Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had $1500.00 to blow on tools what would you buy?
PERSONALLY, I'm torn between a Compressor or Plasma..but I'm not limited to those...any tools you guys have you couldnt live without.
Oh, when I say tools, I'm not ruling out any tractor attachments...

80 Gal "Cheapie" IR Compressor:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/80-gallon-2-stage-air-compressor-5-hp-3496129

TD Cutmaster 52:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Dynamics-Cutmaster-Plasma-1-5130-1/dp/B001IFR8SS

Even then, I'm torn...do I spend the extra bucks and get the "Good" 80 Gal unit like the JD or IR/MiTM? Or is the cheaper IR I posted "Good Enough".

I already do have a small compressor: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-HL421000RB-Air-Compressor/p1924.html...bought it in a rush...did the trick and still does for filling tires, painting projects, etc..but obviously for a shop I'd want/need something better.
Plasma...well...I've just always wanted one...LOL

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
OOOOh yeah, do like the green!:good2:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Air compressor is good.

I'd like to get a 9' rear blade with wheel so I can plow snow in my heated cab. But with a working 318 and plow, and with living in NC, that's a hard one to justify (but you said I had to blow the money...)

8' Landscape rake. The one I have is too small for the 4520- one snag and it would twist it.

Diverter valve for my 4520 so some day I can add a loader if I want to.

Finally, some sort of welder so I could play with that stuff.

So looks like I really need $7500 to blow...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would put the $1500 towards a new Miller stationary mig welder. Right now all I have to weld with is an engine driven Miller Trailblazer, a stationary unit would be lots more quiet.

For most home shops the $999 compressor would be good, would depend on how much air you needed and frequency of use.

Toolboxes, right now I have 23 rollaway tool carts and 5 of these are similar to the one pictured by Dave. I may have to buy a few of these before spring and could blow that $1500 in the first minute or two doing this.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dave,
Now don't go getting stressed out about which one to buy as Kenny points out you would need both.

Got to ask you though does anyone have a retrofit plasma cutter for people with larger welding machines? Seems like you wouldn't need to buy that part of it all over again.

My Miller Trailblazer has a good stable output for tig, mig and stick with remote control. I also have a mig suitcase that holds up to 30 lb rolls with a 50 ft lead so that I can use it in the shop and leave the machine outside. I would prefer to get a plasma cutter that I could use on the jobsites that would work off this machine.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
Dave,
Now don't go getting stressed out about which one to buy as Kenny points out you would need both.

Got to ask you though does anyone have a retrofit plasma cutter for people with larger welding machines? Seems like you wouldn't need to buy that part of it all over again.

My Miller Trailblazer has a good stable output for tig, mig and stick with remote control. I also have a mig suitcase that holds up to 30 lb rolls with a 50 ft lead so that I can use it in the shop and leave the machine outside. I would prefer to get a plasma cutter that I could use on the jobsites that would work off this machine.
I asked Miller directly about this years ago-I said I already have a huge power supply in the welder, why not just a "box" that hooks to the welder that would control the air and other function of the PC. They replied with some uber-technical mumbo-jumbo that made no real sense...but I get the feeling they just wanted to sell you a while unit for more $$$

·
Registered
430 Posts
kenny,
Along these same lines I am also considering buying a good statinary welder and hooking up my sitcase to it for mig work. It would seem that as long as you buy a machine with both constant current for stick and constant voltage for mig you should be good to go. The 24vac needed for the wire feed is an easy adaptation.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
You kinda hog tied me with the $1500. Lately I have been drooling over these.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=17805&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Sure would like to upgrade.
HOLY CRAP!!!! Ten Five!!! I like mine, it was about 1G - it's a Mastercraft Maximum, got it on sale.

The best 1100$ I ever spent on tools was my Dewalt 18V setup that I bought from eBay about 4 years ago - 7 batteries, charger, impact, hammerdrill, skilsaw, jigsaw, vacuum, 90deg drill, 4.5"side grinder, flashlight, trouble lamp, radio-charger, sawzall. If you'll allow me to spend 1700$ instead of just 1500$, I'd throw my pallet forks on the list - they've been invaluable (for $600).

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!! Ten Five!!! I like mine, it was about 1G - it's a Mastercraft Maximum, got it on sale.
Yeah a bit pricey, it was more of an model example than an actual choice. I have been watching Craig's list. There are some deals out there right now.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would you run the PC without the compressor?
I tried the CutMaster 52 at a Farm Expo and the compressor they had on it was nothing bigger then what I already have... TD Rep told me that more important then the size of my compressor was having Clean & Dry air. Said I'd have No problem using the compressor I already have, especially factoring in my duty cycle....
IF I got the compressor, I'd seriously just stick it in my garden shed until I get my shop built...dont really feel like jockeying it into my basement..and no room for it in my attached garage. (Attached garage is plumbed to the basement compressor).

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Dave,
Actually, Kenny's point is you need the compressor to run the plazma cutter. You don't need the plazma cutter to run the compressor.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, Kenny's point is you need the compressor to run the plazma cutter. You don't need the plazma cutter to run the compressor.
Yeah, I'm fully aware of that....in my original post you can see my "dinky" compressor.....We had just moved into the house and I NEEDED something...9:30 at night, pretty much the only thing open was WalMart...so I just ran down and bought it knowing full well it was a temporary tool.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yeah, I'm fully aware of that....in my original post you can see my "dinky" compressor.....We had just moved into the house and I NEEDED something...9:30 at night, pretty much the only thing open was WalMart...so I just ran down and bought it knowing full well it was a temporary tool.
OK, now you have my curiousity up. What emergancy would cause you to panic buy a compressor?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, now you have my curiousity up. What emergancy would cause you to panic buy a compressor?
We literally JUST moved into the house, 2nd day there....SWMBO's car had a flat...and she had to work the next day..
Yeah I suppose I coulda jacked it up, pulled the tire, run the tire to Gas station...etc....IF there was a nail or something else in the tire, I mighta had to do the same in the AM...SO being a tool junkie, I just ran down and bought this... To me a compressor of some size is a REQUIREMENT if you have any pneumatic tires on anything...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Got it, thanks Dave.:focus:

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
Can that Walmart compressor deliver 6.7 CFM at 75 PSI?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts