Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday we had almost a full day off and on of freezing rain, graupel, sleet. Ice built up on our oak trees and now I must have 100+ limbs down, trees split in half, a large leaning live oak is now on the ground. More freezing rain tonight, tomorrow. Snow Sunday and single digit temps. Several friends have lost power and our power co-op is estimating 5 days for full power restoration. So far we have power but lots of flickering yesterday. I have the Honda EU7000i ready to deploy and about 10 gallons of fresh gas available.

And for extra measure there's another storm system due in Tuesday night. Sigh. I'm going to have a huge mess to clean up, ironically the grapple is on the tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Thursday we had almost a full day off and on of freezing rain, graupel, sleet. Ice built up on our oak trees and now I must have 100+ limbs down, trees split in half, a large leaning live oak is now on the ground. More freezing rain tonight, tomorrow. Snow Sunday and single digit temps. Several friends have lost power and our power co-op is estimating 5 days for full power restoration. So far we have power but lots of flickering yesterday. I have the Honda EU7000i ready to deploy and about 10 gallons of fresh gas available.

And for extra measure there's another storm system due in Tuesday night. Sigh. I'm going to have a huge mess to clean up, ironically the grapple is on the tractor.
Just remember, trees are trees, and YOU are ok. Thank God. Take your time, don’t get hurt. Those limbs ain’t going anywhere.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Wow. What a mess. Lucky nothing landed on your home. Stay safe. Just take your time it'll get done. Hope everything goes well for you and your family.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Several months ago I trimmed every limb that was close to the house, glad I was worried and acted on it when the weather was good (y) . This reminds me of dealing with hurricanes when we lived in central Florida, that's why we moved. Hurricanes - ice storms. Similar damage without the wind LOL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We had about 2" of thunder sleet here in Arkansas early Thursday morning. 4-8" of snow forecast for next week and temps won't reach freezing until next Thursday. I'm ready for this to be over. Cold and freezing precip is for the our friends up north that are better prepared for it but I'm about as ready as I can get!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 0500 hours yesterday we had thunder and freezing rain/sleet, thunder is pretty unusual in the winter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah it came through here between 2 & 3 am. I never woke up but caught the action on my security cameras the next morning. Thankful that is was all sleet rather than freezing rain. Our electric co-op usually takes 6-7 days to get the power back on.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
About 0500 hours yesterday we had thunder and freezing rain/sleet, thunder is pretty unusual in the winter.
we have had thunder snow here a few times-kinda scary in some ways. be careful and i hope noones power goes off.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts

Yep, every time we've had thunder and lighting in the winter months , we end up with a bad situation. Either sleet, freezing rain, major amount of snow. , Never good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unfortunately, this winter weather in the new normal due to climate change. It is only going to get worse next year and the years after. IMO

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, this winter weather in the new normal due to climate change. It is only going to get worse next year and the years after. IMO
The climate has been changing for thousands of years 🙂

·
Registered
13,083 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hate to hear about your trees John. Hope y’all don’t lose power.

I been getting all the pipes ready here in the “tropics” of Galveston County. Got a heater setup in the pump house.
We’re supposed to have over 35 continuous hours below freezing. Worst in 122 yrs.

Rode the motorcycle up to the fishin camp couple days ago to cut the water off and drain pipes.

Afraid there’s going to be more widespread major damage by next Wednesday.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Sorry to hear you got the ice. I hate ice. I'll take snow, sleet etc. over ice. We've been there and done that with a fierce but fortunately somewhat localized ice storm that took out almost every power pole between us and the main road, almost two miles.

My neighbor ran his tracked loader on the road to push trees out and the power company had to bring in a sno-cat with a bucket. I was helping cut a neighbors road out and a tree sprung slightly, (all of them were under tension). Normally it wouldn't have been a big deal but there was so much ice on the ground that I slid on my backside for ten feet or so holding a running chainsaw. Fortunately, I kept control of the saw but it shook me up some. It got to the point that the first thing to do when cutting a tree was to make a cut to throw sawdust down to stand on.

If you don't need to cut the trees to move around, wait until things thaw. They are going to be under a lot of tension and some of that will release as the ice melts plus you will have better footing. If you burn wood, ashes are a good thing on the ice. They seem to provide as much or more traction than sand or kittly litter.

We are supposed to get ice here the next 3-4 days. I'll put a tarp down outside our basement door which will make it easier to have a dry spot to step out on. The chainsaws are sharp, grapple in the tractor but the bucket with a Piranha bar is nearby.

Ice sucks. The only good thing I can say is that it's pretty as long as you don't have to step outside and the power stays on.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
We have had sub zero wind chills down to -22 for 4 days in a row. Up to 45 MPH Gusts and nothing below 22 MPH during that time. Ice does suck wind too when 2-3 degrees out. Least it I dry here. I hate loosing power in the winter 2 many stock tank heaters to keep going. Lost power during the wildfire for 11 days! Had to keep 13 freezers full of stuff going. I picked up a 12KW Generator. Easy to burn 1-1-1/2 gals a hour doing it. But I have well water and electric water heaters so I still get to shower! Hair & Carharts keeps you warm plowing snow. I did just trim up my beard some a couple days ago. At the beginning of the Virus Scare it was 1 1/2" long! Could not get it cut for over a year now think of all the money I saved!
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=otx&sid=KMFW1&num=48

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
One tip for anyone having to use a portable generator. The exhaust will heat a 10 gallon pot of water faster than you think. It might smell a little like gas but if the alternative is bathing in ice cold water, well pick which you like. . .

Been there and done that as well after a hurricane.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 259 Posts