Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for some opinions. I sometimes need to get off the tractor to do something that may take between 1 to 5 minutes and then get back on. Do you owners shut down and restart when done, or do you keep the engine idling for that short period? I'm talking about being right next to the tractor and not walking away. If I need to walk away, I always shut it down - Safety first.

I'm thinking about wear and tear from starting versus some small additional fuel consumption.

Opinions welcome, and please indicate gasoline or diesel. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I leave my tractors, hilo, boat, car, ATV, and truck idling while performing manual labor near by. I too am more concerned with starter wear than accumulated hours on the meter, or fuel consumption. Not scientific by any means, just how I feel the equipment should be treated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I leave my tractors, hilo, boat, car, ATV, and truck idling while performing manual labor near by. I too am more concerned with starter wear than accumulated hours on the meter, or fuel consumption. Not scientific by any means, just how I feel the equipment should be treated.
I feel the same way as XSKIER on this one, but probably more out of habit than anything!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I'm just looking for some opinions. I sometimes need to get off the tractor to do something that may take between 1 to 5 minutes and then get back on. Do you owners shut down and restart when done, or do you keep the engine idling for that short period? I'm talking about being right next to the tractor and not walking away. If I need to walk away, I always shut it down - Safety first.

I'm thinking about wear and tear from starting versus some small additional fuel consumption.

Opinions welcome, and please indicate gasoline or diesel. Thanks in advance.
I am more moody and indifferent than the others. You know, is the sun shining to day, I leave it run. Is today even or odd? You get the picture. Really don't give it a whole lot of thought at the moment.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am more moody and indifferent than the others. You know, is the sun shining to day, I leave it run. Is today even or odd? You get the picture. Really don't give it a whole lot of thought at the moment.
Gee Randy, You never struck me as a "moody" kind of preson...:nunu::mocking:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Diesel, I think I am more like RandyM. Noise, exhaust fumes, mood. The manual says something like more than 3 minutes use faster rpm. Of course if you just were running it hard you are supposed to idle it for a while not just shut it off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I generally leave it idling if I am off for less than 5 minutes. I you have worked it hard it is good practice to idle for several minutes before shutting it off. Longer than 5 minutes I will try to slow down and go easy and then maybe idle it for a minute before shutting down.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
For a few minutes, I leave it idle. If I'm going to be off seat for more than a few minutes, then I shut it off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rule of thumb I learned

As diesels cool from running at low RPM and low load very little fuel is burnt, combustion efficiency drops and less fuel is converted to CO2, H2O, NOx, etc during the burn... leaving excess hydrocarbons and carbon that stick/condense in crevices and on surfaces of the combustion chamber that is relatively cold if left idling too long... 'probably a well understood fact by everyone :munch:, but its worth the mentioning the mechanisms just in case.

5 minutes is the rule of thumb I use for diesels. I don't idle longer than that, its plenty of time to cool the engine down. Higher RPM is better for prolonged idle due to the higher friction loads that must be overcome requiring even more fuel and generating more heat helping improve combustion efficiency. Allowing idle for a few minutes after working the engine hard will extend the life of the engine/oil and turbo by preventing a prolonged soak at high temps if you were to just key it off.

All this being said, truck/bus drivers idle for hours... :unknown:

Matt

Reactions: PaDave

·
Registered
129 Posts
Owner Operator Vs. Company Driver

FWIW......I remember once, a seasoned truck driver, telling me why some of the trucks at the truck stop were left running and others were shut off. He said, the company drivers who don't own the truck or have to buy the fuel, let them run. The owner/operators, who own the truck and pay for their own fuel, turn them off. As he closed his log book and walked away, he said, and that my son, is the way of the road.:bye2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.