Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I already own it and plan to restore is someday.

It's almost too nice to restore so might buy another one and restore it.

Its a 1967. My grandpa had a 67 and I learned to drive and mow on it.

You might add why you want one to your post. If its just cool or you have special memories.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
4020 Row-crop, wide front end, diesel, Power Shift. Second generation of the 4020 with side console rockshaft and selective control levers, just like the one in the picture. There is no better music than listening to the 404 cu in diesel in a 4020.

4020.jpg

Don:usa

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'll have to just hint until I can get some close up pics of the actual machine. The current owner lives in another state during the winter and will return this spring. Hopefully I can get some pictures when he comes back.
It's a diesel, has duals, but no cab. Currently being used as yard art along with a cab tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
I didn't actually "restore" it, just cleaned it up, fixed it up & repainted it. Dad's 1958 720D, ES, he bought it new in 59, as a leftover. He went to order a 730D, they had this one left, so he "didn't see any reason to pay $800 for a bent steering shaft"! ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
I didn't actually "restore" it, just cleaned it up, fixed it up & repainted it. Dad's 1958 720D, ES, he bought it new in 59, as a leftover. He went to order a 730D, they had this one left, so he "didn't see any reason to pay $800 for a bent steering shaft"! ~~ Lowell
That is one sweet looking tractor! Nice job! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The 1929 D sitting in my polebarn.

29d_left.jpg

29d_right.jpg

Yes, it's stuck. No, I haven't done much with it in a while. Kids came along, and other projects. I have a second '29 D as a parts tractor that is mostly complete as well. It is only about 100 off between the two serial numbers.

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
That's awesome Andy! One of my favorites for sure. Can't wait to see you restore her!:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
Mine is a little obvious, it's in my signature

I'd love to restore my Grandfather's old model 60. I don't want it in showroom condition because that's not how he'd have it. It's meant to be used and worked. So I'll get it working perfectly and straighten out the sheet metal and give it a paint job, but not a meticulous museum quality paint job. I don't want to be afraid of scratching it. Maybe I'll set it up for local tractor pulls. There's a lot of that around here and that would be fun. I think my Grandpa would like that.

Here's the day I "rescued" it.
PC160007.JPG PC160008.JPG PC160009.JPG PC160013.JPG PC160014.JPG

Here she sits patiently awaiting her turn in the garage.
IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2495.jpg

Soon....:drinks:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd love to restore my Grandfather's old model 60. I don't want it in showroom condition because that's not how he'd have it. It's meant to be used and worked. So I'll get it working perfectly and straighten out the sheet metal and give it a paint job, but not a meticulous museum quality paint job. I don't want to be afraid of scratching it. Maybe I'll set it up for local tractor pulls. There's a lot of that around here and that would be fun. I think my Grandpa would like that.

Here's the day I "rescued" it.
View attachment 15266 View attachment 15267 View attachment 15268 View attachment 15269 View attachment 15270

Here she sits patiently awaiting her turn in the garage.
View attachment 15271 View attachment 15272

Soon....:drinks:
looks as if you used it some , you run the tires plum off it . those are neat tractors hope to see it finished some day . i started to redo a tractor that was my grandads a few years ago but it was just to bad . the block had froze and busted water had got in the rear end and froze and it was busted . it was a massey harris 44 special .

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I guess it would have to be a L or LA. Also a 40 would be on my list, or maybe a H or a M. Love the smaller ones, but the biggest I would go would be a B. Now the 320s and 420s would be nice also.....It looks like just about anything John Deere.:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
I would restore a first year low serial number wide front diesel 4020. There's nothing to me that represents American Farmers than a 4020.
Exactly the tractor and why I would love to restore one!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd do my 1966 110 RF. It's a 3 owner, purchased new by a friend of my dad's. When the original owner retired he didn't want to ship it 3000 miles out west where he was going to live so dad bought it. I got it from dad about 5 years ago. Haven't touched it yet. Saving it for later. The variator is acting up now and only works in the gofast(er) position which is likely due to a lack of use. Don't have any at work but there's a couple pics on my personal web site, first column, third row. Gofast Garage

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well you might like to see this!

I guess it would have to be a L or LA. Also a 40 would be on my list, or maybe a H or a M. Love the smaller ones, but the biggest I would go would be a B. Now the 320s and 420s would be nice also.....It looks like just about anything John Deere.:laugh:
Terry here is an LA that I've had since 1972! It came with the original 1 row planter, belly mount sickle bar mower, cultivator and plow.

image.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
If money, time, space, ect. was not an issue. What John Deere model and year tractor would you restore?

If you can, please post a picture of the tractor for us to see.

I would do a 1970 4020 Diesel

View attachment 15224
Exactly what you have there. Always loved driving my grandfathers 4020 when I helped out. Second option is a wide front end 630 or 730. Something about the put-put takes me back.

Red meat is not bad for you. Green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's easy. It would be my 1968 2020 with model 48 loader. Not so much because I think they were the greatist ever though it is a very good old tractor. It looks pretty rough but runs like a champ, I can get a lot of work done with it.

I would restore it because of the history and probable future it has. It was bought used by my FIL, who I really admired, he sold it to my BIL and I purchased it from him. My youngest son who is now 21 told me when he was 12 don't even think about selling it because it was going to be his one day.:laugh:

Very stout, has a later model 2030 engine so it's somewhere in the 60hp range. With water, weights and loader it's bumping up close to 9k lbs.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts