Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! We just replaced the starter on our tractor. We also replaced the wiring harness and relay. We got everything back together and fingers crossed tried to start it. Well, it acts like it wants to turn over, but it never does. The battery is good, it's brand new. Do any of you have any ideas? Really starting to get a bit frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
Have you also checked to be sure the engine is not stuck and will turn over? I believe that you can use a socket on the bolt in the front of the engine at the center of the PTO clutch. Does it act like it did with the original starter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you also checked to be sure the engine is not stuck and will turn over? I believe that you can use a socket on the bolt in the front of the engine at the center of the PTO clutch. Does it act like it did with the original starter?
Dad, it turns over but it won't start. I was going to call you but it was way past your bedtime.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Good, the engine is turning over. Your last post made it sound like it was not. Did you check if you have spark?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brian, I should have worded my original post differently. I'm not sure if we are getting spark, I know my husband pulled the plugs last night, he said they didn't look good. I will stop at the dealer and get a new pair today. I won't know if that's the problem until he gets home from work. Just looking for ideas so when he does get home I may be able to lead him in the right direction.

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
Your mechanic is only 20 miles away. It is raining this morning, so no mowing tonight. I can come down and help with the diagnostic tonight if you want.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Even though they are new, did you check if you have spark?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yup you need to check for spark. Have you used ether yet? Remember four things for a four stroke.Air,Fuel,Spark,Timing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's everyone's opinion on starters...new or rebuild the old one. It seems our new starter we bought isn't doing the trick. Didn't buy the one from John Deere for $565, bought a different one that they recommended.

Dad, I don't know if I said that all correctly, so when you read this, if it needs tobe explained better maybe you could do it

Thanks y'all!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I had the starter on my 318 replaced last summer. Instead of the $500-ish Deere one, the Deere dealer suggested a $250 one that was a direct replacement from Mitsubishi (??? i think....) It has worked fine. So there is an aftermarket starter that will fit and work. I had the dealer replace it because I had heard it was not any easy fit, and indeed at the dealer they had to delay a day or so until the one guy that could make it happen was able to work on it.

The new non-Deere start turns faster that the old one, but I don't know if that's because the old one was, well, old. It took a bit for me to find the new "Sweet spot" of fuel and choke to have it start quickly.

Best of luck getting it going!

Pete

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
What's everyone's opinion on starters...new or rebuild the old one. It seems our new starter we bought isn't doing the trick. Didn't buy the one from John Deere for $565, bought a different one that they recommended.

Dad, I don't know if I said that all correctly, so when you read this, if it needs tobe explained better maybe you could do it

Thanks y'all!
I just put an aftermarket I found online on my 316 last August. No way,I was going to pay that ridiculous JD price. I think it was in the neighborhood of 180.00. Fit perfect and works like a charm.

Greg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, this is where we're at. Took the starter out, the after market one, and took it to the dealer. They checked it and said it seems to be working. They said it may be a wiring problem. So my husband will have to put the starter back in and dad and I will take it to the dealers on Monday so they can test it on the tractor. We replaced the relay and wiring harness at the same time as the starter. We do have spark. So, hopefullywith some new eyes on it on Monday they will figure this out. My hair is turning white by the minute. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
We have spark! Great.

Now try to put a small amount of fuel in the cylender and put the plug back on and see if you get it to fire a few times. If you do, it could be a fuel delivery problem. If it still will not fire, it could be a timing issue. But ussually with a timing issue you get backfire.

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
So, here is the latest from Dad, the supposed mechanic. There is spark to both spark plugs. Fuel is getting to the carburetor. My next thought was also to put fuel in the cylinders. For some reason, the new starter worked OK, but then after a few tries, the drive failed to engage the ring gear. Electrical is not my strongest suit, by any means. Plus, my hair is already white, so I think Monday, we will load it on the trailer and take it to the dealer. My daughter can cut her grass with my tractor, the dealer will fix the 318 and hopefully it will be good for another 25 years. Thanks to all of you guys who chimed in on this. We appreciate your help. One of us will post the results after we get the tractor repaired and working again.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I'm a little late on this thread. Your diagnosis looks good. Sure sounds like a timing or compression issue. I'm leaning toward an advanced timing situation.

P.S. I read DR's profile. Pretty impressive, Master Sargent.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
Thanks Kevin. I thought about timing also, but there is no backfire or indication that the timing is off. I bought this tractor new in 1986 and it has always been a hard starter. To start it, you need to close the choke, set the throttle at half, crank it for a couple seconds, open the choke and it will start. It runs very well when it operates, no excessive oil consumption, plenty of horsepower, no problems until now. I think it has just under 1200 hours on it. We will fix it. When I relegated the 318 to number two, one of the big selling points for the 445 was fuel injection. I am not a big fan of carburetors, unless it is a Carter AFB on a small block Chevy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We dropped the tractor off at the dealers. They won't even be able to look at it for 2 weeks. Thank God dad brought his tractor down yesterday and I got the lawn mowed. I loved being able to listen to the radio, but boy do I miss my 318! Will get back to everyone when we know more! Happy mowing!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts