Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish John Deere uses Tesla business model for SCUT and MCUT.

I like Tesla business model. I can order and customize Tesla car or truck online. Everyone gets the same price. Even I go to Tesla showrooms, I see only cars on display. If I want to order one, there are computers there to order. Recently, I ordered Tesla Cyber truck. It was simple. It even crazier, I ordered $70+k truck and deposited only $100.

I am in a process of acquire a new 2020 John Deere 2038R. There no consistency in pricing between dealer to dealer and I hate to haggle with salesmen. There are no comparisons in experiences in buying a Tesla truck and John Deere tractor. Tesla business model might be future car business model.

I saw CA dealer jacked up 2020 Ford Mustang Cobra GT from $72K to $169K. That is crazy. I know demand and supply but do I really want to pay that much?

What is your thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I contacted local dealers yesterday. If I want 2020 John Deere 2038R with factory-installed FEL, I will get the tractor in July. If 2020 John Deere 2038R with dealer-installed FEL, I will get it in May. Is the 2038R in high demands?

There is no backhoes as factory-installed option, dealer-installed only.

·
Premium Member
13,650 Posts
You mean by restricting sales of parts to individuals? Having to wait years to purchase a vehicle? Having a very limited number of repair centers? Not supplying parts for any vehicle they deem wrecked? No ability to use 3rd party replacement parts?

Just the opposite, Tesla needs to use the same business model as other vehicle manufacturers for which you can walk into any Pep Boys or NAPA and purchase replacement parts.

I do agree that the price should be the price just like with other products. Not where one customer gets shafted and the next gets the deal of a lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
I suspect you'd retract that statement if Deere actually implemented it.

Go walk into 5 different Deere dealerships with the exact 2038R configuration you want and tell all of them that you are willing to pay the full MSRP on it. I'd bet you the cost they'd give you back would be within a few dollars of each other.

That's what you're doing with Tesla.

Deere's dealers are giving you different prices because they (and you) are haggling over the DISCOUNT they are willing to give you off of that MSRP. i"m pretty sure that if you tell them you don't want any discount they'll be happy to oblige.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure that Tesla calls their price as MSRP. So there is no negotiations. Every pays the same price.

Buying car/truck/tractor is the worst experience in my opinion and I am not good at that. I have to spend a lot of time research the price. Get 3-5 quotes from different dealers. I would rather use that time doing something else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree and see where you are coming from (maybe not the entire business model, but at least the ordering process). I also pre-ordered a Cybertruck (and then ordered a model 3). And then I went online and configured a 3R. After going through the online Deere process to configure the tractor I wanted and select all the options and asking for a quote, I then had to recreate all of that with my local dealer to configure the quote. Stuff was missing. He chose the wrong parts (wrong mower and other options that weren't compatible). This part is nuts. If dealers want to compete against each other on pricing, fine. But I should be able to configure it once and then have those dealers give me their prices.

And don't get me started on the Deere dealer installed options....ugh

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I don't think that would be a good idea. I'm ok with the wheeling and dealing aspect of it. I also don't mind paying a little more for the tractor from a dealer I know will bend over backwards to help me find parts, maintenance, and repairs. Helps employ people, wages, and gives me a location to go and look at them that's close by.

If were like Tesla, I'd have to drive to a major city somewhere to look at a showroom of Deere's and "order" online without any input from a salesman of what might be a worthless addition or an awesome addition that I would otherwise not know about. Likely would be 80 percent fewer dealers to cut down on hauling them everywhere just to look at and not be able to buy like Tesla. Many of the salesman at my dealer are also farmers and tractor people. I don't want some suit selling me a tractor.

I for one think it would be a horrible idea. But everyone has a opinion.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Ok, so based on your comments, you are fine paying more than you need to. Great. Tell them that when you order, and you wont have to worry about pricing discrepancies between dealers. Actually, Id think the very first dealer you went to would be fine, as they likely are less than MSRP anyway. No reason to shop around if you are below the price you want to pay.
The rest of us like to get the best deal possible, and don't mind shopping around for it.

As to the dealers vs configuring your options, that's fairly simple.
Configure it online, then print it and take it to the dealer.
There are quite a few options the dealer has that the online configurator doesn't.

It would be an absolute nightmare to order based on that kind of system, and any large company would be forced to limit the number of tractors/vehicles available, let alone the extrordinarily long wait on the tractors, and the lack of parts availability, though Im guessing the folks who dont mind paying MSRP for things also arent doing all of their own maintenance on the tractors/vehicles either, so parts availability is likely very low on the list of necessary items.

Reactions: Herminator and Big

·
Premium Member
13,650 Posts
Buying car/truck/tractor is the worst experience in my opinion and I am not good at that. I have to spend a lot of time research the price. Get 3-5 quotes from different dealers. I would rather use that time doing something else.
I don't know... buying a mattress is a pretty close second. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think I understand the OPs point. Ordering from Tesla is factory direct. Therefore, it is a lot easier for them to have the price be the price. I used to work for a major off-road vehicle manufacture and we were tossing around the idea of going factory direct. Imagine buying a tractor right from the deer website from home and then having it delivered. It cuts about 17% of the price of the tractor out of the MSRP. Remember noone pays MSRP so the price you are paying is the dealer giving you, the customer, his commission. No need to do that when factory direct.

However, for that price the customer is getting someone to fix the machine, stock the parts, and execute the warranty. It likely costs the customer 10% or so above factory pricing to have this service available. Not to mention having to choose a dealer to do business with.

I for one never deal with dealers. I buy everything used and have been lucky enough not to break anything that needs to be brought in to a dealer... ever.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Curious when you're actually going to get that Tesla cyber truck. Order it today, get it in 3 years? Did they give you a build date?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I am not sure that Tesla calls their price as MSRP. So there is no negotiations. Every pays the same price.

Sounds more like you are worried someone else may get a better deal than you. There is no requirement for you to get 3-5 quotes, no reason you cant just walk in and buy from the nearest dealership and spend your time doing something else.

I actually enjoy going to multiple dealerships, speaking with the different people and finding the best fit (not necessarily the best price) for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why don't you build it online, print it out (or God forbid in this day and age, write it down) and then take that to the dealer?
That way there is no question as to what he quotes.

Robot, you are going to wait years for that Tesla truck, yet you are complaining about a few months for the tractor?
Tell you what, just build a tractor on the Deere site print it out with the prices included, take it to any Deere dealer and
tell them this is what you want for the price listed. They will be very happy to sell it to you for that price with zero negotiations.
No haggling, just a clean sale. Easy peasy Japanesey.

Personally, I myself prefer to get the best price and don't mind speaking with someone about it. Then again, I would never
buy a $70,000.00 vehicle, much less a Tesla.

Reactions: Big and DRobinson

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

I like Tesla business model. I can order and customize Tesla car or truck online. Everyone gets the same price. Even I go to Tesla showrooms, I see only cars on display. If I want to order one, there are computers there to order. Recently, I ordered Tesla Cyber truck. It was simple. It even crazier, I ordered $70+k truck and deposited only $100.

I am in a process of acquire a new 2020 John Deere 2038R. There no consistency in pricing between dealer to dealer and I hate to haggle with salesmen. There are no comparisons in experiences in buying a Tesla truck and John Deere tractor. Tesla business model might be future car business model.

I saw CA dealer jacked up 2020 Ford Mustang Cobra GT from $72K to $169K. That is crazy. I know demand and supply but do I really want to pay that much?

What is your thoughts?
Didn't Saturn try that a number of years ago? Where are the now. Oh..............Out of business! Be careful of what you wish for.
Two cents.gif

Reactions: Big and DRobinson

·
Registered
626 Posts
With basically all vehicle manufacturers (car, truck, tractor) they are making up a MSRP knowing that everyone or most everyone will pay way less, so they will inflate its over what they really expect/want to make. So the fact that you can negotiate to a better price is just a planned tactic to make you feel good about your purchase.

Not saying that the Tesla model is cheeper or not, I’m not sure of any examples that would let us really know that.

What if all dealers were forced by the manufacturers to sell the vehicles at the same price, or didn’t actually get involved in the original purchase? Then they would have to complete on parts and service and that would be wonderful for us consumers.

For those complaining about the 2-3 year wait for a Tesla truck, that’s with waiting for production to actually start. Once production is running, you can get your order in a couple weeks to maybe 6 months if you place the order right as production starts. That would be like if Deere offered a preorder wait list for the 1re concept. Yeah you will wait years from now to buy that.

I do agree that Tesla’s parts/service has historically been crap from what I’ve heard. For the couple minor things I’ve had done to my Model 3 it’s been great, but those were minor things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
I think I understand the OPs point. Ordering from Tesla is factory direct. Therefore, it is a lot easier for them to have the price be the price. I used to work for a major off-road vehicle manufacture and we were tossing around the idea of going factory direct. Imagine buying a tractor right from the deer website from home and then having it delivered. It cuts about 17% of the price of the tractor out of the MSRP. Remember noone pays MSRP so the price you are paying is the dealer giving you, the customer, his commission. No need to do that when factory direct.

However, for that price the customer is getting someone to fix the machine, stock the parts, and execute the warranty. It likely costs the customer 10% or so above factory pricing to have this service available. Not to mention having to choose a dealer to do business with.

I for one never deal with dealers. I buy everything used and have been lucky enough not to break anything that needs to be brought in to a dealer... ever.
In this case that buying direct model doesn't quite fit. Tesla's profit margin on their Model 3 is 14% (other models are reported to be as high as 20%.) That's a 5 times higher profit margin than Ford makes on ANY model they sell. Yet Ford haggles on the price they sell cars for.

Tesla isn't doing the "Sell direct at a lower price by cutting out the middleman" thing. They've cut out the middleman, increased the profit margin and said "Take it or leave it!".

·
Registered
626 Posts
In this case that buying direct model doesn't quite fit. Tesla's profit margin on their Model 3 is 14% (other models are reported to be as high as 20%.) That's a 5 times higher profit margin than Ford makes on ANY model they sell. Yet Ford haggles on the price they sell cars for.

Tesla isn't doing the "Sell direct at a lower price by cutting out the middleman" thing. They've cut out the middleman, increased the profit margin and said "Take it or leave it!".
Maybe that’s why Ford is has announced that is is going to stop making cars. Not profitable enough to be worth it. People typically pay higher prices for SUVs and trucks, so their 14% may be enough to scrape by on the higher priced vehicles.

Ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
172 Posts

We all know there is a market price for everything. Yes, Tesla is saying "take it or leave it" at 14% margin but enough people are taking it that they can keep their margins high. Tesla is not at any sort of equilibrium. My brother-in-law always tells me that if Elon Musk's name was Joe Smith, the company would be closed by now.

One way for Deere to do it would be to sell direct on their website and then cut their local dealer a check when they sell from the factory website into a dealers territory. That is just messy and expenseive for Deere though. They would basically be subsidizing their dealers to stay open to do warranty work.

There are tractors sold though big box stores. They seem to have a pretty nice discount compared to deere. Their prices are usually printed in the window and their service and parts support is about like Tesla's...They aren't usually green though...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not to bring politics into the discussion but the OP reminds me heavily of those that keep saying we need to pay more in taxes. There is nothing stopping these people from paying more in taxes, yet they dont because the others arent.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not to bring politics into the discussion but the OP reminds me heavily of those that keep saying we need to pay more in taxes. There is nothing stopping these people from paying more in taxes, yet they dont because the others arent.
Actually that's wrong. You actually can't pay more in taxes. I know this because I pay more in taxes than I need to every paycheck/year and they just give some of it back. There's no like...bank account I can just give it to. I could donate it, but that's not the same as paying more taxes strawman.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts