Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the skid steer bucket for my 400 CX. It has a double wall on top with the walls at different angles. I thought it might be hard to use the bolt on hooks.
Maybe I will go with "Ken's weld on hooks":laugh:. I was wondering if they come in black? Can you make me a set without the holes punched, or do you think I should "plug weld" the holes to the bucket? Do you think it would be better to weld the hooks directly to the bucket without plates. I thought the plates might be easier and stronger:unknown: Finally, do you think 1, 2 or 3 hooks would be best?

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
I essentially did that very thing. I went with Kenny's "weld on hooks" idea. I got some nicely cut plates from him and got my hooks locally. I'm sure he'll either sell you a "kit" or you could just weld his setup as is with no issues. :thumbup1gif:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345040712.874849.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345040757.422701.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345040881.578125.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is exactly what I want to do. What flavor of rod did you use? The welds look nice. You felt the plates were value added as opposed to just welding the hooks to the bucket? Did you get any distortion from welding all the way around the plate? Did you weld the hook on first?

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
Arlen, I am replying from my iPad so I will be somewhat brief:

-plates are recommended to distribute the load better
-my plates are all laser cut in bulk, so I do not have any without holes at this time: hint hint:lol:
-I do not paint them any color, only primered so the user can paint whatever color they prefer.
-you could buy mine without the hardware (email me directly) and plug weld the holes.
-I only have 5/16" hooks for now: hint hint:lol:
-I find three hooks extremely useful.

I can answer in more detail later...

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
That is exactly what I want to do. What flavor of rod did you use? The welds look nice. You felt the plates were value added as opposed to just welding the hooks to the bucket?
Thanks! Shhh, don't tell Kenny, but I used a red MIG welder for this project.:hide: If I were to stick weld it, I would use 1/8" 7018. IMHO the plates are a must, especially for a bigger, more powerful machine such as yours. :good2:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Shhh, don't tell Kenny, but I used a red MIG welder for this project.:hide: If I were to stick weld it, I would use 1/8" 7018. IMHO the plates are a must, especially for a bigger, more powerful machine such as yours. :good2:

Sent using Tapatalk.
LOL. They would be fantastic stick welds, and OK mig welds.:mocking: Just kidding, I haven't did any welding in a couple of years, so those welds are better than anything I'll do:lol:. I forget, is the 7018 good for AC? If not, the old 6011 to the rescue.

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
Regular 7018 will work with AC, just not as smooth.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regular 7018 will work with AC, just not as smooth.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Good, I'll blame my poor quality weld on that. Maybe, I can get my wife to let me buy a DC welder just so I can weld these hooks on:pray:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Some smaller ac welders will not run 7018. This is why they came out with 7018ac.

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
Thanks! Shhh, don't tell Kenny, but I used a red MIG welder for this project.:hide:
Hooks can fall off when red welders are used, it's in the fine print. One day you will walk into your garage and just see them on the floor :empathy:

Seriously, you did a real nice job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts