Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently rescued a 320 from the scrap heap. The tractor is i amazing shape with only 670 hours on the meter. It has the Kawasaki 17 HP Motor. A valve broke and trashed one head and piston. Local JD Dealership wants $2700 for a new long block and the parts to fix are about $700. My question is this, does anyone know where I can get a used head or has a used head to sell. I am going to punch both cylinders out 20 thousands, replace both pistons and replace the plastic cam shaft with a steel one but doing a total top down rebuild will cost me about $900. If I can get a used head it would sure cut the costs a bit. Also if anyone has any other recommendations while I am rebuilding this motor that would be awesome. Thank you so much.

Kevin Kaiser

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Unless you do find used parts, your JD dealer is really the only recourse for parts on a Kawasaki engine. JD and Kawasaki have a special agreement and your engine model number will only found at a JD dealer - Kawasaki dealers won't recognize the engine model number. That isn't to say some engine parts interchange, but without knowing what JD engined Kawasaki model number interchanges with a Kawasaki numbers, it would be hard to find what interchanges.

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
You know,you may be better off looking into a drop in replacement engine. I've seen both Briggs and Kaw replacement engines for not much more than you're going to have in rebuilding the original. Nice thing is,they are more HP (24 and 26) than the original too.:)

Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys. I am including the tractor information in this posting in case it might help you determine if there is a crossover model of motor for replacement. I will also check out that website you suggested. I was hoping to keep the tractor original but I guess we will see.

Thanks again,
Kevin

JD320
Serial # M00320X151340
Engine Block #F0590V

1 - 5 of 5 Posts