Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hughes Gen 5 Satellite installers are here to install their grossly overpriced, underperforming satellite internet service. For the past four years when we lived in Kansas City, we enjoyed 1 Gig Google Fiber service for a flat fee of $70/month (taxes included). The new "Hughes Gen 5" system may provide up-to 20 MB service for "only" $75/month (includes equipment rental) PLUS taxes. At least they "threw in" free installation and $50 the first month. Deals for both Viasat and Hughes seem to be dependent upon geographic locations. They also don't "offer" discounts unless you ask.

Sadly, the only other option in our rural location is Excite/Viasat, which was about the same price and speeds. Reviews for both companies are poor, although I have family in Northern Minnesota with both companies who are satisfied. To add to my woes, our neighbors are on Midiacom for $40/mo with 50mb service, but they are "across the road" and out of Midiacom's service area!

For the past seven months we've attempted to get by using a Verizon Hotspot, which worked great until the speeds started to get throttled down to under "dial-up" speeds. We've never been able to do streaming type activities, but until recently, it was good enough to teach our online classes (both my wife and I teach) and do basic email and internet work.

Hopefully in two years when the contract is up, other options will be available for this part of NW Missouri.

IMG_4496.jpeg

·
Registered
21,561 Posts
I started out with Hughes many years ago - it was my first internet service. It was in it infancy then and I was one of their beta testers.

Then one day I saw a cable contractor running lines on my way home from work. Every week they were getting closer and closer to my house. But I figured it would never get there.

Then one day they ran the cable to the power pole in my yard - happy days - or so I thought....

I knew who the cable provider was so I called them - I want hooked up! But no - they do not provide service where I live. But what about the cable on my power pole....??

Finally got on a forum like ours here with helpful people. A tech from the company frequented there. I got his attention. He told me to take a pic of the terminal box up on the pole which I did.

3 days later they were there hooking me up.

I thought I died and went to heaven! Unlimited internet (no caps) and 10 times the speed and 1/3 the cost.

So I feel for you - it's going to be a long 2 years. Those caps and throttling were the worst. I had to set what forums I could to not show pics - if I viewed the posted pics I would hit my cap quickly.

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
We're in the same boat with Hughes Net, grossly overrated, one would think that there is a minimum speed required to be calling it "high speed'. I ran a speed test one night and results read like this:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, WTF is this :banghead:

:lol:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
All the commercials they run would suggest they are the best thing since delivered pizza. What a joke. There is little intellectual honesty left in marketing. We are stuck in a similar dilemma but ill be damned if I'm going back to dialup speeds for a premium. I use Verizon unlimited but little or no streaming.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're in the same boat with Hughes Net, grossly overrated, one would think that there is a minimum speed required to be calling it "high speed'. I ran a speed test one night and results read like this:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, WTF is this :banghead:

We're hooked up and I can't even open a YouTube video. No more Tractor a Time with Tim unless things improve. Current download speed is 0.36 mb. Tech support said it would speed up once the modem "has settled" for 24 hours. This could be a disaster.

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
We're hooked up and I can't even open a YouTube video. No more Tractor a Time with Tim unless things improve. Current download speed is 0.36 mb. Tech support said it would speed up once the modem "has settled" for 24 hours. This could be a disaster.
So, according to tech support your modem is suffering from anxiety

Good one, really got love that tech support for having all the answers

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
On a positive note, it’s not actually that bad, I mean, you can’t really stream much because it chews the data limit fast. But, it’s not as bad as many would think, I have no problem watching YouTube, this site is honestly the slowest of any I use.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A fair way would be to test drive it before you sign the fugging contract. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We had Hughesnet on our motorhome (with a high dollar automatic dish) - it was a source of continuous pain. At our ranch we are fortunate enough to have a great wireless Internet provider, I pay about $100 a month for a static IP address and 10 Mbit download speed with no caps. Very reliable. This old retired geek is a happy camper.

·
Registered
340 Posts
We have had Exede for going on 4 years. They recently started offering "unlimited" plans here at up to 25 mbps. We have typically been getting around 13-18 mbps when I test it. We haven't had any issues with it. I've been impressed. No options here other than satellite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have had Exede for going on 4 years. They recently started offering "unlimited" plans here at up to 25 mbps. We have typically been getting around 13-18 mbps when I test it. We haven't had any issues with it. I've been impressed. No options here other than satellite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The Hughes and Exede (now Excede/Viasat) plans are now almost identification. Both are unlimited, but also throttle down once your monthly cap has been reached. The ping delay is frustrating, but I did get to watch growing Deer TV on YouTube last night. Here are my results this morning, which are excellent.

IMG_0073.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
currently we are in the works of getting fiber optic the one thing governor cuomo has done right.. should be the 3rd quarter of 2018 by Armstrong communications.(hopefully not strong arm in the deal) but would be way faster than Hughes net and Verizon (line on rd is from bell communication) phone. they have been putting up taller poles.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imagine our frustration when, after having our utilities marked, we discovered there is a CenturyLink line in our front yard. I contacted the the company, and was informed that they are currently not subscribing new customers in our area (or in the foreseeable future).

Egad, 100mb service for 1/2 the price of HughesNet just 40' from the house and we can’t subscribe.

28BCC173-5671-41C8-BAD6-78BDE2FB3216.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
That sounds like a real technical term there. Did you ask him what the Ohm's Law formula for "settling time" was?

So, according to tech support your modem is suffering from anxiety

Good one, really got love that tech support for having all the answers
Apparently a Millennial Modem. Be careful to not hurt its feelings or it will a) hide in the closet & cry, or b) shoot up a school.

Imagine our frustration when, after having our utilities marked, we discovered there is a CenturyLink line in our front yard. I contacted the the company, and was informed that they are currently not subscribing new customers in our area (or in the foreseeable future).

Egad, 100mb service for 1/2 the price of HughesNet just 40' from the house and we can’t subscribe.

View attachment 615914
Same thing here. Fiber is run down the road, but nothing (or no one) is connected to it.

Only thing that was connected to the house was the telegraph line. Ain't had a land line or any use for one in years so I cut it off the house and back to the pole.

I have fiber optic buried in our road frontage. Part of Obama's grand plan to connect schools, government offices, etc. - but not for the use of the general public. :banghead:
We retired Obama, retire his stupid plan as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I live on a rural road in SW Michigan. Our only "high speed" internet choice is Frontier Communications. They are absolutely terrible. The internet signal is constantly going out and when it does work it is frequently much slower than the advertised "up to 6mbps". The only thing they know how to do good is raise our rates and make mistakes on the bill (always in their favor). Good luck getting either the bill or internet fixed. I definitely do not recommend them.

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
Apparently a Millennial Modem. Be careful to not hurt its feelings or it will a) hide in the closet & cry, or b) shoot up a school.

Maybe the modem needs an emotional support dog :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I feel the rural internet pain too.

We used to live in town, with lots of options. We moved out of town, because neighbors mostly stink in town, or at least my neighbors have been nothing like me over the years and many rentals before we bought our previous house. There are exceptions of course, but Im getting way off track.

Anyway, in looking for a house in the county, we never even thought to look at what internet services were available.
Turns out, in our new house, it was none. Well, none that we knew of.
I was about to do satellite, but data limits are a big no no here. 3 kids, youtube, netflix, etc, and that would be eaten up in a few days.
Initially no one offered unlimited data on wireless plans, especially covering hotspot use, so that was out too.
I did find out that there are a few Wireless Internet providers near me, so I started looking at that. Thats what we now use, and while slow, there are no data limits, no slow downs, etc. Its a point to point wireless system, so we have a small "receiver" that looks like a small satellite dish, that points to a tower, usually within 15 miles, but its not cheap.
Right now, its about $55/mo for 5mbps down and 2 up. The good thing is that it works for video conferencing where satellite struggles. And it works for online gaming, where satellite simply wont.

To add to the frustration, Comcast is less than 1/2 mile away, and runs down both roads to the North and South of us, but not down ours. For the paltry sum of $66,000 they will be happy to install their service to our home. Of course we can split that up between the other neighbors on the road, should they wish to do so.
AT&T has a fiber optic line running across 600' of my property, but they wont run to us either. They say its contracted to someone else, and that company is business service only.
We also recently switched to AT&T cell service, which may have been a mistake, because their service around here is awful. They do, however, allow an unlimited hotspot to be added to an unlimited wireless data plan, so we also did that to augment our internet.
The kids can use quite a bit of bandwidth doing homework, watching videos, etc.

I am still dumbfounded that in this day and age, good, fast internet is so hard to find outside of large urban areas. One wireless internet provider we had initially now offers up to 25mbps, at the low monthly cost of $99, which would be outstanding for us compared to what we are used to, cost not withstanding. At that speed, we could probably drop the directv service too, which I certainly wouldnt mind.
I spoke to an AT&T tech a few months back and he said that the company has no plans to extend their network to any more rural areas. They are basically good where they are and are focusing on upgrading their current services. Comcast appears to be the same. It seems that there is a big void out there that a good company could fill.
I am still holding out hope that someone will announce that we have regular service available to us, but Im not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Oh no!

·
Registered
112 Posts
“Has settled”? It’s not a barn foundation....as a software engineer it amazes me what installers will tell non tech savvy people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 23 Posts