Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying this from a neighbour. It needs tyres, and don't know if it runs. I know it's a B model and have looked at a hundred pictures of them online and have not seen a single one that is identical to this machine. The one thing that stands out is the gearbox in the steering. Nothing I find online has this gear box.

Does anyone know what year from looking at it? Or, can someone tell me where to find the serial number?

thanks.

Brett

John Deere B (2).jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
You should be able to find the serial number on a tag that should be on the frame right behind that mid-PTO pully.

And that steering gear box is (I believe!) called a "Kosch Steering Aid". Deere never produced a machine with one but they were made as an after-market add-on for several Deere machines - including the B.

Kosch Steering Aid Handled Driving Shock - Kosch Steering Wheels

Sherman and Elenco (sp?) also made steering gear multipliers that mounted that way as well. Anyway, that gear box should have a name on it.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
my serial tag is right on the frame rail at the big pulley, on the right side of tractor sitting on it. ur's in the picture has no cover on it. get ur no then u can go online to one of deere's sites, and find out what yr it is. pretty good find with the add on power steering too. over the yrs what i've i've been told was this, if u had the battery under ur seat, and square axle housing's it was at least a 1948 yr. now that's just my guess, on age from what i've been told, find the serial tag, and then u can make sure-ok. good luck and great find. shoot us some pics if u get it, and after u get it running.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Jim is right. Square seat started with 1948 production (serial number 201,000 - ) and ended with final B production in 1952.

If you post the serial number I will look it up for you in the Green Magazine Almanac.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The "square" axle housing began in 1950 for the most part. I saw a B at a show that was identified as a 1950 but had the rounded axle housings. Can't remember if it was a BN (narrow) or a BW (wide).Later I read something about the older casting style was used on the special models until the castings were all used up.
Anyway, the only way to be certain is the serial number. I suspect the tag, if still there, will be hard to see. It appears the P/S pump is being driven by the gov. gear, and the distributor is driven by the pump.
Sure would be nice if our B had the P/S!

Sample tag location.

Mag timed.JPG

Sample of "square" axle housing on a 1950 B.

Hyd valve off.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Registered
364 Posts
The pressed steel rim shown on that tractor was available as well as the heavy cast center/removable rim type. They do use different hubs with a taper locking collar. The rim bolts to the hub much like car and truck wheels. That one has the hub mounted to the inside of the wheel.
I'd guess the tractor would weigh about 700 - 800 pounds less with the pressed rims.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the motor is stuck. Nobody put a cap over the exhaust and I'd bet good money that there is quite a bit of water in there.

Definitely a '48 to '52 late styled B though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I feel like I should mention that a stuck motor doesn't mean a junk motor... Just one that is going to need a little help in order to come back to life. And just because the motor needs help doesn't mean that the rest of the tractor is automatically scrap either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts