Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a 3038E I purchased at auction.

As I was giving it the once over in my garage post delivery, I decided to see if the rear tires were filled. The valve stem was clocked at 3 o'clock so I let some air out. Sure enough, liquid came with it. The liquid appears to be plain water. It is clear and seems to be odorless. I declined to taste it. This tractor appears to have spent it's prior life in Virginia where maybe they don't worry about freezing. Me, it is common for the high temperature to be -5 degrees F for weeks at a time in January.

Is there any simple way to identify whether it is filled with "real" ballast or just plain water? If I had an accurate scale I would know what to do, but I don't...

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After 24 hours in the freezer (and our freezer is set to the coldest setting), I had a cup of what resembled a Slush Puppy. So it isn't plain water, but I'll still need to change it before next winter.

Thanks!

Al

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Slush is usually ok

After 24 hours in the freezer (and our freezer is set to the coldest setting), I had a cup of what resembled a Slush Puppy. So it isn't plain water, but I'll still need to change it before next winter.

Thanks!

Al
Depending on how much colder your weather gets, it may be ok. Slushy fluid is ok as it's still fluid when the tire flexes. Solid blocks of ice aren't acceptable though.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
554 Posts

Thanks!

Al
Where will you be storing the tractor? That could make a difference as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts