Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom line, Home Depot is no longer honoring the 5% competitive Lowes discount. :nunu:

As most know, Lowes offers 5% off everyday when you use a Lowes credit card. For years, Home Depot matched that discount when you use a Home Depot credit card and show your Lowes card at checkout. Well, I just found out that HD is no longer honoring that price match, and I confirmed that it is corporate wide. HD did say that they are still offering the 10% military discount.

When I was shopping at HD recently, the checkout person told me that the 5% Lowes discount was no more. When I asked, she said that was because "Lowes was discontinuing the 5% off every day too". Well, I also checked with Lowes, and there was no truth to that.

The only reason I have a HD credit card is to get the 5% discount. In addition, there is a HD about 1/2 mile from my work that I pass every work day. My closest Lowes is about 20 minutes away from home, in the opposite direction from work, so it's not as convenient. Looks like Lowes will become my home center of choice.

I do try to buy local mom and pop, but you really can't beat the convenience of the big home centers for variety and price.

I called HD and submitted my official complaint, the woman was really nice and understood, she also told me that there have been numerous similar complaints since the change. So I am not alone.

Thanks for letting me vent. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Bottom line,

The only reason I have a HD credit card is to get the 5% discount. In addition, there is a HD about 1/2 mile from my work that I pass every work day. My closest Lowes is about 20 minutes away from home, in the opposite direction from work, so it's not as convenient. Looks like Lowes will become my home center of choice.

Thanks for letting me vent. :flag_of_truce:
I see you have the HD card,,,

So, were you previously able to double dip,, 5% HD, and 5% Lowes,,, or what?? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you have the HD card,,,

So, were you previously able to double dip,, 5% HD, and 5% Lowes,,, or what?? :dunno:
IIRC when you apply for the HD card, you only get a discount on the first purchase. After that, you may qualify for some 0% interest on large purchases, but no "everyday" discount. It just became a regular store charge card with occasional perks. HD only gave you 5% off if you showed that you had a Lowes charge card too.

Most all credit cards don't allow you to combine discounts, so no double dipping, just able to match the Lowes 5%. Interesting, was that the HD match was ONLY if you charged on a HD card, just like at Lowes, where you have to use the Lowes charge card. I found that out when I requested the matching discount on an AMEX card, no go. They said "it had to be the same discount"... must have both Lowes card and HD card.

It was good while it lasted. Saved 5% on a Honda EU2000i a couple of months ago, even though I had to pay sales tax, I was able to load it in my trunk and not worry about shipping damage.

BTW, the HD customer service woman chuckled when I said it was interesting that HD didn't announce that they were discontinuing the Lowes match.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Start photo copying your Lowes receipts and sending them to HD with a note "look what I bought at Lowes since you dropped the 5% match for using my HD credit card."

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
I don't much from them since they wanted to see my ID for me to buy spray paint from them, I was in my upper 50's at the time! :banghead:

I do go into HD to kill time while the wife is in Michael's craft store, just don't buy much! :lol:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
5% that would never stop me from buying something I need.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Agree , lots of time I even forget I have the Lowes card to get the 5% off. .just because I usually pay cash.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We have menards in the Midwest. The have 11 percent off sales Home Depot matches them.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree , lots of time I even forget I have the Lowes card to get the 5% off. .just because I usually pay cash.
Yeah, 5% is not a lot, but it's the principle of price matching. And maybe "it's only 5%", but hey, it's much better than 0% and to me a discount is a discount. For a $100 item, I'd rather pay $95 than the full price.

I mentioned that I bought a Honda EU2000i recently from HD, the price was $899, and everywhere I checked, whether it be online or in stores, they all sell for the same price (something that Honda controls, I'm pretty sure). Well that was a $45 savings. If that's not a big savings, then I'll invite all who disagree to send me a check for $45 (I'll PM my address or give you my paypal account) :laugh::laugh::laugh: Just kidding.

And if I really need something, I'll agree, not getting the 5% wouldn't stop me from buying it. Matter of fact, I've paid more for somethings I NEEDED to stores that had the item in stock ... just because I REALLY NEEDED IT right then and there.

Just my 2 cents on principles.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
This is interesting because I'm pretty sure HD still has the policy of beating a quote by 10%. Not sure why the Lowes 5% discount would be different...?
HD and Lowe's go back and forth with this kind of thing all the time. Lowe's started with the "If you use our card we'll give you 5% off" and customers went for it. HD came out with their own promo and then decided to match Lowe's because they thought they were losing customers. After a while they look at their card holder churn rate, balance the numbers and if they aren't "winning" by running the match, they end it.

When I worked for Lowe's they used to claim that the average customer spent something like $600/year at Lowe's but a customer with a Lowe's credit card averaged upward of $1800/year. So they REALLY want people to have that card.

All of the decisions on what promos are honored back and forth between the two chains are made by the number crunchers at the Corp HQs and it's all based customer traffic and spending patterns.

·
Registered
423 Posts
HD and Lowe's go back and forth with this kind of thing all the time. Lowe's started with the "If you use our card we'll give you 5% off" and customers went for it. HD came out with their own promo and then decided to match Lowe's because they thought they were losing customers. After a while they look at their card holder churn rate, balance the numbers and if they aren't "winning" by running the match, they end it.

When I worked for Lowe's they used to claim that the average customer spent something like $600/year at Lowe's but a customer with a Lowe's credit card averaged upward of $1800/year. So they REALLY want people to have that card.

All of the decisions on what promos are honored back and forth between the two chains are made by the number crunchers at the Corp HQs and it's all based customer traffic and spending patterns.
My father is a department head at HD. I routinely take advantage of their "beat a quote by 10%" policy. I guess my point was/is, I don't see how this 5% thing is different? Is it feasible to get a quote from Lowes with 5% off and have HD beat it by 10% (meaning 15% off)? That's what I would do...

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
My father is a department head at HD. I routinely take advantage of their "beat a quote by 10%" policy. I guess my point was/is, I don't see how this 5% thing is different? Is it feasible to get a quote from Lowes with 5% off and have HD beat it by 10% (meaning 15% off)? That's what I would do...

They won't do that. When you get your quote from Lowe's the 5% won't ever be mentioned on it - even though you can jump up and down and claim that you'll get it. That 5% isn't under the control of anyone in the store and won't show up until you swipe your Lowe's credit card at the register. So your "quote" will always be the price BEFORE that 5% is taken off.

If you read the HD Price match page they say "Prices must be regular retail prices of competitors.". That post-5% discount isn't the "regular retail price". That's the same thing both stores use to prevent people from beating them down to nothing. I saw a few people try. They'd go to HD and get a quote and then pop in at Lowe's and ask for their price match + an additional 10% off. Get a final quote from Lowe's and then go back to HD with that and ask for their price match +10%, etc, etc... The people at both stores have been trained to look for people doing that.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I don't much from them since they wanted to see my ID for me to buy spray paint from them, I was in my upper 50's at the time! :banghead:

I do go into HD to kill time while the wife is in Michael's craft store, just don't buy much! :lol:
So Lowell, been a tagger for long?!!!!! You must have that "look" like you tag railroad cars! :laugh::lol:

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts

So Lowell, been a tagger for long?!!!!! You must have that "look" like you tag railroad cars! :laugh::lol:
:lolol:

As long as I'm buying orange paint they don't even ask, they know why.....:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
This is interesting because I'm pretty sure HD still has the policy of beating a quote by 10%. Not sure why the Lowes 5% discount would be different...?
I thought it was "match", not "match plus additional 10%" off. A couple of years ago I asked them to "match", which they did, they did not mention an additional 10% off too.

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
It's corporate policy apparently, they can't give their clerks enough credit to make a judgement call about a customer's age. Wal-Mart even does better than that!

The time that happened, I left everything I was going to buy on the counter & told the clerk why & to pass the information on to her bosses!

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I thought it was "match", not "match plus additional 10%" off. A couple of years ago I asked them to "match", which they did, they did not mention an additional 10% off too.

I think that may be a fairly recent change for HD. They used to just match but I haven't had to look into in 2 or 3 years now.

Lowe's always did the price match + an additional 10%.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I think that may be a fairly recent change for HD. They used to just match but I haven't had to look into in 2 or 3 years now.

Lowe's always did the price match + an additional 10%.

When I purchase my home, I bought a whole host of items all at once including 1350 SqFt of oak hardwood flooring. Got it for 2.25 a square foot, which was a steal to begin with. I had price matches from various lumber yards including lowes. I got price matches from each department and I opened a HD credit card at the same time. Got the 10% discount on that complete set of purchases as well. They did not make much on me for those purchases! No longer have the card.... And did not keep anything on the card beyond the first mo after purchase.:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts