Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning I was about the drive through a 4-way stop intersection. As I was approaching the intersection I could see something sitting right smack in the middle of it. It turned out to be a 5 gallon tool bucket, complete with a nice liner and full of a bunch of tools - probably fell out of the back of some guy's truck. People were just driving around it so I stopped and picked up all the stuff. It turns out there was even a receipt in the road for a couple of small tools that were in the bucket. He'd just been at the hardware store.

The intersection was in an area where two different local jurisdictions basically come together. One my way home I stopped by the police station for one of the jurisdictions and left my name and phone number with a police officer in case someone called about the tools. Once home, I called the other PD and left the same info. I also placed an ad in 3 different sections of CraigsList with enough description that the guy who lost them should recognize them, but not enough that someone scamming will be able to answer questions about what I found. I also checked CL this morning for any "Lost" ads.

This all took place on Wednesday morning and as of yet I haven't had anyone reply to CL or any calls from the PD. Does anyone have any other ideas for anything else I could do to contact the rightful owner? Going to the hardware store with the tool receipt won't do any good as it was a cash purchase and no "rewards ID" or anything else identifying on it. And the store is large/impersonal enough that even if they had surveillance, chances are that no one would recognize the customer. Also, no initials or name marked on any of the tools that I pulled out of the bucket.

Maybe I should just go through the entire tool bucket and add it to my collection? :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
First off, good for you for trying to do the right thing. :thumbup1gif:

Two, it sounds like you've gone through multiple steps to try and help the original owner recover their property. I don't know what the appropriate time frame is, (maybe a few weeks?) but once that is reached, I would say finder keepers.

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
I think you have done a good job so far. I was going to suggest going to the hardware store and maybe they would recognize the purchase and it might be one of their regular customers, but that seems like it won't work. Any local newspapers you could put an ad in? Otherwise, I would just sit tight for a while before adding it to my tool collection. It's kind of sad that in today's world, the poor person who lost them probably figures they were scarfed up and nobody would try to do what you are doing. Kudos to you.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The hardware store might have video of the guy making the purchase and might even have video of his truck. If you can get a plate number you can give that to the police and they can contact him. The police can't give you his name or address in case you are a crazy stalker.

Otherwise after about 30 days they are likely yours. Thanks for trying, I'd be sick if I lost my tools.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Sounds like you tried your best to do the right thing. IMO ,if no replies in 2-3 weeks you have some new tools.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
You made a 'Good Faith' effort and I'm sure karma will catch up to you. I agree - in 30-60 days they are yours.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
You are a good man! I had an empty gas can, one of the old ones without all that bs air pollution stuff fall out of my truck and went back a minute later to pick it up and gone. I know who got it but can't prove it. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
I live near several lakes. In the summer you can find life jackets along the road that blow out of boats. Once I found a boat gas tank in the road. I stopped and moved it off the road. Next day it was gone. Don't know if owner got it or not. :dunno:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Local paper. What you've done...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS for the replies!! If I get a chance this week, I'll stop by the store. I'm not holding out much hope for that as it's a big box store. I don't think there's much of a chance that they'll recognize the person. Not sure how good their parking lot cameras are to capture a license number. As I mentioned earlier (I think), the guy paid cash for the tools so they can't run the credit card transaction either.

I did try to put a free, online lost and found ad in our "metro paper" and their website keeps timing out. I've tried using both IE and Chrome and I'm getting the same problem. I'll try again later to do it. In the meantime, I also tried checking their online ads and when I browse through their classifieds website, there are NO lost and found ads, in spite of the page heading saying you're in the lost and found section. Sheesh!! No wonder this paper's circulation is so far down!! The suburban paper has a super small circulation and they charge for the ads, so I'm going to pass on that. I'll check the ads in the paper over the next couple of weeks.

Still no reply to my CL ad. Honestly, I was expecting a scammer or two to try and claim the tools. I also just checked and still no "Lost" ads on CL.

So, in 30 days, I think I've got some tools. If/when that time comes, I'll post up what's in the bucket.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Don't need to recognize him, just need to see the bucket in the back of the truck and get a partial plate off it. 2-3 digits and a make/model is all it takes to track down someone through the PD.

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
So, in 30 days, I think I've got some tools. If/when that time comes, I'll post up what's in the bucket.
You have done a great job of trying to reunite the tools with their owner. One of the things that bothers me about someone losing their tools or having them stolen is that in today's world, so few people actually work for a living and the tools are likely important to the guys or gals livelihood. I have the utmost respect for ANYONE in any occupation who works hard, does their level best and treats others fairly and honestly. It's just sad that these people are diminishing in number...........

Is there anyway any of the tools in the bucket are unique enough to point you to a particular industry? For example, if there were carpet stretching / install tools in the bucket, there would be a reasonable shot someone at the big box store might know a carpet installer who lost their tools. (also might apply to any other profession) I do think that letting the big box store tool department manager or workers know and maybe posting a picture of the bucket without all of the tools showing "FOUND" at the store may just link the owner back to their possessions because they likely have to replace these tools, maybe at the big box store since they bought there before.........Definitely talk to the people working in the tool department as they might surprise you.

I am very surprised no scammers have tried to latch onto those tools through Craigslist. While I use Craigslist from time to time, it certainly can be a weirdo magnet at times.......

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tools are just general, run of the mill collection. Power screwdriver, tape measure, hammer, vice grips, screwdrivers, etc. The new tools (totaling less than $20) were tile related. I'm thinking the guy is a general handy man.

I'm trying to make the time to get over to the store that the receipt is from. The store is about a 30 minute each way trip. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of an upgrade project right now that cuts over this weekend so I've been working 18 hour days for the last couple of weeks getting everything ready. I do like your idea of posting a picture of the empty bucket at the store. Maybe they'll do something like that. If nothing else, I will call the store today and talk to the manager to see if he's heard anything from any of his employees about someone losing their tools.

Like you, I'm surprised that no scammers have contacted me. I've also checked CL and there's no "Lost tools" ad. Something else that's interesting is the surprisingly low number of Lost and Found ads on CL. I wonder if people are doing more of this on other social media sites. I don't Facebook, so I'm not going to post something there.

THANKS again to everyone for their input. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts