Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rural mail box in addition to a PO boxes in town. Some people like to take mail from the rural/street box, hence most mail goes to the PO box. . . but not all.

However, for Missey and me, getting mail out of the rural box can be challenging from a too low car or too high truck.

Hence, I finally did this . . . 1/8" tempered board slightly small than the inside of the box and a 1" grab hole to pull that mail that's way in the back forward for easier pickup.

Mail Box.jpg

Maybe nobody else has this problem, but . . . maybe someone does and has been wondering about a fix.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Great idea

I have a rural mail box in addition to a PO boxes in town. Some people like to take mail from the rural/street box, hence most mail goes to the PO box. . . but not all.

However, for Missey and me, getting mail out of the rural box can be challenging from a too low car or too high truck.

Hence, I finally did this . . . 1/8" tempered board slightly small than the inside of the box and a 1" grab hole to pull that mail that's way in the back forward for easier pickup.

View attachment 388289

Maybe nobody else has this problem, but . . . maybe someone does and has been wondering about a fix.

Sweet idea. I might copy it. Might even put a low strip right at the back end to bring stuff with it.

Thanks.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sweet idea. I might copy it. Might even put a low strip right at the back end to bring stuff with it.

Thanks.

Treefarmer
I'm sure it's fine with no strip but won't hurt to add at the same time.
Go the xtra mile and throw some cabinet rails under it and a motor lol.

But to the OP. That's pretty nifty. That's one of those ideas you have and then you do it. Then you post it on a forum to help your fellow people out. Then 1 year later you find it on "as seen on tv" 2 for $20. Act now and we double the order for free!
Then you are sitting there kicking yourself in the rear end. I've done had a few of those ideas make someone else rich :(.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Good idea Marlin.
My mother uses one of these from Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bear-Claw-Telescopic-Back-Scratcher-Long-Hand-Instant-Itch-Relief-Massager-Soft/123585186
5a34aa13-4abe-46fc-8156-0da1b8b72bc9_1.2642aa6fc89ff64f303a9251dc8c6048.jpeg

But to the OP. That's pretty nifty. That's one of those ideas you have and then you do it. Then you post it on a forum to help your fellow people out. Then 1 year later you find it on "as seen on tv" 2 for $20. Act now and we double the order for free!
Then you are sitting there kicking yourself in the rear end. I've done had a few of those ideas make someone else rich :(.
Added this stand to our landscape rake MANY years ago, now most all have them. :banghead:

Img_3868_1.jpg

·
Registered
4,427 Posts

View attachment 388289

Awesome idea, we have the same problem, I'm making one tomorrow :thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
Pretty slick, Marlin. :thumbup1gif:

A US patent was granted in 1906 for something similar.

The object is to provide a mail-box with an automatically sliding receptacle which will bring the mail deposited in the box far enough out when the door is opened.

US838194-0.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Great idea! We have one of the T3 sized boxes (22" x 8" x 11") and at times the mail carrier flicks a single envelope all the way in the back. The board would be a great way to retrieve it!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

The object is to provide a mail-box with an automatically sliding receptacle which will bring the mail deposited in the box far enough out when the door is opened.

View attachment 388650
Get the heck out of here with that lol.
That's great.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

View attachment 388650
Marlin should be safe. His is not hooked to the door.

How many years is a patent good for any way?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Marlin should be safe. His is not hooked to the door.

How many years is a patent good for any way?
That would suck- bringing your mail forward and it's a letter from the patent attorney concerning infringement with your device? :banghead:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That would suck- bringing your mail forward and it's a letter from the patent attorney concerning infringement with your device? :banghead:

Yeah, then you find out it was the mailman that turned you in. Also something about your new device not being approved by the postmaster general. Then a small fine for you trouble. Finally you realize that getting out of the car was a lot less of a hassle. Mailman didn't want you getting soft. lol

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lolol::lolol:

Yeah, then you find out it was the mailman that turned you in. Also something about your new device not being approved by the postmaster general. Then a small fine for you trouble. Finally you realize that getting out of the car was a lot less of a hassle. Mailman didn't want you getting soft. lol
And I thought just adding this was so simple . . . :lolol::lolol:

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Added mine today. Put a backstop on mine so mail don't slide off. Just have to paint it. Postmaster can deal with the Mrs. If they don't like it.

Attachments

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
The post office has much more to deal with than a piece of wood in my mailbox.
About 30% of the mailboxes around here look like this.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The post office has much more to deal with than a piece of wood in my mailbox.
About 30% of the mailboxes around here look like this.
That sucks. Bad thing is(if I remember right) your mailbox is not on your land. So if you brick around it, put metal around it(a buddy did this after the 4th bashing) or anything you could get sued if the person bashing your mailbox gets hurt because of it.

I seen a mailbox that was all steel. Went across the ditch and was concreted into the ground.
Oh. Speaking of concrete I think you can also get in trouble if you do that and it in some way hurt a driver that wrecks into it or mailbox basher that hurts himself.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You going to make one for your paper box too.....?

The one in the weeds? lol Think it needs a little more help then a piece of wood inside.

It kind of looks like the one that I relocated with a Case 580 backhoe. lol It was buried inside a snow bank when I came along too move it. I was LMAO when I seen it sticking out of my bucket. The Plastic box probably was okay but the metal post was beyond help. It got dumped with the snow behind another vacant trailer. We had so much snow that I was piling it anywhere I could find. One night someone ended up lighting that vacant trailer on fire. The next day I went up to survey the damage. I could once again see that box making an appearance. The heat melted a lot of the snow along with the box. lol

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I don't think there is liability here. Generally you own where the post is, not where the door is.

Here is a local company, add a 1/4 thick mailbox holder and your good to go.

https://www.mailswing.com/seeitwork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't think there is liability here. Generally you own where the post is, not where the door is.

Here is a local company, add a 1/4 thick mailbox holder and your good to go.

https://www.mailswing.com/seeitwork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's just crazy enough to work. lol

Went to go plow the in laws place 2 years ago. They go south for the winter. Found the box laying on the snow bank. Opened it up after retrieving it. Yep mail inside. Unfortunately I deleted the picture of it. The 4X4 post split right at a knot in the wood. Remembering what a coworker did I searched around my Jeep. Found a H-D ratchet strap that they used to tie new bikes to the crate. Tied the post back together with it. That strap kept it together till spring. lol

Last time I drove by that former coworkers house he still had 2 of them straps holding his mailbox to a telephone pole out front. lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts