miles away had them stocked. But since I could wait the 2 days for home delivery, I used Amazon Prime and just ordered them on line.

These days, with Amazon Prime, before buying almost anything like these hooks, I factor in the cost of the fuel I'd burn to drive to the store, and the degree of urgency for the item. If I'll break even I usually just order on line. The Amazon hooks were around $3.00 more, but I'd have spent $9.00 in fuel to drive to pick the cheaper TSC ones up. And, sometimes on line, there's no sales tax, although it looks like this may be changing soon.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That is exactly what I had to do. except I have both items on mine. I find there are some hooks that are really small. Then I use the clevis shown.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
That is the exact same way the my trailer chains hook to my 2015 2500HD.
I had to get some pictures....

Our 3/8” Twist Lock Slip Hook on the left, and a 5/16” one on the right.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts