Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently welding rods and galvanized bolts are WAYYYY cheaper then buying lug nuts in northern VT... :laugh:
DSC01494.JPG DSC01495.JPG

And of course its on the "expensive" side...the idler wheel side is fine...:think:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Now there are some interesting ideas of fixing something. Are you going to leave it or fix it properly. Any plans on turning some dirt over with it? Or is this a restoration project?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL.
The master plan is this....restore it 100%...I dunno if you've seen pics of my projects, but I'm super anal when it comes to stuff like that....But it wont be a trailer queen by any stretch of the imagination. It will be plowing my garden in a few weeks and again next spring. I plan on completely dismantling EVERY bolt from it, have it all sandblasted and make it show worthy again.

My only question now is what I'm gonna do with the bottoms...general consensus is that they'll be fine to plow my garden, but parts are non existent. So I'm contemplating replacing both bottoms with IH Super Chief (modern) bottoms....but it will all depend on if I can find the frogs, etc... reasonably priced.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see now why its so collectible. You sure wont find many like that! I also like the rope on it...LOL
The rope is SUPPOSED to be there...thats how these old trip plows operated back in the "pre hydraulic" days. Pull the rope and it engages a clutch in the wheel and the whole plow "hops" up into transport position...pull the rope again and it drops down to work position.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
That is an excellent plan. Sounds like you and I think alike. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is some cool rusty metal. Can't wait to see it done.

D.
Yeah, I agree with you. Them old time "engineers" sure were smart fellers....how the trip lift works is super simple yet kinda amazing how slick it works.
Speaking of the the rust, Age has treated this plow exceptionally well. While its totally coated in rust, its got no pits or pitting...just a solid even coat of "surface rust" so when its sandblasted/primed and painted, I think it will be better then new. Seriously the late 80's/early 90's Fisher plow I did up for my FEL was in way rougher shape...tons of pits, even some pin holes... These plows were made from the 20's thru the late 50's I believe....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So...Got a question for you guys......I tend to overthink most things so I need some help here :laugh:

Intent....At the end of the day I want a working 2 bottom plow...something I can use to plow my garden and anything else I want to plow. Seriously, if Deere would have offered a new 2 bottom trailer type plow, I woulda ordered one this summer....

Problems...Because this is so old, wear parts for the bottoms are non existent. I've already been offered more for a few parts off the bottoms then I paid for the whole plow. I just gotta find some Super Chief frogs (Modern IH Plow bottoms that utilize the "disposable" parts) and they'll bolt right on. Pro = Replacement parts are no problem Con = it wouldnt be "correct"
Another thing is the wheels...I havent taken it apart yet, but I KNOW I need 2 new rims and the trip wheel is ??? as far as what I can do to it (mechanically it works perfect). Apparently the correct rims are hard to find and odd. SOOO...What I was thinking is cut off the existing spindles and weld on some modern spindles with modern 5 lug hubs...then its "cheap & easy" to get 2 new rims & tires. But at that point I need to convert it to hydraulic lift and it wouldnt be correct....

Other then plow my garden, In the future, I'd like to restore a tractor with my little man, so attending plow days would also be on the list.

What say you guys...go original factory or make it "new & modern"
Yeah Yeah, I know it would probably be easier to find a newer one...but newer ones are TOUGH to find in 2 bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts