Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing my yearly oil change today, my dog ears heard a rattling sound (with ear muffs on mind you) and traced it down to this little stainless or aluminum cap like thing on the rear of the injector pump. It's covering what looks like some sort of metering or set screw. Is it supposed to be loose (the cover/cap) , because with the engine running it spins around pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm shooting in the dark, but it looks like the cap over the high speed stop screw on the governor.

Here's the part diagram for the governor. The cap is number 9:

Governor.jpg

Here's the section of the tech manual that describes adjusting the throttle cable:

High Speed Stop Screw.png

The high speed stop screw is factory adjusted and cannot be changed. The tech manual states "IMPORTANT: The fast idle adjustment is preset by the engine manufacturer to comply with emissions requirements and is not adjustable. Tampering with the fast idle adjustment may result in fines or penalties."

To be honest, I don't know if that should rattle around or not (and I don't have access to my tractor to look). Looking close at your picture, it looks like it's just a type of security cap so you can't get a wrench around the stop nut below the cap to adjust the high speed stop screw. Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm my guess or educate the both of us. Since it looks like it's just snapped in place, a drop of high temp rtv might keep it from spinning.

:thumbup1gif:

Edited to add: I wish I could look at my tractor, but I'm thinking the air cleaner is directly above the area you are referring. The air cleaner canister is notorious for making a rattle against its bracket. Mine was fine at first, but later I had to add a strip of 1/8" rubber between the canister and bracket to tighten up the canister so it wouldn't rattle. Something to consider?...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Just another 'normal' sound to disregard! Thanks All.

·
Administrator
20,836 Posts
If the noise bugs you, put a little crimp in it to prevent the rattle. :good2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm shooting in the dark, but it looks like the cap over the high speed stop screw on the governor.

The high speed stop screw is factory adjusted and cannot be changed. The tech manual states "IMPORTANT: The fast idle adjustment is preset by the engine manufacturer to comply with emissions requirements and is not adjustable. Tampering with the fast idle adjustment may result in fines or penalties."

To be honest, I don't know if that should rattle around or not (and I don't have access to my tractor to look). Looking close at your picture, it looks like it's just a type of security cap so you can't get a wrench around the stop nut below the cap to adjust the high speed stop screw.

I agree with the above reply. I would almost bet that that cap is designed to be loose so that it would be more difficult to remove (or cut off) so that the governor could be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Prolly covers the smoke screw as the old mechanic who worked on my old tractor refered to it as. I think it kept the governor from giving to much fuel. After he repaired the stuck governor, my fuel consumption went up as did the amount of smoke produced. This was when new and under warranty. Later adjusted this screw and made significantly less smoke and my fuel consumption went back down, but still had the power I needed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I haven't noticed mine rattling but if I did I would put a dollop of silicone on it to quiet it.

Reactions: Drifterbike
1 - 9 of 9 Posts