Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is what I need. I want to give my sister a present because she got a house with a small yard and she wants to turn that yard into a playground for her kids, but she wants to maintain it herself. So, I need a trimmer which is easy to use and simple to handle. Preferably with telescopic shaft. I tried to look for one online and I have found million sites like weedeaterhero.com whcih aren't bad, because I decided to go with electric one, not gas one. So, actually I was thinking of Greenworks trimmer, what do you think? is it ok or is it some cheap low-quality tool that will break too quickly?

·
Registered
934 Posts
That is what I need. I want to give my sister a present because she got a house with a small yard and she wants to turn that yard into a playground for her kids, but she wants to maintain it herself. So, I need a trimmer which is easy to use and simple to handle. Preferably with telescopic shaft.
My mother-in-law bought a corded Black & Decker string trimmer at Home Depot (~$50). I use it when I visit her. It's surprisingly powerful and not too heavy. I'm not sure I understand the need for a telescoping shaft. That will probably add weight and cost.
(I had a Weedeater ultralight about 20 years ago. The spark plug socket broke and it lost compression. Very cheaply made, at least back then.)

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
You get what you pay for - period. In order of quality - Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna. There are many more but I would stay away from all the big box store ones. Buy a quality unit from a reputable servicing dealer.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Mom has a Dewalt battery powered trimmer. She maintains the cemetery grounds so it gets used weekly around hundreds of headstones and trees, for 3 or 4 years now, as well as the trimming around the farm. No issues, she loves it.
Had a Craftsman before, was ok but the batteries sucked.
I had a black and decker when I lived in town, wasn't impressed.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
My ex-wife has an EGO battery powered mower that she got from Home Depot. It's been two seasons so far and she seems pretty happy with it. She also bought the trimmer that uses the same battery. Also happy with it.

The only "complaint" is that it doesn't have enough charge to mow her entire lawn. So, she mows the back, takes a break while the batteries recharge, and then mows the front. She doesn't mind it, but that would drive me crazy!

If she was to be in the market again for one of these, I'd probably push her towards the Stihl line of battery operated lawn equipment. Not too much more money, but the repair/warranty support is probably a LOT better.

We do have one local, long-time mower shop that sells the EGO line of equipment. This shop was already a fixture in the lawn equipment business back when I worked on mowers in the early 80's, so the fact that they think enough of this line says a lot to me about the potential quality.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I had a B&D trimmer that never performed very well. I threw it away and bought a Milwaukee M18 cordless trimmer last year. This is a professional heavy duty trimmer that has nearly the same capabilities as a heavy duty gas trimmer. I highly recommend this trimmer. Expensive, but this is one time you really do get what you pay for. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Kit-with-9-0Ah-Battery-and-Rapid-Charger-2725-21HD/300272796?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CVF%7CD59%7C23-16_GARAGE/GENERAL+ORGANIZE%7CNA%7CPLA%7CStorage_Garage_Smart_Test%7c71700000046870082%7c58700004743231957%7c92700040279481705&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl8riuNaG4AIVAihpCh2BPgBaEAQYASABEgIBAPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dave

trimmer.jpg

Reactions: arlen and fdmars

·
Registered
934 Posts
You get what you pay for - period. In order of quality - Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna. There are many more but I would stay away from all the big box store ones. Buy a quality unit from a reputable servicing dealer.
I didn't even realize those folks made corded trimmers (my stuff is all Stihl gas or battery powered). They're twice the cost of the big box deals, but I agree they'll outlast everything else. If I had lots of money, would get the entre line of Stihl battery powered tools. My extended reach hedge trimmer is fantastic. The only down side is that Stihl uses three incompatible battery profiles for the homeowner (AI, AK), prosumer & pro (AP, AR) devices.

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
I didn't even realize those folks made corded trimmers (my stuff is all Stihl gas or battery powered). They're twice the cost of the big box deals, but I agree they'll outlast everything else. If I had lots of money, would get the entre line of Stihl battery powered tools. My extended reach hedge trimmer is fantastic. The only down side is that Stihl uses three incompatible battery profiles for the homeowner (AK), prosumer, (AP) and pro (AR) devices.
I don’t know if they have corded trimmers but they have a whole line of battery products.

STIHL Battery Products | STIHL USA

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
I know most folks don't have much good to say about Black and Decker but I have owned their LST136 40V cordless string trimmer for 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's light weight and the battery lasts forever. I can do all of my trimming which typically takes about 40+ mins and still have battery left. The string spools last forever. A spool of string will last me all summer. No kidding. I bought a 3-pack of pre-wound spools from Amazon for $19 and I still have 2 spools remaining. It has variable speed so if you are trimming delicate grass you can turn the speed down to further conserve battery life. If this trimmer broke tomorrow I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

This trimmer is around $130 on Amazon with battery and charger. I also have one of B&D's 40V hedge trimmers which is the reason I originally bought this particular unit so I could share batteries. But it turned out to be a much better trimmer than first thought.

This isn't a trimmer I would recommend if you are planning to weed wack your fields every week but if you are doing normal yard-type trimming it is hard to beat. I've since given away all my other gas powered trimmers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
Stihl makes good stuff but their battery powered tools are crazy expensive and you typically have to purchase the battery and charger separately.
Good to know - I am still in my initial research stage...

Eventually I will need a trimmer and blower. I want to stick with the same brand/battery. I have a good Stihl dealer in town which is why I am looking at them first.

I would like to look at Echo but the nearest dealer is a 3 hour round trip. I’m not against buying online but I need to see and feel these things in person. I stopped at Lowe’s last year - held each one they had - none of them felt “right” to me. The different brands were so similar....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yep. My wife has the same trimmer and absolutely loves it. Light but still plenty of power to do everything she needs on a single charge.
The best part is now that she has one that is easy to use, I never have to get out the gas trimmer any more.:good2:

I know most folks don't have much good to say about Black and Decker but I have owned their LST136 40V cordless string trimmer for 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's light weight and the battery lasts forever. I can do all of my trimming which typically takes about 40+ mins and still have battery left. The string spools last forever. A spool of string will last me all summer. No kidding. I bought a 3-pack of pre-wound spools from Amazon for $19 and I still have 2 spools remaining. It has variable speed so if you are trimming delicate grass you can turn the speed down to further conserve battery life. If this trimmer broke tomorrow I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

This trimmer is around $130 on Amazon with battery and charger. I also have one of B&D's 40V hedge trimmers which is the reason I originally bought this particular unit so I could share batteries. But it turned out to be a much better trimmer than first thought.

This isn't a trimmer I would recommend if you are planning to weed wack your fields every week but if you are doing normal yard-type trimming it is hard to beat. I've since given away all my other gas powered trimmers.

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts

I have the same one. So far no problems. I only have one battery and usually run it until the battery needs to be charged. I wanted to go DeWalt 20v to match my other DeWalt tools, but did not think 20v would be powerfull enough. Same for a cordless chainsaw, I did not think 20v would be powerful enough.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have the same one. So far no problems. I only have one battery and usually run it until the battery needs to be charged. I wanted to go DeWalt 20v to match my other DeWalt tools, but did not think 20v would be powerfull enough. Same for a cordless chainsaw, I did not think 20v would be powerful enough.
20V dewalt is what my mom has. It won't go clear an overgrown pasture, but works great from trimming grass. She trims every mow at the cemetery, and every other/third at the farm.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Premium Member
9,374 Posts
I have the Echo Battery trimmer and Power Unit, which runs, the grass trimmer, pole saw, edger, all of the same heads which fit their gas powered units and all are interchangeable. If you already own the gas unit, the same components fit their battery unit which is 58 volt.

The same batteries fit everything from the lawnmower to the chain saw to the leaf blower. They even have a snow blower unit, although I haven't seen it myself. I have run the edger on the battery unit and it did the entire length of the driveway, both sides and the 80 foot curved front sidewalk. Actually, I have never had enough of a single project to drain a fully charged battery. I used the chainsaw which is also battery powered and it made 35 cuts through a 6" log and was still going when I ran out of things to cut.

These are so good, I don't see much of a future in the 2 stroke tool market........

The charger is very high quality and has a blower fan built into it for cooling while charging. The price on the tools is comparable to the gas tools, but never have to mess with gas again.

You can buy the tools with either the battery, the battery and charger or the tool by itself with no charger or battery. You select. These are also sold and serviced by dealers, which is very handy.

Echo's batteries have a 5 year warranty

Home | ECHOCordless.com

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
The 40V system makes a HUGE difference. I have one of their 20V pole saws and the neighbor has the 20V version of the string trimmer. The power and battery life is nowhere near that of the 40V.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the Echo Battery trimmer and Power Unit, which runs, the grass trimmer, pole saw, edger, all of the same heads which fit their gas powered units and all are interchangeable. If you already own the gas unit, the same components fit their battery unit which is 58 volt.

The same batteries fit everything from the lawnmower to the chain saw to the leaf blower. They even have a snow blower unit, although I haven't seen it myself. I have run the edger on the battery unit and it did the entire length of the driveway, both sides and the 80 foot curved front sidewalk. Actually, I have never had enough of a single project to drain a fully charged battery. I used the chainsaw which is also battery powered and it made 35 cuts through a 6" log and was still going when I ran out of things to cut.

These are so good, I don't see much of a future in the 2 stroke tool market........

The charger is very high quality and has a blower fan built into it for cooling while charging. The price on the tools is comparable to the gas tools, but never have to mess with gas again.

You can buy the tools with either the battery, the battery and charger or the tool by itself with no charger or battery. You select. These are also sold and serviced by dealers, which is very handy.

Echo's batteries have a 5 year warranty

Home | ECHOCordless.com
Like Sulley, I have the Echo battery stuff as well. (trimmer, blower, chainsaw). They work really well and I have been very impressed but I had no idea that I could use the gas accessories with it so thanks for this info Sulley. I emailed ECHO about an edger and they told me there was not an option...go figure

·
Registered
700 Posts
Echo 58V cordless trimmer. Done.

Just to clarify, as of MY2019, Echo has removed the individual attachment system (they call it PAS) from the cordless trimmer head. The jointed connection is still there, But there is no way to have a quick-connect system without serious alteration.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We have a Stihl FSA 85 and it has been awesom. Stihl has three families from occasional use to pro. I bought pro level since they have a ton of stuff compatible with the AP series battery including the highest rated battery chain saw. They have blowers, pole saws, cut off saws, and even mowers. We get about an hour on a charge with the trimmer but they even have backpack battery packs to get over 7hr runtime.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
We have a Stihl FSA 85 and it has been awesom. Stihl has three families from occasional use to pro. I bought pro level since they have a ton of stuff compatible with the AP series battery including the highest rated battery chain saw. They have blowers, pole saws, cut off saws, and even mowers. We get about an hour on a charge with the trimmer but they even have backpack battery packs to get over 7hr runtime.
This is exactly why I think Stihl is crazy with the prices on their battery powered equipment. $900 for the backpack battery and it doesn't even come with a charger. They want another $140 for the charger.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts