Old Pa-pa
11,744 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Sounds like I have 5 more years left till I'm computer free.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hiya,

Relax, this isn't a new concept in the CPU/OS world. It's not that Win 10 is the only OS that will run on the new chipsets, it's just the only one "that's supported". That means that if you get a new processor, install Win7 on it, it may not run well and if you call MS for support, they won't support it. The same thing happened when Intel released the 64 bit Core2Duo, all those 16 bit DOS, Windows 95/98/ME users were left behind in the dust.

The story here is that as chips progress, the old architecture is not carried forward. Since the older OS doesn't know about the new chip design, it won't work unless the code is updated. MS has said that Win 10 is the last non server OS they will publish, from now on, there will just be "service branches" (service pack updates) that will update the OS to current hardware. Mac has done the same with iOS10.

·
Super Moderator
5,540 Posts
Hiya,

Relax, this isn't a new concept in the CPU/OS world. It's not that Win 10 is the only OS that will run on the new chipsets, it's just the only one "that's supported". That means that if you get a new processor, install Win7 on it, it may not run well and if you call MS for support, they won't support it. The same thing happened when Intel released the 64 bit Core2Duo, all those 16 bit DOS, Windows 95/98/ME users were left behind in the dust.

The story here is that as chips progress, the old architecture is not carried forward. Since the older OS doesn't know about the new chip design, it won't work unless the code is updated. MS has said that Win 10 is the last non server OS they will publish, from now on, there will just be "service branches" (service pack updates) that will update the OS to current hardware. Mac has done the same with iOS10.
^^^^^^^^^
+1

Actually, IMHO, if you are in the market for a "next gen" why would you want anything less than the latest OS anyway. Personally, now that I have it, I think Win 10 is awesome. I was a very skeptical "upgrader" from Win 7. Worried about what architecture we will be stuck with from here on out. Man, what a relief to see how little it's changed to the eye, but much more efficient under the hood. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,744 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
+1

Actually, IMHO, if you are in the market for a "next gen" why would you want anything less than the latest OS anyway. Personally, now that I have it, I think Win 10 is awesome. I was a very skeptical "upgrader" from Win 7. Worried about what architecture we will be stuck with from here on out. Man, what a relief to see how little it's changed to the eye, but much more efficient under the hood. :thumbup1gif:
Still don't like the feeling we're being "herded" by Microsoft in a heavy handed way.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
+1

Win 10 is great. I have been using it since it came out in late July. If you do not like the way it looks, you can download a free client at Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements to make it look like older Windows versions, but enjoy the benefits of the newest version. You just as well get used to it as you will no longer be able to buy the older versions and your PC will only last so long, before you have to replace it. This is not Win8, but a new versions where they have brought back the start menu. I still do part-time computer work and I only have one client who decided he wanted the old Windows look. All the others have been just fine with it, including some who will admit they are not computer literate. A little trick to help you along with the new version: right click on the start menu button and you will see all the old menu choices, such as Control Panel, etc. By the way, this also worked with Win 8.1. When I can't find something quick enough in the Win 10 systems menu, I use the right click method.

Dave

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I mentioned most of this in the Windows 10 Thread but it is worth mentioning again. All of our machines have been upgraded to Win10. I have been using it since early Beta releases on some virtual systems. Really it isn't that bad but the areas that I have seen the most complaints have to do with removed features like Media Player. Now there is no free player for DVD movies and ripping MP3s. Also there are privacy concerns. I mentioned that there is Spybot Anti-Beacon which is a great way of addressing any privacy issues.

My new home computer runs a i7-6700K which is a LGA 1151 socket Skylake processor so it is advised that I upgrade to Win10. I had installed Win10 on it anyhow when I built the PC and for any applications that need an older OS I run HyperV with either a Win 7 and a XP machine. With 32GB of RAM in the main machine, it doesn't even notice the VMs running.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Still don't like the feeling we're being "herded" by Microsoft in a heavy handed way.
its all part of the plan, oc. if you want to know what that is, pm me and i'll tell you- i wouldnt want to scare anyone with a conspiracy theory!:laugh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
most complaints have to do with removed features like Media Player. Now there is no free player for DVD movies and ripping MP3s.
Windows Media Player is still available free from Microsoft for Windows 10. DVD player is also free if you upgraded from a version of Windows that had Media Center. I haven't tried to rip any mp3s.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
All my phones and tablets are all Mac, maybe time to switch from a windows based machine to Mac.:munch:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
its all part of the plan, oc. if you want to know what that is, pm me and i'll tell you- i wouldnt want to scare anyone with a conspiracy theory!:laugh:
Government pays big $ for this stuff and our information.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Windows Media Player is still available free from Microsoft for Windows 10. DVD player is also free if you upgraded from a version of Windows that had Media Center. I haven't tried to rip any mp3s.
Hmm, I never looked for it as I don't use those apps on my devices. I am in the camp that if I watch something on my laptop, (pretty darn rare) it is Netflix. Heck I am trying to find a MS Surface like device that has a DVD Drive for my Brother-in-law. He is a lawyer and needs to take the device into court as well as jail to meet with clients. He doesn't want to mess with an external USB DVD Drive all the time. I told him to copy the files over to the laptop from a share or have a dock for the surface with the DVD drive and copy them over there but he sometimes gets the disks at the courthouse and needs to play them right away and he doesn't want to mess with it and doesn't have the highest technical abilities and no desire to learn them. So I am back to the smallest laptop I can find but he prefers the form factor of the Surface Pro that my Sister (also a Lawyer) uses. Even the small laptops these days are hard to find with a DVD.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Hiya,
Relax, this isn't a new concept in the CPU/OS world. It's not that Win 10 is the only OS that will run on the new chipsets, it's just the only one "that's supported". That means that if you get a new processor, install Win7 on it, it may not run well and if you call MS for support, they won't support it...
I agree with what you're saying and you bring up valid points. I'm very skeptical about the benefits that await the average user with an OS designed around a specific chipset.

What grinds my gears (especially with windows) is the over head that works its way into the OS. Starting with Windows 7, they implemented the delayed service startup and gave people the quick start screen giving them the false hope that the computer was fast. The problem was after the background services and helper applications started, the machine was slow again. Average users have no idea what services or helper applications can be safely stopped with out loosing functionality, so whats one to do? Don't get me started on the "trial" software that comes installed with the OS, I'll decide what I need.

If one has low capacity, old (yet functioning) hardware I contend it can be kept in service longer by selecting one of the linux distros. The old laptop I'm going to mess with isn't worth the cost of purchasing a windows license, there's no way it would run windows 8 let alone 10, but it's a long way from dead.

The bottom line is that I'm grateful to have valid OS options other than windows (and Mac) even though I use both daily. When I choose an open source OS I send'em $ to help with development and updates. The opens source route is not for everyone, but it is a valid option and certainly has it's place.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I agree with what you're saying and you bring up valid points. I'm very skeptical about the benefits that await the average user with an OS designed around a specific chipset.

What grinds my gears (especially with windows) is the over head that works its way into the OS. Starting with Windows 7, they implemented the delayed service startup and gave people the quick start screen giving them the false hope that the computer was fast. The problem was after the background services and helper applications started, the machine was slow again. Average users have no idea what services or helper applications can be safely stopped with out loosing functionality, so whats one to do? Don't get me started on the "trial" software that comes installed with the OS, I'll decide what I need.

If one has low capacity, old (yet functioning) hardware I contend it can be kept in service longer by selecting one of the linux distros. The old laptop I'm going to mess with isn't worth the cost of purchasing a windows license, there's no way it would run windows 8 let alone 10, but it's a long way from dead.

The bottom line is that I'm grateful to have valid OS options other than windows (and Mac) even though I use both daily. When I choose an open source OS I send'em $ to help with development and updates. The opens source route is not for everyone, but it is a valid option and certainly has it's place.
A lot of the overhead that you speak of is going to fall under driver support though and enabling new features and capabilities that the newer hardware has. You can't expect them to go back and update the driver support for win XP to support the new hardware. At some point they have to draw the line. From what I have read, they support Skylake on Win 8 but recommend 10.

As a general rule, I tell people to stick with software from the generation of the hardware if possible. As you get too far down the path of newer generation software on older generation hardware is where you start to run into issues. Not always but you will see performance and other hits.

As you point out there are other options like Linux distributions but that doesn't work well for everyone. There simply are times where they are trying to use some hardware or software that simply isn't compatible with those platforms. It is a good option to have but doesn't always help.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,744 Posts
Government pays big $ for this stuff and our information.
Ain't just government, lots of companies pay "big time" to know what products you're interested in.
Ford, JD, Northern Tool, CPO, electronics, etc, etc.
Some I don't mind, some are just flat out aggravating.
Your spending trends, what you're currently interested in, ads you go for, are of much interest
to their sales department.
Never forget what makes the world go round :gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

:lol:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
All my phones and tablets are all Mac, maybe time to switch from a windows based machine to Mac.:munch:

I suspect you would be surprised to find out just how much Apple is tracking you. Have you ever heard of iBeacon???? This has been going a lot longer than what Windows is now doing. Do a search for Apple tracking you and check it out.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I can safely say win 10 was not good to me yesterday. I have disabled most of the apps, installed protect my choice for those annoying adds and got the system working great until an MS automatic security downloaded yesterday that crashed my computer. All I can say is good thing I am old enough to have used DOS to get it back up and running in safe mode. It took over an hour to get my brand new $1300.00 dell laptop back up and running. (lost all my saved passwords though) Bad enough dell installs that crap security (not going to name it) even when you tell them not to, it tries to take over anything you install and creates conflicts but this win 10, not liking it to much. I am not a computer genius but know enough to get me into trouble! I liked win 7. There seems to be an issue with the internet explorer 11 with this win 10. I need to use Google Chrome for some things like reading our local newspaper and a few others, they just will not run correctly with explorer 11. I feel like we are the beta testers! :dunno:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I recently had an incident with a Windows 10 update. My main computer is an HP Envy desktop running Windows 10. Also have an HP all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. This comes with a small program called "HP Solution Center" for controlling the AIO. The other day I wanted to scan something and this program would not work, would just flash on the screen so fast couldn't see any message from it. Searched the web and finally found that a recent Windows 10 automatic update was likely causing the problem and advised to uninstall the update to fix. I did the uninstall and the program worked again, of course the next day the automatic Windows 10 update was installed again and the program wouldn't work again, had to uninstall the update again. This happened several times. There is no way in Windows 10 to stop these automatic updates from installing as in past Windows versions.

But hasn't happened in several days now, maybe this update was causing other problems and MS killed it as I no longer see it on my computer (showed up as "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3132372)") and my "HP Solution Center" is still working. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts