Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some creative thinkers...

My brother uses the female half of 1/2" socket universal joints to make the strapwinder tools he sells to truckers. He has hundreds of male pieces left over and we haven't been able to come up with a good use for them. Can anyone offer ideas about what these might be good for?

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
Why doesn’t he have the part he needs machined? This way he’s not buying part of something he can’t use.

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Kenny beat me to it. Only buy what's needed. Go to the source and purchase the un-assembled side of the u-joint.

Otherwise..............ballast box fodder. :dunno:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why doesn’t he have the part he needs machined? This way he’s not buying part of something he can’t use.
He tried -- off-the-shelf is much cheaper than custom work even with the scrap.
Eventually, he may inquire whether some Chinese Factory can sell him just the unassembled piece he needs. He's concerned that they'll steal his patented design if they see what he's doing, though.

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
He tried -- off-the-shelf is much cheaper than custom work even with the scrap.
Eventually, he may inquire whether some Chinese Factory can sell him just the unassembled piece he needs. He's concerned that they'll steal his patented design if they see what he's doing, though.

The Chinese will copy someone with or without a patent, they have no scruples and assume you don’t have the resources to fight them anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I'd like to see the strap winder tool. You've peaked my interest.:munch:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
You need to head to shark tank my friend! Do they actually tighten the straps enough with a battery operated tool? They will ask you that question before they give you 1.7 million.. and 65 % of the company's profits.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to head to shark tank my friend! Do they actually tighten the straps enough with a battery operated tool? They will ask you that question before they give you 1.7 million.. and 65 % of the company's profits.
The tool is for rewinding straps, not securing a load. There's a big disclaimer on the sale page, yet one guy returned his with the 1/4" stainless jaws bent nearly 90 degrees, asking for a replacement. We think he used more than battery power! I don't know of anything of this size that can provide enough force for tie-down. Even if possible, the solution would be very heavy and cost more that it's worth.

There have been a couple of inquiries from distributors and wholesalers. Of course, they want to take way more than 65% of the sale price for themselves, leaving no profit potential for making the tools. Maybe he can sell the patent someday to someone with an automated production line.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Jewelry for rappers??? :unknown: Maybe that way there won't be so many Mercedes emblems go missing. :laugh:
:lolol::lolol::good2:

Reactions: tj1 and Herminator

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Build it your self breaker bar! He can include the pin (I assume he can supply the pin) Buyer supplies handle of any length

·
Registered
256 Posts
Storage / transport for 1/2 inch sockets?

Maybe with a rod or a cable through a number of these, one could put a few loose sockets on them and keep them together in a toolbag for taking to the worksite?

==Grizzler

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The tool is for rewinding straps, not securing a load. There's a big disclaimer on the sale page, yet one guy returned his with the 1/4" stainless jaws bent nearly 90 degrees, asking for a replacement. We think he used more than battery power! I don't know of anything of this size that can provide enough force for tie-down. Even if possible, the solution would be very heavy and cost more that it's worth.

There have been a couple of inquiries from distributors and wholesalers. Of course, they want to take way more than 65% of the sale price for themselves, leaving no profit potential for making the tools. Maybe he can sell the patent someday to someone with an automated production line.
I see what it does. Winds up the straps quick after unsecuring a load. Makes sense.
Some loads i see have like 15 straps so it seems like a nice tool. :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
Storage / transport for 1/2 inch sockets?

Maybe with a rod or a cable through a number of these, one could put a few loose sockets on them and keep them together in a toolbag for taking to the worksite?

==Grizzler

Great idea Grizz.

·
Premium Member
8,091 Posts
That's a clever idea with the strap re-winder. :good2:

Unfortunately KennyD is correct concerning our 'good friends' in China having zero scruples. If there was a profit in it; they'd steal the genetic code for mosquitoes and make more of the buggers to annoy mankind.

If you can't find a good use for the unused parts; then all I can suggest is save them for scrap and recycle them. You won't get much for them; but at least they won't end up in a landfill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts