Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current situation: 10kw PTO generator on a pallet in garage. When I have the need to park Tacoma in garage, say a storm is forecast or more often now to keep pine pollen off, I move generator on pallet to 12x12 storage shed. Then problem becomes not enough floor space in shed to keep there permanently. I could put generator on a dolly and move into a spot in garage where generator and Tacoma would fit, but generator would still be taking up a lot of floor space.
What I would like to do is put generator on some sort of a rack or shelf so I could use the floor space underneath. Which also would require a way to lift generator (160lbs) off ground. Don't like the idea of lifting generator on pallet as it is not bolted to pallet and is not really that secure. I've seen devices for pallet forks that would allow straps for lifting.

·
Administrator
20,322 Posts
Two options:
1) Strap to a standard or custom fitted pallet
2) Have a welder add to 2" x 4" tubes to the sides of the frame to create fork slots

·
Registered
717 Posts
Or you could eliminate the generator moving entirely by building it an enclosure of its own. I am thinking something along the lines of a small well house styled to match your house and/or shed. Pour a small concrete pad a little bigger than the generator footprint. Build a simple frame over it to house the generation. The house could lift off with your forks, or hinge open. Then just back the tractor up to the generator when needed and connect it up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two options:
1) Strap to a standard or custom fitted pallet
2) Have a welder add to 2" x 4" tubes to the sides of the frame to create fork slots
I thought of something like your #2 suggestion. Fab a couple brackets like on the Load-N-Go and weld them to the generator platform. I'm a decent welder so the only issue would be if the platform gauge would be sufficient to hold weight of generator.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or you could eliminate the generator moving entirely by building it an enclosure of its own. I am thinking something along the lines of a small well house styled to match your house and/or shed. Pour a small concrete pad a little bigger than the generator footprint. Build a simple frame over it to house the generation. The house could lift off with your forks, or hinge open. Then just back the tractor up to the generator when needed and connect it up.
View attachment 782336
This is a good idea but wouldn't work for me. Whenever I'm using my generator it's because of an ice storm or hurricane and I wouldn't want my tractor left running for an extended period exposed to the elements and people thinking about 'borrowing' a tractor. The way I use my generator is to park tractor with generator in my garage next to house. Both generator and tractor are protected and even though our lots are 1 to 3 acres, having the tractor in the garage sort of muffles the engine when it's spun up to get the generator in the 'green'.

·
Registered
25,349 Posts
Strap to a standard or custom fitted palle
I’ve been making custom pallets for myself for a while now - with pressure treated.

Because of the humidity living in the woods here pallets don’t last long. So I built one sized for my spot sprayer and a couple others. Amazing the sprayer pallet fits in the bed of my newly acquired Gator perfectly.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My Honda generator, which weighs 300 pounds, has a lifting bar with an weight-centered eye on top. I move it around and lift it up to sit on a shelf using Ken's bolt on bucket hooks and lifting straps.

Does your generator have any way to attach lifting hooks? I assume you have also watched some TTWT Youtube videos to check out how he organizes his storage on shelves.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,296 Posts
My Honda generator, which weighs 300 pounds, has a lifting bar with an weight-centered eye on top. I move it around and lift it up to sit on a shelf using Ken's bolt on bucket hooks and lifting straps.

Does your generator have any way to attach lifting hooks? I assume you have also watched some TTWT Youtube videos to check out how he organizes his storage on shelves.
His generator appears to have plenty of places to attach lifting straps. He could also install some eye bolts in the holes on the rear of the platform.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
645 Posts
Buy a chain fall and hang it. That's what i did with my post hole digger. They are so awkward to hook up and that solved the hooking up issue and the storage issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts