Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
We don't know what kind of car this is! Picture was taken in 1968...
Looks like an Edsel. Kind of hard to tell for sure with out being able to see the front. They were built by Ford in 1958, 59 and 60. Not one of Ford's better cars!!!

http://www.edsel.com/

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
Looks like a 1959 Edsel or Mercury. They were pretty much the same car with just a few different styling cues.

'58 - '60 were bad years for car sales. All manufacturers introduced new styles just in time for a downturn in the economy and a steep sales slide.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
I thought Edsel too, but looking at the number of letters along the rear quarter and even on the front fender, there are more than 5.:unknown:

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
I thought Edsel too, but looking at the number of letters along the rear quarter and even on the front fender, there are more than 5.:unknown:
Here's a photo of a '59 Edsel 4-Door Ranger. Looks close.

Edsel Ranger 1959.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
If it wasn't for the rear door handles I'd say it's the spitting image of the 1960/61 Rambler Ambassador Super.

rambler-ambassador-super-4dr-01.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
That is a Mercury pictured. Mercury and Edsel of that vintage used the same sheet metal among some models.
I was thinking Mercury as well but they had a different rear door window arrangement and the roofline overhung the rear windshield.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
That is a Mercury pictured. Mercury and Edsel of that vintage used the same sheet metal among some models.

Hmmm.. all of the pics of Mercury's I can find in that era show the rear roof pillar swept forward. The car in that pic has it swept back.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts

Doh! I didn't go back as far as a '58 but you seem to be getting close. The 58 had the "Mercury" name tag right above and to the front of the front tires and the tail fin on the side has nothing in/on it.

Buuuuuttt... (Now ya got me looking!)... the 1957 Mercury Montclair.... The name tag is in the right place + has the writing in the tail fins...

mercury.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
Doh! I didn't go back as far as a '58 but you seem to be getting close. The 58 had the "Mercury" name tag right above and to the front of the front tires and the tail fin on the side has nothing in/on it.

Buuuuuttt... (Now ya got me looking!)... the 1957 Mercury Montclair.... The name tag is in the right place + has the writing in the tail fins...

View attachment 124233
JimR,

I'd say you nailed it! :yahoo:

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
JimR,

I'd say you nailed it! :yahoo:
Being OCD pays off sometimes. :laugh:

That one pic doesn't show the name tag behind the front wheels. Not sure what the deal is with that. Other pics for the '57 DO show it behind the wheel like in the original pic. Maybe when this guy did his restoration he mixed up a couple of different years front fenders?

But honestly, until I saw that pic of the '58, I'd kinda given up. In my head I was convinced it was a 1960/61 era car. So props to spferdil for finding that!

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I agree with '58 Merc. They did have a model that had the rear window with the reverse slant. That was the Turnpike Cruiser.

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Being OCD pays off sometimes. :laugh:

That one pic doesn't show the name tag behind the front wheels. Not sure what the deal is with that. Other pics for the '57 DO show it behind the wheel like in the original pic. Maybe when this guy did his restoration he mixed up a couple of different years front fenders?

But honestly, until I saw that pic of the '58, I'd kinda given up. In my head I was convinced it was a 1960/61 era car. So props to spferdil for finding that!
If you look very closely at the picture, you will notice the different shades of paint between the front fender and the rest of the car rearward. Yep, it had probably been repainted at one time. The chrome strip on the rocker is missing on the fender, as well. Mix and mismatch of parts.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Mystery solved?? Sure seems that way. As for the wording behind the front wheel, I think pretty much what JimR posted. That, or he just couldn't find the emblem/nameplate.

You know. Now that the word Montclair is in your head after it being mentioned as a possible model. I'll bet anything that is the word on the front fender. You can almost see it.:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
Here's a pic of a 2-door version of the 57 Montclair. Note the name tag on the front fender.

mercury_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts