Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 825I Gator was delivered yesterday morning. I have been reading the online manual. I was surprised that the manual does not address the actual driving. The delivery man went over the operation of Gator with me. He stated that to drive it, just put it in gear & step on the gas pedal. Yesterday evening, I took it for a short drive in a field behind our house.
The ground was mostly flat, I had the Gator in high gear. The tac was showing over 3900 rpms, but the highest speed it would go is 11mph.

Is there a problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
My new 825I Gator was delivered yesterday morning. I have been reading the online manual. I was surprised that the manual does not address the actual driving. The delivery man went over the operation of Gator with me. He stated that to drive it, just put it in gear & step on the gas pedal. Yesterday evening, I took it for a short drive in a field behind our house.
The ground was mostly flat, I had the Gator in high gear. The tac was showing over 3900 rpms, but the highest speed it would go is 11mph.

Is there a problem, or am I doing something wrong?
Sounds like maybe your centrifugal clutch is not closing. As the RPM's go up-the two clutch plates should move together to increase the effective diameter of that clutch/pulley to increase the speed. If your not familiar with centrifugal clutches google on John Deere Gator 825i clutch illustrations and you will see some pretty good pictures of the clutch and understand how it's supposed to work. In your case at first glance it sounds like the belt is stuck at the lowest diameter position on the clutch, therefore not getting up to speed. Do you feel like the engine is over revving? or smell a burning rubber smell? Definitely a dealer issue on a new machine. I'd get it back to them. Good Luck!

P.S.-I'm a novice-just learning about the mechanicals as we are getting our 550 clutch worked on at the dealer. But I am familiar with this technology. I used to race snowmobiles in the 70's and clutch tuning with different weights/spring mechanisms was part of the process.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Call the dealer, maybe they installed a speed limiter.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yup, there is a HI-Lo range. Straight from the OM. See item 3.

Using Travel Controls 1. Stop machine.
2. Allow engine to come to a low idle speed.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not shift gears when vehicle is moving or with engine running above low idle speed. Push down brake to stop vehicle motion and engage shift lever with a firm positive action.
Gears may grind when shifting if engine idle speed is set higher than factory specification.

NOTE: Always shift into low range when operating on wet or uneven terrain, or when towing or pushing heavy loads.

MX44645, M162390
3. Select a gear position:
• Forward - Push shift lever (A) forward to either high (B) or low (C) range.
• Reverse - Push shift lever to left, then pull rearward to reverse (D) gear.
4. Look in the direction the vehicle will travel.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Reduce speed before braking or turning, when hauling loads, and while operating around obstacles or on hazardous off-road conditions.
5. Push down accelerator pedal (E) slowly and smoothly to begin machine travel.
6. Release accelerator and apply brake pedal (F) evenly and firmly to slow down or stop.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
ChrisR stated he had it in high gear. "I had the Gator in high gear"

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Why, so he did. Sorry, I missed it. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
But, did he have it in "High" - High gear? :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,835 Posts
This seems to be a known issue with the 825i. I ran across this from over at gatorforums.net

I purchased a new 825i 2 months ago and noticed that the clutch did not engage until the motor hit nearly 2700 rpm and would be about 3000 rpm going 3 mph.
He's got a "solution" but... seems like a lot to do to a brand new machine to me.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of the replies. I did have the shifter in the high position. I did smell things were hot, but I just took it as it being new. It had less than an hour on the meter. I just wanted to make sure it was not normal, or if I was doing something wrong before calling the service department.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you for all of the replies. I did have the shifter in the high position. I did smell things were hot, but I just took it as it being new. It had less than an hour on the meter. I just wanted to make sure it was not normal, or if I was doing something wrong before calling the service department.
It's always a bit dis-concerting to have something like this occur with a new machine-but hang in there-it will likely be an easy dealer fix. I imagine that these clutches can "freeze" if they aren't used for a long time-such as a brand new machine that has been transported/sitting in inventory.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You know you are on an excellent forum when the guys ask how it smelled and the OP knows enough to have used all his senses and responds! New equipment does smell strong while everything bakes don't it.
That's a beautiful machine you got, congratulations.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I don't think it's a clutch problem. That engine should rev up alot higher than 3900 rpm. Top engine rpm should be 6150 +/- 25rpm. Make certain the service light on the dash is not on. Under certain conditions the computer will go onto limp mode and cut out #3 cylinder.
As a quick test, put trans in neutral and press the throttle wide open and see what the rpms are.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think it's a clutch problem. That engine should rev up alot higher than 3900 rpm. Top engine rpm should be 6150 +/- 25rpm. Make certain the service light on the dash is not on. Under certain conditions the computer will go onto limp mode and cut out #3 cylinder.
As a quick test, put trans in neutral and press the throttle wide open and see what the rpms are.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I believe it is just me needing to get used to running it. I took the grand kids rides this evening & it seemed to work better. I am just not used to running an engine at that high of RPMs.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I believe it is just me needing to get used to running it. I took the grand kids rides this evening & it seemed to work better. I am just not used to running an engine at that high of RPMs.
I'll bet they really enjoyed the ride. That is such a cool looking vehicle!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mash the vertical skinny pedal on the right to the floor for a bit..unless you are going up a really steep hill .you should top out a 44MPH in High
I had a friend drive my 825i today. He has owned a 625i for several years. his 625i has over 1400 hours on it. He said that my 825i was running as it should.
Now he wants an 825i.

·
Registered
741 Posts
After the first Gator ride with the grandchildren, it's now become a standard "must do" activity when they visit.....usually it's shortly after they arrive. Of course, we take it very easy and ensure their parents are holding them securely. My favorite comments:

* Grandpa, that's a real crazy wild ride!
* That's a really fast car that goes everywhere!
* That car goes up giant mountains!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
After the first Gator ride with the grandchildren, it's now become a standard "must do" activity when they visit.....usually it's shortly after they arrive. Of course, we take it very easy and ensure their parents are holding them securely. My favorite comments:

* Grandpa, that's a real crazy wild ride!
* That's a really fast car that goes everywhere!
* That car goes up giant mountains!
Flat out cool! :good2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts