Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Toolbar%20Diagram-580x390[1].jpg

Gentlemen,

So I have a garden and a 1025r with a tiller. I'm looking to you guys for creative ways to weed my vegetable garden after it is planted. I've thought about buying a little honda/mantis front tine tiller or even a tiller attachment on the end of a weed trimmer. However, I started thinking that some sort of cultivator with thought out row spacing would be a good idea.

The tractor is 48" wide.
The tires are 12" wide.
Tiller is 52" wide.
I will need to measure the ground clearance of the tractor as this maybe my limiting factor as the plants grow. I will need to check with wife on height of certain plants (peppers, beans, peas) as I may be able to have all the short plants in one area. I have even thought about making my rows 52+" apart as I have a lot of room!

My mind keeps going back to a peice of 2" square tubing about 8+ feet wide with shanks/tines U bolted on for my row spacing mounted on the 3 point. Kind of like Heavy Hitch's but a lot wider so that I can go over multiple rows...

I have access to a welder and some steel but not endless tinkering or ability.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I thought of this very same thing (have similar equipment), but alas ground clearance is definitely the issue I had. Basically, anything taller than a potato will get knocked over. We planted our rows wider apart so I could till the weeds between rows, and then picked up a small gas powered cultivator to work between the plants. I worked out pretty well, considering we use no herbicides or pesticides (that aren't natural), and grow 90% heirloom.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, ground clearance will be an issue....

What about having a 52" wide tiller row and then narrow rows on each side of it? The wider the cultivator the more narrow rows?

I suppose none of this factors in all the tall plants: sweet corn, tomatoes, etc.. I need to mechanize this garden!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yes, get a smaller cultivator so you can actually plant some stuff in your big garden. We were going to do the same thing again this year (wide rows and cultivator), but are also thinking of putting the black plastic down on the planting rows so no weeds can get through at all. Looks like this: 615x200-ehow-images-a07-lh-q4-black-sheets-kill-garden-weeds-800x800.jpg

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
With space not being a concern why not get the implement like you have pictured and get all the attachments you need. That way you can straddle the rows when possible and when not you can go in between the rows and do whatever you want. You can cultivate or hill each row before and after planting. That is the kind of equipment I've been looking at to get for myself. I'd want 4 to 6 tines at least and 2 disks with all of them to be able to be taken off or be placed anywhere on the bar. You can add as needed later on anything else you might need. There are many different ones on the market so you need to look around to get the one that will work for you or to see just how you want to make one. I'm going to have a bigger garden this year so I'm looking to see just which one I'll end up with. Hoeing is going to be relegated to in between the plants and a cultivator for in between the rows to get rid of weeds. The disks are for hilling the rows before planting and for hilling the potatoes after they start growing. Good luck.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
We have struggled with this too. I have the 48" tiller for the tractor and a rear tine walk behind cub cadet tiller and a craftsman mini cultivator (think Mantis). The craftsman died last season. The cub needs work, so I need to figure it all out too. I have transitioned to raised beds and only till a 20'x40' garden now that needs to be fenced like Fort Knox. I am going to put my money in fixing the old cub (it is a late 80's model that belonged to my great grandfather) and buy a Stihl Kombi system with a cultivator. FWIW we also tried the black plastic and for us it just worked better in theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: weekend warrior

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are all kinds of 3pt cultivator options... Yes... Tractor ground clearance will be an issue depending on the row crop involved and tractor involved... My old JD 855 only has about 10" clearance at most stripped down to its max...

Here is my homemade tool bar with chisel points... You can change the pattern of diggers and chisels to shovels as needed...
Also a purchased attachment that is both reasonable priced, and versatile....

Good luck
===
Homemade...
ead1e9ca-b41a-462a-9768-4c181997f02f_zpse48f4acd.jpg

Purchased..... One example...
King Kutter One Row "C" Tine Cultivator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts