Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time for some new loppers. I broke mine :flag_of_truce:

Please recommend some HD ones. I bought my wife "MasterCraft" brand from Menards. Yes they were cheap, but I did not think she could hurt them. With only her using them, the blade failed, the cutting edge was "rolling over". I returned them, (Life time warranty) asked if I could, upgrade, buy something better, "no, but here's another pair, no charge"

I then bought her some FISKARS, model L5525 compound loppers, and tossed the MasterCraft loppers.

So I am looking for something HD! I really don't see a need for compound action for me.

I think I got my :gizmo: worth out them

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
There's another option -- cheap enough to be replaceable. After the hinge pin hole wore out on my old loppers (I sometimes cut 1.5" stuff!) I looked at several $30-$50 more durable options. Many of the handles opened too wide to be used in tight quarters. I ended up with a $8 pair from Walmart that I expected to replace every other year. So far, they've done as well as everything else. I just have to sharpen them annually. I'll look for expensive ones in a few years when I need better leverage.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to go cheap and have to buy better. I tried that for my wife. :flag_of_truce:
I'd rather buy once, even if spending more, than buy twice and spend more yet. :gizmo:

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
If you want professional quality, like used in an orchard setting and will last forever, here you go............not cheap, but good.....made in Japan.

https://www.amazon.com/ARS-LPB-30M-Orchard-Lopper/dp/B00HWWUYYG/ref=asc_df_B00HWWUYYG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167139575215&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3618712926445755140&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017334&hvtargid=pla-306024103328&psc=1

P.S. according to all of the latest maps, it looks like you are going to be shoveling Xavier or whatever this winter storm is called, and hopefully, I am NOT......

I put the plow away just earlier this past week and I will be darned if I am going to move all of the stuff in the barn to get to it again before next late October.......it will have to melt anyways, right?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I was at the local Stihl dealer one day,, they had that lopper on sale half off,,
Stihl makes some super loppers,,,

My wife loves it!! but,, it does not fit my hands,,,:dunno:

:laugh:

·
Registered
193 Posts
My mother has used a pair of Stihl loppers for approx. 8 years now. She finally wore out the rubber cushion stopper and our Deere dealer got parts for her. They are very sharp, with long handles. She really likes them, and trims her whole yard full of trees with them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have two pairs of the Fiskars power gear loppers. The first set I bought has the aluminum handles. After the blade wore out I bought another set and didn't pay attention to them having steel handles. The aluminum version is much nicer to use. I just discovered they sell replacement blades so I see me ordering a new blade for the first pair.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm all in on the Fiskars.

Have 1 pair of loppers over 18 years old. Steel handle. Good for 1"+ branches. Has been abused it's entire life. Cutters have been jammed into the ground in an attempt to chop back this damn buck thorn that grows like crazy around here.

2nd loppers are the aluminum handled model which is 5 years old now. Look very similar to the ones SB suggested at less than half the price.

Also....2 extendable tree pruners. One about 18 years old and still going. The other is the saw blade only model which is 8 years old and still like new.

Oh, and in the house I use Fiskars scissors and heavy duty cutter for opening blister packs.

Come to think of it, the hand grass trimmers and small garden hand tools are all Fiskars.

Never tried the shovels yet but need to try that axe out!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I personally like this style lopper??!!!

Just sayin!! :laugh::laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
These are the ones I use.

I use them hard and a lot, often sticking them in the ground to cut the sapling beneath the surface if possible.

fiskars-loppers-391381-1004-64_1000.jpg

If it is bigger than the lopper will handle, I use a cordless reciprocating saw.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If it is bigger than the lopper will handle, I use a cordless reciprocating saw.
If it's in the dirt, I go with the cordless recip too, but airborne I usually prefer my cordless or my electric chainsaws for too-big-for-lopper usage. I try to keep my prized ratchet lopper out of the dirt, so will occasionally use the older scissor or anvil loppers there.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
If it's in the dirt, I go with the cordless recip too, but airborne I usually prefer my cordless or my electric chainsaws for too-big-for-lopper usage. I try to keep my prized ratchet lopper out of the dirt, so will occasionally use the older scissor or anvil loppers there.
Agreed.

I don't do much pruning.

I am clearing an overgrowth of sweetgum and briars.

In my opinion, the Fiskar loppers are pretty good. If they were used (properly) just as loppers, they should last a good while.

The ones I posted have some compound lever action without the gears. My wife prefers the straight hinge type, but she isn't cutting the bigger stuff.

The loppers I am using are over two years old and still cut well.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want professional quality, like used in an orchard setting and will last forever, here you go............not cheap, but good.....made in Japan.

https://www.amazon.com/ARS-LPB-30M-Orchard-Lopper/dp/B00HWWUYYG/ref=asc_df_B00HWWUYYG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167139575215&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3618712926445755140&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017334&hvtargid=pla-306024103328&psc=1

P.S. according to all of the latest maps, it looks like you are going to be shoveling Xavier or whatever this winter storm is called, and hopefully, I am NOT......

I put the plow away just earlier this past week and I will be darned if I am going to move all of the stuff in the barn to get to it again before next late October.......it will have to melt anyways, right?
You're right, not cheap, but cheaper the FELCO that AMAZON showed also.
We got a "dusting" of snow, wet, more like ice crystals than snow. All melted away now!!

I was at the local Stihl dealer one day,, they had that lopper on sale half off,,
Stihl makes some super loppers,,,

My wife loves it!! but,, it does not fit my hands,,,:dunno:

:laugh:
I did not know Stihl made loppers, or are you hinting a chainsaw? :dunno: If they really make loppers, what was 1/2 price? I would Stihl would be top quality.

I personally like this style lopper??!!!

Just sayin!! :laugh::laugh:
I think this is what CADplans was saying :dunno: I have several chainsaws, but I normally keep loppers in the box of the Mule to trim trails as branches or worse yet prickers invade the trails.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like the most recommendations was for FISKARS
But keep the suggestions coming, I NEED new loppers! :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I did not know Stihl made loppers, or are you hinting a chainsaw? :dunno: If they really make loppers, what was 1/2 price? I would Stihl would be top quality.

I think this is what CADplans was saying :dunno: I have several chainsaws, but I normally keep loppers in the box of the Mule to trim trails as branches or worse yet prickers invade the trails.

Nope, real loppers,, not the most cost effective,,,

here is an example,,,

stihl loppers 24 pl10 heavy duty professional use but only 2.1lbs | eBay

1 - 20 of 45 Posts