Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 gallons small cucumbers split down the middle.
1 gallon boiling water with 1 pint salt.
Pour over pickles.
Let stand for 1 week.
Drain.
Cover with boiling water.
Let stand for 24 hours.
Drain.
Cover with boiling water and a lump of alum the size of a walnut.
Let stand 24 hours.
Drain then take 2 qts. vinegar, 8 pts. sugar, handful of (pickling) spices tied in cloth,
bring to a boil and pour over pickles.
Repeat this for 4 days using this same mixture (do not throw it away and make new).
On 4th day put pickles in jars.
Bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to a rolling boil and pour over pickles.
Put lids on jars. They will seal.

This is the best pickles I've ever tasted.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Thanks Levi! I added this to the GTT Cookbook. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Is the amount of sugar really 8 pints?
8 pints of sugar dosent seem that much when your talking about 2 gallons of pickles and all the water it takes to cover them in jars :dunno:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
8 pints is a gallon, unless I've been drinking. 1 gallon of sugar for 2 gallons of cucumbers? Maybe, but I would like confirmation, as well.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have a pickling recipe I use for canning peppers, beets, etc and it's 2C Water, 2C Vinegar and 4C sugar so the math is pretty close to his recipe.

Errr, just noticed he drains the water out in the last step, sooooooo nevermind.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a pickling recipe I use for canning peppers, beets, etc and it's 2C Water, 2C Vinegar and 4C sugar so the math is pretty close to his recipe.

Errr, just noticed he drains the water out in the last step, sooooooo nevermind.
Not sure where your reading that it's drained off, it's poured in the individual canning jars at the end-not discarded...:unknown:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Not sure where your reading that it's drained off, it's poured in the individual canning jars at the end-not discarded...:unknown:
Cover with boiling water and a lump of alum the size of a walnut.
Let stand 24 hours.
Drain then take 2 qts. vinegar, 8 pts. sugar, handful of (pickling) spices tied in cloth,
bring to a boil and pour over pickles.
Repeat this for 4 days using this same mixture (do not throw it away and make new).
On 4th day put pickles in jars.
Bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to a rolling boil and pour over pickles.

Put lids on jars. They will seal.
Doesn't say anything about the water after the last "drain" step. :unknown:
Sounds to me like it canned in 2 qts vinegar and sugar solution.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Levi! I added this to the GTT Cookbook. :thumbup1gif:
Thanks! I thought I had put it there, my bad.

Is the amount of sugar really 8 pints?
Yes...

8 pints of sugar dosent seem that much when your talking about 2 gallons of pickles and all the water it takes to cover them in jars :dunno:
Correct...

8 pints is a gallon, unless I've been drinking. 1 gallon of sugar for 2 gallons of cucumbers? Maybe, but I would like confirmation, as well.
You are right. I just confirmed it with my wife.

No. "2 qts. vinegar, 8 pts. sugar, handful of (pickling) spices tied in cloth,
bring to a boil and pour over pickles." This is the step where you don't get rid of the mixture. You drain it into another pot and bring it to a boil and pour it over the pickles that you put in jars. After that you put lids on it and it will seal as if you had canned it.
Where it says "drain" you get rid of that. The last step I didn't say drain. This is my wife's recipe and how she does it. I just asked her to make sure this was right. She said yes.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Doesn't say anything about the water after the last "drain" step. :unknown:
Sounds to me like it canned in 2 qts vinegar and sugar solution
Correct.

BTW, 2 gallons of cucumbers split down the middle makes a lot of cucumbers so the container is big. That's why I'm the one that does the draining...big and heavy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts