Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1026R that has begun having starting issues. When cold in the morning I can hear 'click, click' and then I jiggle the key in the ignition and it starts. Daily it gets a little more difficult . . . I need to replace something.

I'm looking for some expert advise so I replace the right component the first time.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Do you have a multi meter? You need to measure the voltage entering the ignition switch and then the voltage leaving the switch towards the solenoid when in the start position.
I would guess that if a key jiggle made a difference then it is likely the contact failing in the switch which would show a voltage drop under load.

A test light would also work, and if you don't have one you could make one from any 12 volt lamp.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sounds like a bad ign switch to me. "Start" is a spring loaded position back to "Run" when you release the key. The bearing surfaces inside of the switch is plastic and wear, to the point the contacts inside of the switch down't "make." Wiggling aligns the contacts. Bob

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
Moderators; I think this thread was posted in the wrong section. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having a bad day with brain farts. :laugh:
Moved it, thank you. But don’t hesitate to use the “report post” button down at the bottom. :good2:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Without actually putting my hands on it I can't say for sure what it is. But I will say that the ignition switch, light switch and pto switches were problem areas. A very cheap meter can be had at horrible fraught for a couple bucks or free. Would be nice to know if battery voltage is making it to the starter solenoid wire.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys . . . lots of good input and things for me to try. I have a meter so that's on my list to test.

I'll get to this the first of next week.

:good2:

·
Premium Member
9,086 Posts
Thanks guys . . . lots of good input and things for me to try. I have a meter so that's on my list to test.

I'll get to this the first of next week.

:good2:
Marlin,

It appears the switch is part number LVU29433, which mentions it replaces part number AM133596. Please note that regardless of the serial number, they are calling for the same part number. However, the AM133596 part number is only referenced in tractors with a VIN Number up to 1LV1026RAHJ200000. The tractors with VIN numbers 1LV1026RAHJ200001 do not mention the AM133596 part number.

Bottom line, from Deere, the part number is now the LVU29433 where those tractors with the earlier VIN numbers mention the new number replacing the AM133596 part number. The cost difference is substantial depending upon the source.

AM133596 is available on Amazon for $16.23 Amazon.com : John Deere Original Equipment Rotary Switch #AM133596 : Garden Outdoor

The LVU29433 switch is for sale for Greenparts for $46.11, John Deere Ignition Switch - LVU29433

As always, check your tractor VIN number in the parts lookup just to be safe.

I took pictures of my VIN number on my various equipment and stored them in a special photo album on my phone for easy reference.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[I said:
SulleyBear[/I];3122858]Marlin,

It appears the switch is part number LVU29433, which mentions it replaces part number AM133596. Please note that regardless of the serial number, they are calling for the same part number. However, the AM133596 part number is only referenced in tractors with a VIN Number up to 1LV1026RAHJ200000. The tractors with VIN numbers 1LV1026RAHJ200001 do not mention the AM133596 part number.

Bottom line, from Deere, the part number is now the LVU29433 where those tractors with the earlier VIN numbers mention the new number replacing the AM133596 part number. The cost difference is substantial depending upon the source.

AM133596 is available on Amazon for $16.23 Amazon.com : John Deere Original Equipment Rotary Switch #AM133596 : Garden Outdoor

The LVU29433 switch is for sale for Greenparts for $46.11, John Deere Ignition Switch - LVU29433

As always, check your tractor VIN number in the parts lookup just to be safe.

I took pictures of my VIN number on my various equipment and stored them in a special photo album on my phone for easy reference.
SulleyBear ~ Thanks for your research/input. I did end-up going the Deere yesterday and that is the part number they sold me, LVU29433. $46 & change . . . a terrible price for a '$2 to build' item (if that much). :banghead::banghead:

As I say . . . 'You go to buy something and everybody has their hand out.'
:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Duke Snyder
1 - 9 of 9 Posts