Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some remove their rear hitches between tows, and others leave the hitch installed. I also understand that in some localities the law requires the hitch be removed when not towing. Where I am the law is that the hitch must be removed if it blocks your license plate, but if it doesn't block the number, the hitch can be left installed 24/7.

If you do routinely remove your hitch, but want it along with you, how do you store it safely? It's a pretty solid and heavy item to just leave loose on a cab floor, and just tossing it in the pickup bed invites theft. I don't have a tool box in the bed and don't want one, so what is a good, safe way to stow my hitch when I remove it?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a gym bag I put mine in under the back seat. The law here says to remove when not towing , but I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it. I don't have a choice to leave it in , my garage door will not close with anything in receiver.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have always just left it in. Never had a problem being stopped by the police.
It has saved my a$$ the few times that I got rear ended over the years. One time I was in a line of cars that stopped quick. This kid in a Chevy Cavalier hit my 1995 F350 DRW Crew Cab at about 30 mph. My hitch pretty much totaled the car. The 2&5/16" ball insert was sold steel. Not hollow like most of them. The car didn't even scratch it. lol

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well my hitch for my 2 inch ball would fit in a bag but I usually just put it on the back floor board of my crewcab and it doesn't move around. The weight distribution hitch for my 2 5/16th ball is too big and heavy for a bag. If I carry it around it goes in the bed. Never had an issue with someone trying to steal a 50lb piece of steel. My bed sits up pretty high so it's not a grab and go kind of thing.

However, if you want be organize look at this or something similar Sears.com

These go on sale every now and again. The wife has bought me several to store chains and other heavy awkward tools that sometimes travel. I would think this would hold a hitch if it wasn't too big.

·
Registered
21,449 Posts
I never leave on in the truck - it will seize in there after a short period of time. Also it is a shin/knee knocker for me.

I have 3 or 4 inserts each setup differently. I only keep one in the truck which is setup with a clevis for using a chain or strap to pull someone out of a ditch or be pulled.

I have a tote in my truck which is full of tools and emergency supplies - that's where I keep it. But I have a tonnaeu cover on my truck.

I have to have emergency supplies with me like coat, boots, gloves and most importantly the fixings for a fire. There are many places around here where you will go 20 miles or more without seeing a house and no cell service anywhere. If I break down or get stuck I have to survive.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Never leave mine in unless I'm towing back to back. I have several different sizes and setups that hang on the wall of my shop next to where I park my truck. Shin bangers, and will rust in around here. I do carry two in a tool bag with tow strap on floor of crew cab. One has 2" ball and other has clevis with a towel between them so they don't rattle. Never know when I have to pull someone out, is why the clevis one, and then take clevis off for hay wagons and implements. 2" is common for smaller trailers.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have a small canvas (cordura?) tool bag just big enough for the receiver hitch and spare convert-a-balls that I put it in. Fits perfectly behind the rear seat on my RAM (by flipping up the seat bottom and shoving it under). Out of sight, out of the way, doesn't make any noise.

Rob

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use this tool bag.
workforce-tool-bag-more-10-items-1_51120151902195546.jpg

This bag goes between my 2500 and my Wrangler. Contains hitch, balls, jumper cables, tow strap, snatched block, come along, d-rings, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, pry bar, gloves, assorted wire and fuses, and of course duct tape.

It probably weighs close to 120lbs, I always have the bag ratchet strapped to the seat frame so it is not a projectile in the event of an accident.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Glad to hear so many remove the receiver. Mine is laying on a shelf in the garage when not in use. Have a bag with tow straps and chains to take along when not being used for a day or two trip.
I was glad to hear local police was in forcing the law to have receivers removed,, I've busted my shin more times than I care to remember because someone is to lazy or not caring enough to remove their receiver.
Sorry if I stepped on someones feet.

Plus as someone else said if left in for a long period of time it will freeze and then it is a PIA to remove. Had to attach a chain around the ball, then around a telephone pole and use LRange 4x4 after it had been soaking in PB blaster for a week on my BIL truck. His receiver is one longer left in his hitch.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Because almost all of my trailers take different hitches, I tend to leave specific hitches in or on their corresponding trailer. I do have one hitch which seems to be close enough to the right amount of drop for just about any trailer, so it tends to stay in the bed of my truck or get wedged behind the backseat.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
I have 2, one in the receiver & the other goes in the little tray behind the back seat in my F250.
I also leave my turnover ball in its receiver.
A couple squirts of lithium grease keeps everything from seizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have a plastic "crate" in the bed of the truck. Contains tie-down straps, bunjee cords, gloves, and my hitch when not in use. I have a bunjee cord from each side to the hooks in the bed to keep it from slopping around, a cargo bar in front so it doesn't slide forward, and a hard folding tonneau over the bed so it isn't seen or taken.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I've always removed mine, as others have said it's just a shin-banger otherwise. I have a bag for the one I use with the truck and store it in the storage box under the back seat of my Silverado.

I've never heard of a law here against leaving them in and doubt there is one since most trucks I see have them in.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a plastic "crate" in the bed of the truck. Contains tie-down straps, bunjee cords, gloves, and my hitch when not in use. I have a bunjee cord from each side to the hooks in the bed to keep it from slopping around, a cargo bar in front so it doesn't slide forward, and a hard folding tonneau over the bed so it isn't seen or taken.
Same thing here. Small storage tote with a few tools and tie-downs. I keep the hitch in a small canvas bag in the tote so it doesn't get dirt/rust all over everything else. I have a soft tonneau cover, and the tote is secured to the bed with a bungee cord.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts