Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, is this bad logic: weld a coil of metal tubing to a steel plate that can be placed over a fire. Then using garden hose on inlet from pool, into unknown displacement cheapo water pump, through heated by fire coil, through another garden hose on coil outlet, back into pool. Seems like cheapest and pretty fast way to heat pool if my logic is solid. What do you think?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've watched some redneck hot tub YouTube set ups that didn't even require a pump. The heated water would move itself.
Same basic setup though with a copper coil over a wood fire.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Hey, is this bad logic: weld a coil of metal tubing to a steel plate that can be placed over a fire. Then using garden hose on inlet from pool, into unknown displacement cheapo water pump, through heated by fire coil, through another garden hose on coil outlet, back into pool. Seems like cheapest and pretty fast way to heat pool if my logic is solid. What do you think?
It'll work. You may have to ensure that your water pump is OK with hot water.

-J.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How big is your pool? I don't know what you define as "pretty fast," but I bet it would take a few hours to get it up to the temperature you want. All depends on how cold it starts at, but if you want to raise the temp 10 degrees, that's going to take a while.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just did some math. To raise 10,000 gallons (20' diameter pool) 10 degrees it will take 850,000 BTU's. Sounds like a nice bon fire. Are we all invited over?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd put the pump on the cold water side, it wouldn't see hot water.

It looks like an enclosed burner would be a lot more efficient. Put like 50 ft of coiled 1/2in copper inside a wood stove or barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I'd put the pump on the cold water side, it wouldn't see hot water.

It looks like an enclosed burner would be a lot more efficient. Put like 50 ft of coiled 1/2in copper inside a wood stove or barrel.
I use a 1/2" stainless coil (about 50' I think) to heat the wort on my brew setup. We're talking 15-25 gallons of water there, and it takes 20-30 min to get it up to temp (about 170F).

If you're looking to heat thousands of gallons I'd be looking at a larger diameter, longer length, tube. I'm no thermodynamicist, but you need to bring a lot of BTU's to your pool to even offset losses to the ambient air.

You're idea is not a bad one, I just think you might be a bit off on the scale.

-J.

ps - I'm aware that you're not looking to have a 170degF pool, but it's a linear relationship, so for eyeballing purposes it works.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
My granddad would do something like that...

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've watched some redneck hot tub YouTube set ups that didn't even require a pump. The heated water would move itself.
Same basic setup though with a copper coil over a wood fire.
:lol::lol::lol:

I have seen a couple of those rigged up at deer camps for hot water, and melting snow into potable water when the well is frozen.

They move the water slowly without a pump, and can be rather sporty at times when they run away.:mocking:

It would take a LOT of coil for volume, and a LOT of heat for a pool. They would also be real slow on changing pool temps.

Superheating a small volume and mixing with a larger volume like a Tankless water heater, would probably be much more efficient, once fuel costs are figured in. :dunno:

I wonder if "Green" tax credits would be available, for just using a giant Wile E. Coyote sized ACME magnifying glass?

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
When I was a kid, I remember the neighbors used to line the bottom of their pool with black trash bags or a black tarp. He said it would heat up faster because of the sun.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Keeping the heat in the water is going to be your biggest challenge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It amazed me once it got up in the 50s how much it accelerated the melting of a solid foot of ice on my pool. That shows how much ambient air and sun affect the pool. I think you're right. If I did this on a 60deg day for example, my heat loss from the surface of the pool alone would probably be 100x more than the little heated coil.

Oh well, this was a fun idea to entertain, but probably won't happen.

If one of you want to build me a system like this, however, I'll let you ride on my 1026r! Hahaha

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Keeping the heat in the water is going to be your biggest challenge.
For me, that's why a hot tub is just better all around.:good2:

·
Registered
714 Posts
For me, that's why a hot tub is just better all around.:good2:
Yea, a hot tub has insulated sides and cover to keep the air from stealing the heat.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Yea, a hot tub has insulated sides and cover to keep the air from stealing the heat.
And one Gizmo2 with a rabbit fur hat! :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
I hope you have a LOT of wood to burn.

A friend has one of those outside wood furnaces, heats water to heat his house. He also installed a way to heat his in ground pool (not sure exactly what). Several years ago
his grand daughter wanted a "pool party" for her birthday in February. He diverted all the heat from the wood furnace to the pool. He started weeks before the pool party date. He would post the pool temps daily ( very slow rise). He said he burnt wood non stop, but got the pool water warm enough for the party. I no longer remember how much wood he burnt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts