Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 pin oaks and one red maple that I need to move as this area will be excavated in 2 weeks.

One pin oak is doing well and the other is not. The red oak is also not doing great as they like more acidic ground. I will be moving these trees to more neutral ground but trying to add some compost to the area to help them along.

I moved an austrian pine today that was 2 feet tall by using the bucket to scoop it up. I do not think it was disturbed much, but these are much larger trees. I bought them for $15 each at an end of year sale about 7 years ago and they have not grown much.

The $100 question is can I move these trees around September 15th while they still have leaves, with my tractor bucket, and keep them alive?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
If you really want to save them, call in a tree truck, but if they haven't grown much, I'd see if you can find a similar deal and also try to relocate with your bucket, but I have my doubts they would make it. Roots are also much larger/complex and will be harder to just scoop. Tough call, if they are going to be killed anyway for excavation, give it a go, but if they haven't grown it's not worth the money for a proper tree truck move. I'd move them with the thought that you are going to be searching for a similar deal to what you got before.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I had a similar situation but with two pear trees. When I asked a local nursery, they said get as much of the root system as possible, move them with the roots in dirt as much as possible and after replanted, pour the water to them until frost. I did and they lived.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts