Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, one of the selling points that convinced my wife to let me buy my 1025R was that I could also get the 60D mower deck and a Terra King materials collection system. (She hates having grass clippings on the lawn, and I don't much like it myself.) Mulching and side-discharge are out of the question, so I'm not looking to debate the issue. What I'm hoping for is some clever ideas on getting rid of the collected clippings with the least amount of effort.

Currently, I collect them, dump them near my 8x5 trailer, then come back after mowing with the loader and scoop them up and put them into the trailer. (The trailer is low sided, and I line it with a heavy poly tarp that I burrito fold over when I'm done.) We have no "green" waste collection here, except for using the 30gal paper bags, but with 3/4 of an acre of lawn, that's like $20 worth of bags every week, and a lot of bagging. (Besides, you're only allowed 7 bags per pickup.) We are allowed 2 free trips to the local green recycling facility, and that is currently how I get rid of them. However, it's a PITA unloading the clippings.

In the future, I'll probably buy a small dump trailer, and carve out and cement in a parking spot for it that will allow me to just back up and dump the clippings directly into the trailer from the Terra King, but that's a couple years away. I can probably convince my wife to let me buy the dump trailer now, but she wants me to try other solutions to start with.

Any clever ideas?

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts
Is there anyplace on the property to dump and compost them?

·
Registered
321 Posts
You might want to rethink about mulching. A good mulcher will leave your yard looking like a golf course. The mulch also feeds the grass with those clippings. It eliminates putting in extra expensive fertilizer. I have been mulching my grass for over 20 years. Try using your MMM one time and run over the windrows a a second time with the deck raised to the highest setting to disperse the grass more. Save a lot of time and money. If that doesn't work, suggest to your wife that she needs ti start doing the lawn care, 🙂 😉

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to rethink about mulching. A good mulcher will leave your yard looking like a golf course. The mulch also feeds the grass with those clippings. It eliminates putting in extra expensive fertilizer. I have been mulching my grass for over 20 years. Try using your MMM one time and run over the windrows a a second time with the deck raised to the highest setting to disperse the grass more. Save a lot of time and money. If that doesn't work, suggest to your wife that she needs ti start doing the lawn care, 🙂 😉
We've tried that in the past. They just don't decompose quick enough, and we end up with a butt-load of clippings. Heck, we still have clippings from last year that have not decomposed as of yet. Mulching is not an option.

·
Registered
321 Posts
We've tried that in the past. They just don't decompose quick enough, and we end up with a butt-load of clippings. Heck, we still have clippings from last year that have not decomposed as of yet. Mulching is not an option.
If your clippings are not going down into the grass and out of sight, then you need to cut the grass more often to reduce the amount of clippings each time you mow, or change the height of your mowing deck when you mow. At what height are you keeping the grass? Don't let the grass get too tall because that is when the the clippings become a problem. If that doesn't work, you might think about burning them after they dry out,

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
I installed the mulch kit. It has worked perfectly. Grass clippings, leaves, pine cones, twigs etc totally gone from vision. The only time I had anything show is when I mowed when it was too wet. Haven’t had to rake since I installed it. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Too bad you can't compost. I put all my leaves and clippings and even small twigs into my "dirt farm". I keep three piles, one garden mix, one pure black dirt, and one compost. I stir the compost pile 2 or 3 times a year and it works great. I mix the resulting compost into the black dirt with some sand and whatever else and create my garden mix. The material in these pics is just compost from yard debris.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
We put the grass clippings between the tree rows in out 4 rows of trees. Cuts moisture loss and adds nitrogen back in the soil.

rob

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I turn my compost every 3 days when I'm on schedule, and add water as necessary. A 5'x8'x8' pile of grass clippings will reduce to half in about two weeks. If it's just grass and you're diligent, you can have it fully composted as quickly as 2 months.

It does sound like you're going too long in between mowing if you can't mulch your clippings and have them disappear.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Ryky, Mulching is definitely the easiest method IF done correctly!
First step is to install mulching blades and then block your discharge chute with a piece of sheet metal. Don't let grass grow too high. You'll want to cut no more than 2" from the top of the grass. Last, run wide open throttle and travel slowly! When done correctly, you won't see any clippings! Bob

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
You can eliminate the clippings by

• Keeping the blades SHARP
  • Using the Lift or Gator Blades
  • Not cutting off more than 1.25" off of grass at a time
  • Alternate direction by 90 degrees

In the second photo, you can see where the property lines transition to the neighbors yard and it looks completely different. He always cuts the same direction and doesn't maintain his mower the way I think they should be maintained, which results in the clippings, which lead to excess thatch, which makes the yard look messy..

Plant Building Property Botany Green
Plant Tree Green Natural landscape Land lot
every time you cut
- Cross cut the clippings if you can see them on the lawn at a 90 degree angle to the first cutting

Here is lawn cut following these guides and the lawn looks good. No collection of clippings, no specific mulching process, just cut as described above.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
OP
I recently bought a very nice sweeper for OCCASIONAL use. My deck has the mulch kit on it and that's that. If the lawn gets clumpy I'll sweep. I also have a mulch pile for use as needed. So there are many ways to skin this cat, starting with giving your wife all of the options and let her decide for herself. Make her a part of the process, and if that doesn't maybe she'll pickup a part time job to pay for the bags.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
If you don't have a dump trailer, get one of these (link below) to make unloading 1,000 times easier and cleaner. You can mount in a truck bed, or on the trailer and it allows you to crank and unload the clippings. They actually work if you get a good quality unit. Avoid the cheap ones as they don't last but the Northern Tool unit should be pretty good.

Honestly, I would try to get away from all of the collecting, handling and hauling and dumping of the clippings and simply chop them back in to the lawn. Its a shame to haul away all of the nutrients and then replace the lost nutrients with more fertilizer chemicals.

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
206 Posts
Where do you live and what kind of grass do you have?

Proper mulching means you basically can skip one fertilization per year. The first step in mulching well is properly sharpened mulching blades. That means an air grinder that uses the little scotch brite pads, and taking the edge from the factory up a notch. Then you have to cut small amounts, there is no way to effectively mulch grass clippings that are longer than about 1/2 inch, and it gets worse the wider the blade of grass. This why you see greens (very fine grass blades) on golf courses cut with 10 blade gas reel mowers, and they cut them often. And not all mulching mowers are made the same. I have a garden home and cut it with a toro super recycler. You will not find a finer mulching mower that uses a blade than that.

I have a bermuda lawn, and every spring I have to scalp it, and bag it. So before the frost makes mine dormant, I try to cut it as low as I can with the mulching mower, so I don't have to bag much. Even so, my super recycler on setting 1 is still lower than the toro recycler I bag with on setting 1. Like I said, not all mulching mowers are the same. My super recycler is a 6hp and I have watched it mulch and cut grass that a new recycler with 7.25 hp will not handle. It's deck and blade design too.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Leaving grass clippings on the grass is the best for the grass. Collect them, and you'll need to apply fertilizer. Don't collect and likely never need fertilizer.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sounds to me like she might be happier with astroturf. Over the years I have known a few who did that. I also knew a couple folks that paved their small yard and painted it green. Glad I only have a yard instead of a lawn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts