Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in a kinda bad spot at the moment, and I'm torn on what kind of motor to put in the 317.
After careful consideration I'm going to put either my brother's diesel or my K321 in my 140 (which I need to go get)

I'm torn between three options:
Kohler Magnum
Kohler command
KT17 series 2

Pros and cons of both:
Magnum-Good power, direct bolt in, I have 2 parts engines; Impossible to find in one piece, some parts are wicked expensive, lubrication issues without constant maintenance, needs wiring modified
Command- Easy to find, parts plentiful, somewhat cheap, direct bolt in*; wiring needs modified, needs remote oil filter, head gasket, valve cover, and valve issues
KT17 series 2- Somewhat Easy to find, parts are somewhat plentiful, direct bolt in; hard to find not wore out, same issues as magnum
*Not sure if it's actually a direct bolt in

Which would be my best option as a teen on a budget?

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
I can’t help you on this but I can reply to move it back up in the order.:good2:

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
So I'm in a kinda bad spot at the moment, and I'm torn on what kind of motor to put in the 317.
After careful consideration I'm going to put either my brother's diesel or my K321 in my 140 (which I need to go get)

I'm torn between three options:
Kohler Magnum
Kohler command
KT17 series 2

Pros and cons of both:
Magnum-Good power, direct bolt in, I have 2 parts engines; Impossible to find in one piece, some parts are wicked expensive, lubrication issues without constant maintenance, needs wiring modified
Command- Easy to find, parts plentiful, somewhat cheap, direct bolt in*; wiring needs modified, needs remote oil filter, head gasket, valve cover, and valve issues
KT17 series 2- Somewhat Easy to find, parts are somewhat plentiful, direct bolt in; hard to find not wore out, same issues as magnum
*Not sure if it's actually a direct bolt in

Which would be my best option as a teen on a budget?
It really gets down to your time and talent. Easy to jump on the K321. Great motor, a little under powered for the 317.
If you can put together a Magnum I'd probably go with that. Do a little research, many Magnum parts are interchangeable with K- series parts. Check some of the pulling sites.
Download the Kohler rebuilders manual and cruise through that. Also, if you are giving the K321 any thoughts read Dave Kirk's article on Killer Kohler's. You could hot rod the 321 for the cost of the big cam and a gasket set.

Reactions: Herminator
1 - 3 of 3 Posts