Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished clearing about an acre of big timber for our new home on a 5 acre lot. Thought I would document our progress here with photos. I will be using the timbers and wood required for the home, from what I get off the lot. House requires some posts and beams which I am having cut from all the Cherry , oak, and Poplar. I won't need wood for about a year, and I'm drying a lot of it in a green house. Here are some photos. Of 2 months of work so far.

photo-20.jpg

photo-24.jpg

photo-110.jpg

photo-102.jpg

photo-115.png

photo_zps53bd4d14.jpg

photo_zps4bed708f.jpg

photo_zpsef3231df.jpg

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
Wow Todd, looks like a great project-I am looking forward to following your progress. :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Thats amazing. Looking forward to future pics. How much dry time is required for the wood? Just the year?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Building it yourself or having it built using some of your wood?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats amazing. Looking forward to future pics. How much dry time is required for the wood? Just the year?
The 1" boards will only take a couple months in a greenhouse with proper ventilation. The heavy timbers ate going in a kiln.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Building it yourself or having it built using some of your wood?
It's a complicated build and i have a job, so I am using a general contractor for the build. I will be doing all the dozer work and the flooring.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
It's a complicated build and i have a job, so I am using a general contractor for the build. I will be doing all the dozer work and the flooring.
So it sounds like you will be the GC over the GC. Good way to do it, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That is very cool. I paid to have my lot cleared, knowing well that the excavator was then selling the good stuff he cut down. Do you have any idea how much money you will save with this approach? Not that you can measure he value of being able to say that the major wood in the house was "locally sourced".

How do you prevent that lumber from twisting up as it dries? Is there a magic formula to stacking for it to dry relatively straight?

Looking forward to following the project. We build last year, or should I say, had our house built last year. It is a lot of stress with great reward.

Lee

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That is very cool. I paid to have my lot cleared, knowing well that the excavator was then selling the good stuff he cut down. Do you have any idea how much money you will save with this approach? Not that you can measure he value of being able to say that the major wood in the house was "locally sourced".

How do you prevent that lumber from twisting up as it dries? Is there a magic formula to stacking for it to dry relatively straight?

Looking forward to following the project. We build last year, or should I say, had our house built last year. It is a lot of stress with great reward.

Lee
The timber package for the home is $58,000 through accent truss co. I have way more wood but am hesitant to attempt the trusses on my own. I think I will just be supplying beams, posts, mantles,corbels, and knee braces. I'm paying near 0 for the timber.

Drying is up in the air right now for the heavy timbers. I have them stacked with 1" sticks (stickers) spaced evenly to allow air flow. The small stuff is being dried in a greenhouse. I am looking into a kiln for the big stuff.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
filled the greenhouse up, I need four more..

·
Premium Member
15,071 Posts
Neat ,,,keep up the good work. Wife and I built ours 41 or 42 yrs ago. Alot of hard work ,but very little loan to pay back. Dad was a carpenter , but just about the time we started the foundation , dad became ill so wasn't able to do very much. Told me a lot of things , plus I had been working with him so I had a general idea of all the work of building a house. Had footer and blocks done by a friend . Did the rest of the work ourselfs. So far ceiling is still on ceiling and all sides are where they should be so guessing it should hold up another 40 yrs.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the lot flattened and all of the stumps removed. Put first layer of slag down for driveway.

Began digging basement.

Finished digging, laying out foundation with gps.

Anyone need 50-60 stumps? I'll give them away but shipping might be a bit high.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Someone has been busy. Thanks for the update ToddM.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Reactions: Levi
1 - 20 of 228 Posts